All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2020 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metacritic though...
PC: user score 7.1 (86 critic)
Xbox: user score 4.6 (60 critic)
Playstation: user score 3.4 (53 critic)

So there is a big disconnect in experience between platforms and users. And most of the complaints deal with performance issues and bugs.

Metacritic though...
PC: user score 7.1 (86 critic)
Xbox: user score 4.6 (60 critic)
Playstation: user score 3.4 (53 critic)

So there is a big disconnect in experience between platforms and users. And most of the complaints deal with performance issues and bugs.

Metacritic you don't need to own the game to leave a review, so it's much easier to review bomb Metacritic than it is to review bomb Steam or Amazon. Especially Steam since you need to have owned and at least played the game for an hour (I think it's an hour, might be more) before you can leave a review.

But yes, it appears in general that console users have a worse opinion. And there's a variety of factors that we've talked about in various threads. PC users being more accepting of bad performance on hardware that they know isn't well suited to the game is one example.

Regards,
SB

LIke i said , it hardly matters if they get performance on the base consoles up a bit. They have been pushing patches quickly to address bugs. I am assuming the Jan and Feb patches will address performance

I hope Sony delisted the game because they realized the game shouldn’t have passed basic quality checks and in that sense it is a bit surprising that Microsoft took a different approach, but considering their personal stakes it is understandable.

I hope Sony delisted the game because they realized the game shouldn’t have passed basic quality checks and in that sense it is a bit surprising that Microsoft took a different approach, but considering their personal stakes it is understandable.

MS payed money to CDPR be allowed to market the game so..

Alternatively MS can see how many people are requesting refunds and it's quite possibly a small number compared to how many people are playing the game and how many people are buying the game. Heck, they can likely see exactly how many people are playing it on XBO-S which is the platform most impacted. If that's a small number compared to the other Xbox platforms, then there's absolutely no reason to pull it from the store.

That combined with their view of how they can handle this refund PR situation, likely means they feel their customers are better served by allowing them to buy the game if they want to play it versus telling people that want to play the game that they should go and play it on a different platform.

And if after buying and trying the game, the people don't feel it meets their performance expectations, MS are willing and able to just give them a full refund.

I mean, I get that people want to see CDPR punished, but most of the people playing the game like the game. So why punish people who want to play the game on an Xbox console?

If anything this could mean that people that want to play it on the PS5 but don't want to get a physical copy might be incentivized to get a XBS-X or PC. :p

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Steam Best Selling Games for 2020 (guru3d.com)
December 28, 2020

Platinum
  • DOOM Eternal
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • DOTA 2
  • Destiny 2
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • Among Us
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • PUBG
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
  • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
Gold
  • Borderlands 3
  • The Elder Scrolls Online
  • Phasmophobia
  • Dead by Daylight
  • ARK: Survival Evolved
  • Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Warframe
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Sid Meier's Civilization VI
Silver
  • Rust
  • Stellaris
  • Final Fantasy XIV Online
  • War Thunder
  • Raft
  • Total War: Warhammer II
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  • Hades
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Path of Exile
  • Planet Zoo
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • Team Fortress 2
Bronze
  • Don't Starve Together
  • Terraria
  • DayZ
  • Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
  • Star Wars: Squadrons
  • FIFA 21
  • Death Stranding
  • Arma 3
  • The Sims 4
  • No Man's Sky
  • GTFO
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • Smite
  • Half-Life: Alyx
  • Command & Conquer Remastered Collection
  • Apex Legends
  • Hunt: Showdown
  • American Truck Simulator
  • NBA 2K21
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Wallpaper Engine
  • Football Manager 2021
  • Tabletop Simulator
  • Temtem
  • RimWorld
  • Stardew Valley
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • Metro: Exodus
  • Human: Fall Flat
  • Risk of Rain 2
  • Pummel Party
  • Fallout 4
  • NBA 2K20
  • Remnant: From the Ashes
  • Farming Simulator 19
  • Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
  • Fallout 76
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  • Grounded
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Dying Light
  • Far Cry 5
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links
  • Satisfactory
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Lords Mobile
  • theHunter: Call of the Wild
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  • World of Warships
  • Conan Exiles
  • Hearts of Iron IV
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • The Forest
  • Dark Souls III
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition
  • Total War: Three Kingdoms

Last edited:
When will they announce actual next gen unit sales?

