Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

relativly short period of gow2 development was probably not thanks to ps5 ssd or architecture improvement but because is same engine as gow1 and just story continuation (end of gow1 was quite strange for me)

relativly short period of gow2 development was probably not thanks to ps5 ssd or architecture improvement but because is same engine as gow1 and just story continuation (end of gow1 was quite strange for me)

I doubt the ssd has anything to do with release schedule. Isn't there going to be a ps4 version anyway? It might mean though that the improvements ps5 version has were easier to make thanks to streaming from ssd versus hdd. Difference between ps4 and ps5 version could be bigger than what it otherwise would be. i.e. ssd speed and ease of development allows ps5 to punch above its weight or ps4 is greatly hampered by hdd depending on view point.

We are far from a majority of their games being cross gen...

Destruction allstars, returnal are for sure only on PS5, but they for sure dont look like any better then spiderman etc. Even GT7 and rift apart dont look all that 'true next gen PS5 AAA exclusive' kind of thing. Aside from some RT reflections then.

Seems like a bold move launching a multiplayer only game on a new supply constrained platform.

Destruction All-Stars is going to be a PS Plus game in February, so available to all PS5 gamers. I was actually planning on buying this when it was originally announced, so I'm looking forward to giving it a go in three weeks.

It's a beautiful looking game. I hope the gameplay and destruction work well in tandem.

I actually think this is exactly the type of game that is suitable for a newly released console. Smaller in scope, cheaper to make and more arcade-like. Some of the bigger devs should have had two games in their plans; 1. smaller scope for initial console release (new IP) and 2. a larger game with big production values for when the audience is more mature.

Destruction All-Stars is going to be a PS Plus game in February, so available to all PS5 gamers. I was actually planning on buying this when it was originally announced, so I'm looking forward to giving it a go in three weeks.

It's a beautiful looking game. I hope the gameplay and destruction work well in tandem.

I actually think this is exactly the type of game that is suitable for a newly released console. Smaller in scope, cheaper to make and more arcade-like. Some of the bigger devs should have had two games in their plans; 1. smaller scope for initial console release (new IP) and 2. a larger game with big production values for when the audience is more mature.

So that's what, maybe 8 million maximum if 100% of users download and play?

I'm not commenting on the state of the game, just how it presents an extremely low upper limit on potential player base. There's been numerous multiplayer-only games released to potential 150-200 million players (both last-gen consoles plus PC) and they failed to even maintain 6K monthly players.

So that's what, maybe 8 million maximum if 100% of users download and play?

I'm not commenting on the state of the game, just how it presents an extremely low upper limit on potential player base. There's been numerous multiplayer-only games released to potential 150-200 million players (both last-gen consoles plus PC) and they failed to even maintain 6K monthly players.

This is true in special if you consider regions aswell. Also, destruction allstars is limited to PS plus owners, which not all PS5 owners will have.

Some of the bigger devs should have had two games in their plans; 1. smaller scope for initial console release (new IP) and 2. a larger game with big production values for when the audience is more mature.

YES! Double Fine used to do their own internal game jam for a couple weeks between their big projects. I wish more AAA devs would do this.

Sounds like a great practice to work on the team's morale, creativity, while letting them do some random R&D that may serve then well (or not) and one of the titles may even inspire a next big project or just become an "indie" success on its own. I know its not uncomon for teams to be split off into 2 or 3 smaller ones during pre-production to test out multiple ideas before investing fully on one, but even then they spend many months on those efforts. They could aim for really small 1-2 month projects, and incentive them to actually complete the thing. Even if the ende result never leaves the studio.

If a studio of 200+ very talented people set out to do 10 small projects for a month, with low pressure, at least one is bound to be shippable as-is as a cheaper online store experimental title.

Everything else would be a much larger pool of ideas end experiments for them to take inspiration from for their next Big Budget project, way more fruitful than 2 or 3 large pre-production cycles that are still all playing it a little too safe.

Last edited:
Destruction allstars, returnal are for sure only on PS5, but they for sure dont look like any better then spiderman etc. Even GT7 and rift apart dont look all that 'true next gen PS5 AAA exclusive' kind of thing. Aside from some RT reflections then.
destruction allstar and returnal are not aaa games from top tier studios ;d gt7 is but probably running just on slightly upgraded gt sport engine, and ratchet looks great, close to pixar animation so how much better this type of game can look ?

Last edited:
destruction allstar and returnal are not aaa games from top tier studios ;d gt7 is but probably running just on slightly upgraded gt sport engine, and ratchet looks great, close to pixar animation so how much better this type of game can look ?

what pixar animation from 15 years ago ?

Didnt say they where, just that they were included in a list with 'ps5 only games', but that doesnt in an instant mean that they push the platform, far from it looking how destruction allstars looks visually, same for returnal. GT7 and rift apart push the platform in ways that are not directly visually setting a gen apart, but in form of fast or loading between worlds, or accurate relfetions (GT7), and perhaps framerate coupled with high resolutions (4k60).
They feel more like cross-gen titles watching the visuals, taking advantage of ray tracing and SSD tech, while upping the settings. I do not think for example GT7 and rift apart look much better then spiderman miles morales (which is a cross gen title, and it shows).

I think for real next gen experiences on PS5, we'd have to wait awhile... maybe BF6 will be it (new frostbite is rumoured to bring next gen experience), maybe CP2077 when its patched to next gen, the next uncharted if that comes etc.

no it seems like artificially preventing a customer from allowing legacy software to perform at its best is very anti consumer.

There is nothing artificial about it, it's an engineering decision.

They said they believe in console generations and yet the majority of their games are cross platform. So its obvious that they also believe in making money
Yes, I believe making money is indeed the goal of Sony. Does this shock you? Are Microsoft's secret agenda the proliferation of unicorns and rainbows?

