Nvidia shows signs in [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharma

Legend
Is Nvidia about to change forever? | Jon Peddie Research
January 4, 2021
Although Nvidia continued to defy gravity and increased its gaming business while the overall PC market declined, the company knew it needed deeper support for these new markets. So, in March 2019, Nvidia announced a deal to buy Mellanox Technologies for $6.9 billion. It was the largest acquisition the company ever made and gave them the premiere data center networking company. Nvidia now had two of the four essential hardware elements of HPC, data center, AI, and VM. It still didn’t have a storage or a CPU offering—things needed to be a full-fledged data center company.

A year and a half later, in September 2020, the company announced it would buy Arm Holdings from SoftBank Group for $40 billion. Arm had won sockets in supercomputers, servers, and other data center devices. Nvidia now had three of the four essential data center components.
Nvidia will remain a leader in gaming. But its future will be in computing—computing from simple little beeping IoT devices to supercomputers. The financial statement will shift as Arm sales (est ~$1 billion, maybe a little less today) start to click in. Revenue-wise, that’s not much compared to the ~$6 billion the company pulls in from gaming. But Nvidia didn’t buy Arm for revenue. It bought it for sockets, customers, and associative opportunities.

As Intel enters Nvidia’s cash cow GPU market, Nvidia enters Intel’s cash-cow CPU market. And Arm outsells Intel in unit CPUs by 20 to one or more. Intel can leverage its CPU sockets and offer a GPU. Now Nvidia can do the same thing. And Arm demonstrated how effective that can be with their puny Mali GPU. Just imagine what Arm customers will do with an Nvidia GPU.

So, gaming got them here, and gaming will forever be a part of Nvidia, but Nvidia is no longer just a gaming company.

Is it normal to talk about buying in past tense before the deal has actually been approved? At least UK has already announced they will investigate the buyout

Is it normal to talk about buying in past tense before the deal has actually been approved? At least UK has already announced they will investigate the buyout
I believe so. It's routine for all large mergers undergo regulatory approvals (especially in host country) even though it's after the fact. In this case U.K.’s competition regulator, CMA, will look into the proposed takeover on competition grounds (ensuring the deal does not result in more expensive or low-quality products for consumers, and consider whether Arm can withdraw IP, increase prices or provide lower-quality IP licensing services to NVIDIA’s competitors before a certain time period has passed. These things are usually negotiated with regulatory bodies.

AMD's merger with Xilinx will also go through regulatory approvals, though may be for different reasons.

I believe so. It's routine for all large mergers undergo regulatory approvals (especially in host country) even though it's after the fact. In this case U.K.’s competition regulator, CMA, will look into the proposed takeover on competition grounds (ensuring the deal does not result in more expensive or low-quality products for consumers, and consider whether Arm can withdraw IP, increase prices or provide lower-quality IP licensing services to NVIDIA’s competitors before a certain time period has passed. These things are usually negotiated with regulatory bodies.
It's actually more than that, they're also worried about how it would affect UK's position as one of the technology leaders as a country, especially now that they left EU

AMD's merger with Xilinx will also go through regulatory approvals, though may be for different reasons.
Yeah, but do they talk about it in past tense yet?

It's actually more than that, they're also worried about how it would affect UK's position as one of the technology leaders as a country, especially now that they left EU

Yeah, but do they talk about it in past tense yet?

If nvidia does what it says it's probably really good for uk. Authorities might require even more investment and guarantees though. Maybe something similar what france did when nokia bought alcatel-lucent(no lay offs for long period of time, keep work/r&d in france).

If our Government was truly worried about our leadership in the tech sector they would have blocked the sale of ARM to Softbank in the first place. They didn't do that because they don't actually care and never have. All of the family silver is available for sale for the Right Price™.

It is vacuous posturing and nothing else.

NIO Partners with NVIDIA to Develop a New Generation of Automated Driving Electric Vehicles Nasdaq:NVDA (globenewswire.com)
January 9, 2020
NIO, a pioneer in China’s premium smart electric vehicle market, and NVIDIA announced today that the automaker has selected the NVIDIA DRIVE Orin™ system-on-a-chip (SoC) for its new generation of electric vehicles, which will offer advanced automated driving capabilities.
At NIO Day, the company’s annual customer event, the EV maker revealed its NVIDIA DRIVE Orin-powered supercomputer, dubbed Adam, which will first appear in the ET7 sedan that will ship in China starting in 2022.
NVIDIA Orin is the world’s highest-performance AV and robotics processor. This scalable supercomputer-on-a-chip family delivers an unprecedented 254 trillions of operations per second (TOPS) while also being able to scale down to entry-level ADAS/Level 2 use cases (10 TOPS/5 watts). NIO will feature four high-performance Orin SoCs in each of its EVs to achieve an industry-leading performance of 1,000+ TOPS — delivering the redundancy and diversity necessary for safe autonomous operation.

Last edited:
"Spot-on"!:)

I know my hardware, but I know I am not "Joe-Bob" in that regards.

Like I just pulled out 22 blades (2 x E5-2670v3, 256GB RAM I just decommed)...to a lot of people that would be an upgrade for them...to me it is old crap I will sell to our brooker.

An Intel Xeon E3-1515M costs sub $500
An NVIDIA P5000 costs ~$1600

So the price of +$74.000 in not due to the CPU/GPU combo...
Why no tensor cores though. Could benefit heavily when I want to run various AI models on Spot.
The RTX 5000 would have been a better choice.

Why no tensor cores though. Could benefit heavily when I want to run various AI models on Spot.
The RTX 5000 would have been a better choice.
Beats me...the hard does seem antiquated for "cutting egde" robotics.

Robotics that have been in development for years where you usually don't update the hardware as soon as something new comes out. And I'd count something 2 years old as being new in this regard. Likely they have plans for future versions using more AI inference focused hardware.

Robotics that have been in development for years where you usually don't update the hardware as soon as something new comes out. And I'd count something 2 years old as being new in this regard. Likely they have plans for future versions using more AI inference focused hardware.

I get it for the physical part (minus the compute units).
But not for the code part (software/compute units).

tenor.gif

That lines well up with the numbers from Proshop..but I am sure someone will find a negative spin...because of "evil NVIDIA" ;)

Evil Nvidia!
I wanted to buy few more RTX 3080 to supplement my "gaming" operation and they olny sold me three.
Very Evil!
:runaway:

NVIDIA Closes Out Q4 & FY2021 With Another Round of Record Earnings

The big, earnings-related question on everyone’s mind is how much Ethereum mining contributed to NVIDIA’s bottom-line for Q4; and the answer to that remains nebulous. NVIDIA believes that a significant number of video cards were purchased by industrial miners, but because the bulk of their sales are to AIB partners, they can’t accurately track or quantify what those cards are being used for. To that end, NVIDIA’s very uncertain ballpark estimate is that mining drove $100mil to $300mil in revenue for the quarter, a surprisingly small part of their overall gaming revenue. But, even if that range is right, it’s certainly been enough to tip the market scales towards empty shelves and unhappy gamers.

Looking towards Q1, NVIDIA expects to start CMP card shipments next month. The first month’s sales will be quite limited, with the company projecting just $15mil in revenue. But it’s a start; and the company will also be breaking out CMP sales in future quarters to help quantify the impact of mining on their bottom line.

I feel that they are at a point where they simply can't sell more anyway due to production limits.

It's also interesting that Jensen doesn't view mining as a long term business opportunity which explains nicely the moves of late with 3060 and HX cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back