Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MS FS 2020) [PC, XGP-PC]

Does FS2020 properly simulate supersonic aerodynamics or is aircraft behavior purely built from the ground up for each plane model? Someone needs to take one of the jets into a dive and see what transonic affects are in place. If MS is smart, they should move to allow FS to become a combat flight simulation too. DCS needs the competition!

How Microsoft Flight Simulator Recreated Our Entire Planet | Noclip Documentary

"We talk to Jorg Neumann (Microsoft) and Sebastian Wloch (Asobo) about the bleeding-edge technology that enabled them to recreate the digital twin of planet earth in the latest iteration of Microsoft Flight Simulator."

0:00 - Introducing Microsoft Flight Simulator
3:26 - Building the Team
7:19 - Creating The Planet
15:54 - Adding the Human World
22:26 - Simulating Weather
25:51 - Designing Planes
30:09 - Where People Fly
32:34 - Credits

I wonder how many people are still playing it as opposed to just explored it for a while (something i've been guilty of since the dos days, although I still fly ms combat flight sims)

How Microsoft Flight Simulator Recreated Our Entire Planet | Noclip Documentary

"We talk to Jorg Neumann (Microsoft) and Sebastian Wloch (Asobo) about the bleeding-edge technology that enabled them to recreate the digital twin of planet earth in the latest iteration of Microsoft Flight Simulator."

0:00 - Introducing Microsoft Flight Simulator
3:26 - Building the Team
7:19 - Creating The Planet
15:54 - Adding the Human World
22:26 - Simulating Weather
25:51 - Designing Planes
30:09 - Where People Fly
32:34 - Credits

Everytime I see something about this simulator (it's so much more than just a game), I come away amazed at the level of detail in it.

This time, rather than the world, or weather systems, or buildings, or trees, or grass, or what have you. I found it incredibly impressive that they aren't just simulating the planes, they are simulating over 1000 points on each plane to more accurately simulate the effects of air interacting with the surfaces of a plane. Air that when combined with the weather system produces dynamic situations that make the flight far more realistic than in the past.

It was nice to hear them talk about how actual amateur and professional pilot feedback in forums prompted them to implement this as some aspects of flight (stalling) was just completely unrealistic in past flight simulators, and thus to more accurate model stalls in flight, you have to at least attempt to accurately model how the atmosphere interacts with the surface of multiple points of the plane when in flight.

I wonder how many people are still playing it as opposed to just explored it for a while (something i've been guilty of since the dos days, although I still fly ms combat flight sims)

For gamers? Probably not many. For pilots? Probably all of them. For simulationists, probably depends on how much into simulation they are and whether they have a passion for flying.

When I briefly did support for Microsoft Games back in the 90's, most of the support calls for Flight Simulator was from commercial pilots and amateur pilots.

Regards,
SB

There is a lot of grumbling on /r/FlightSim about MSFS2020. Then again they grumble about of lot of things. The flight sim community is a little bit... extra... as far as I can tell. Everything has to be "study level" or it's a complete bag of shit, and so on.

I've not played since the beta, but that's because I've not had time due to work constraints. That should ease soon so I plan to dive back in over Christmas. Personally I just like tooling around in games like this, and sod what the "your stereo is only as good as your stylus" brigade have to say.

Dunno if that video touched on it, but apparently VR support is slated for Dec 23rd. I'd like to get in to VR but I'm not sure the current generation of sets are quite there yet (and Facebook can go fuck itself with a LARGE cactus).

Can someone explain ?
ejmyYnc.jpg

Back