They feel more like cross-gen titles watching the visuals, taking advantage of ray tracing and SSD tech, while upping the settings. I do not think for example GT7 and rift apart look much better then spiderman miles morales (which is a cross gen title, and it shows).

But that's exactly what PC version of cyberpunk is doing over PS4/XBX versions, yet you call it a true next gen leap.
:runaway:

But that's exactly what PC version of cyberpunk is doing over PS4/XBX versions, yet you call it a true next gen leap.
:runaway:

Well, DF findings where that the game is a next gen leap, while the ps4/xbx versions are unplayable, one even got delisted. Graphically its probably the largest difference between versions of games as of late.

I’m not totally agreeing that R&C is “Pixar quality”... but Pixar quality of 15 years ago is still absolutely amazing and still a bit far from what we can do in real time today!

One screenshot comparison show the improvement and it is there. Again play R&C Rift Apart and for people having a PS5 play again the R&C remake I am sure the difference will be there. People memory makes games looking better than they really are.

This is a 4k comparison between Ratchet and Clank PS4 and PS5, R&C artstyle is simple, the improvement by assets is subtle (shading, fur, motion blur, scene complexity) because having much more polygons doesn't work with this type of artstyle. But city looks like a city in R&C Rift Apart with much more action on screen some NPC in the city living in the city.

This is a 2004 pixar movie. Polygons is better if compare to first gen PS5/XS games*, edge AA is far better(analytical aa like the hair in FIFA 21), much more sample, no problem of texture filtering, motion blur and Depth of field are better but shading is much better in games because they use PBR.

People forget PBR arrives 2009/2010 at the same time than raytracing in offline rendering movie. Some exception some rare movies use raytracing before 2009. People idealize old offline rendering movie and games they played before.

There is even a movie with raytracing without PBR and this is very poor from a shading point of view like FF7 advent Children. FF7 Remake shading is better and by far.

Games will be far from offline rendering in indirect lighting quality, scene complexity, partially anti aliasing, texture filtering, maybe vegetation quality and maybe LOD will not be good enough not the case with Nanite for example.

Curious to see what they will do with motion blur and Depth of field.

But from a polygonal point of view, I think we will be there, same with texture quality and some part of edge anti aliasing like hair. Out of raytracing or realtime GI, this is the big news of this beginning of generation; the usage of software rasterizing with Nanite and rasterizing lines for hair in Frosbite.

I don't wait so much first party games from a visual point of view before 2022/2023 because of Sony or Microsoft cross gen policy. I think some third party taking risk like EA with Battlefied or some innovation with hair rendering will set the tone this gen.

*This generation with Nanite or other technical progress of software rasterizing we will not be far from the 1 polygon by pixel and in texture quality we will not be far from the 1 texel by pixel. I think this part will not be so far from old offline rendering. We will be not so far with hair rendering. I am curious to see what devs will do with AA.

Last edited:

One screenshot comparison show the improvement and it is there. Again play R&C Rift Apart and for people having a PS5 play again the R&C remake I am sure the difference will be there. People memory makes games looking better than they really are.

This is a 4k comparison between Ratchet and Clank PS4 and PS5, R&C artstyle is simple, the improvement by assets is subtle (shading, fur, motion blur, scene complexity) because having much more polygons doesn't work with this type of artstyle. But city looks like a city in R&C Rift Apart with much more action on screen some NPC in the city living in the city.

This is a 2004 pixar movie. Polygons is better if compare to first gen PS5/XS games*, edge AA is far better(analytical aa like the hair in FIFA 21), much more sample, no problem of texture filtering, motion blur and Depth of field are better but shading is much better in games because they use PBR.

People forget PBR arrives 2009/2010 at the same time than raytracing in offline rendering movie. Some exception some rare movies use raytracing before 2009. People idealize old offline rendering movie and games they played before.

There is even a movie with raytracing without PBR and this is very poor from a shading point of view like FF7 advent Children. FF7 Remake shading is better and by far.

Games will be far from offline rendering in indirect lighting quality, scene complexity, partially anti aliasing, texture filtering, maybe vegetation quality and maybe LOD will not be good enough not the case with Nanite for example.

Curious to see what they will do with motion blur and Depth of field.

But from a polygonal point of view, I think we will be there, same with texture quality and some part of edge anti aliasing like hair. Out of raytracing or realtime GI, this is the big news of this beginning of generation; the usage of software rasterizing with Nanite and rasterizing lines for hair in Frosbite.

I don't wait so much first party games from a visual point of view before 2022/2023 because of Sony or Microsoft cross gen policy. I think some third party taking risk like EA with Battlefied or some innovation with hair rendering will set the tone this gen.

*This generation with Nanite or other technical progress of software rasterizing we will not be far from the 1 polygon by pixel and in texture quality we will not be far from the 1 texel by pixel. I think this part will not be so far from old offline rendering. We will be not so far with hair rendering. I am curious to see what devs will do with AA.

So video game consoles are 16 years behind offline rendering ?

You actually think it will catch up to off line rendering at some point? You do know that offline rendering continues to get access to faster and faster performance

just look at what 16 years did for Incredibles

So video game consoles are 16 years behind offline rendering ?

You actually think it will catch up to off line rendering at some point? You do know that offline rendering continues to get access to faster and faster performance

just look at what 16 years did for Incredibles

All im seeing in the above posts is that we dont have the same leap in transition as going from PSX>PS2>PS3>PS4. Look at the crash bandicoot series to ratched PS2, to the same kind of thing on PS3 and 4. Do the same for GT2 to 3 etc. We dont have to look at offline rendering for that.

Back