Seems like PS5 has much greater mindshare for whatever reason. Much more talk outside of gaming context about trying to get a PS5 for the kids who asked for it.

I’ve heard it on various podcasts, about people spending a lot of time trying to get one through retailers websites.

now watching an NBA game, the announcers were talking about how hard PS5 is to get.

It’s after Xmas now so it can’t only be about trying to get one to give as gifts.

seems a very strange breakdown of numbers, actual real data would >99.9% not show Platinum,gold, silver,bronze in those ratios if they were giving the award if they pass a certain mark
eg > 20 mill, > 10 mill, > 5 mill, > 1 mill
they must of choose top 12 = plat, next 12 gold, next 15 silver,, next 59 bronze = but then again that only adds up to 98 games, strange why not 100?

I was at my local MediaMarkt in Sweden (to buy vacuum cleaner bags) and they had two XSX and some XSS on the shelves.

Seems like PS5 has much greater mindshare for whatever reason. Much more talk outside of gaming context about trying to get a PS5 for the kids who asked for it.

I’ve heard it on various podcasts, about people spending a lot of time trying to get one through retailers websites.

now watching an NBA game, the announcers were talking about how hard PS5 is to get.

It’s after Xmas now so it can’t only be about trying to get one to give as gifts.
Thinking about it, the PS5 is also highly inflated on things like eBay compared to XSX. So demand is still much higher for PS5.

Well, unlike Xbox, PS&Sony appears on various sports even as a sponsor and it also appears more in the commercials.

There is a Digitime rumor saying Sony sold 3.4 million unit in one month. This would be the biggest first month of all time for a console. And they said Sony will be able to ship 16 to 18 million PS5 in 2021. It means the best firt year of all time. It means between 20 to 23 million of PS5 first year better than the 18.5 million of PS4. But this is Digitime not the best source.

It was easy for me to preorder a KZ SF PS4 bundle in August 2013 but this year the demand is much higher and this shitty coronavirus situation did not help, impossible to find a PS5.

PS5 could be the console that beats the PS2 record.
No I doubt it will, it prolly will take many months before demand is met. 150 million = 5 years at 30 million a year, i.e. nearly 3 million made each month, how many months did it take sony to make 3.4 million? from googling it saiz it started in June, so ~6 months == less than a million a month made.
now if it launched with 20 million and was producing 2 million more a month then it would be possible I think.

The biggest issue PS5 will face (like PS4 has) is cost reduction. PS2 was crazy cheap and dropped quickly...PS4 has done amazingly well to sell so high with such a high price - PS5 compounds that and costs are not getting cheaper.

The biggest issue PS5 will face (like PS4 has) is cost reduction. PS2 was crazy cheap and dropped quickly...PS4 has done amazingly well to sell so high with such a high price - PS5 compounds that and costs are not getting cheaper.
Sure but PS5 has being designed for cost reduction, even more than PS4. The rather small APU, 256 bit bus, simple motherboard structure (compared to XSX), liquid cooling + big case (allowing rather lightweight heatsink) and finally the soldered SSD.

Sure but PS5 has being designed for cost reduction, even more than PS4. The rather small APU, 256 bit bus, simple motherboard structure (compared to XSX), liquid cooling + big case (allowing rather lightweight heatsink) and finally the soldered SSD.
I don’t see how this is a design for cost reduction - rather it’s a reduced cost (for what it offers) design from the start. Not one heck of a lot you can do to reduce cost now other than wait for the components themselves to get cheaper due to improvements in manufacturing. It will happen, but not at the pace of yore. It’s not a given that, say, a shift to 5nm lithography in 2023 would reduce costs by a lot. NAND will slowly get cheaper over time but it may well be that Sony will simply leverage this to improve their margins a bit.
It may well be that by the time process technology has evolved to a point which used to motivate a mid-life redesign, it’s time for a new system entirely. We’ll see how Sony chooses to play this, but there is nothing I’m aware of on the horizon that would reduce either cost or power draw (allowing a new enclosure) by a major factor. What would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back