A Generational Leap in Graphics [2020] *Spawn*

In hardware, from PS4 to 5 is the smallest leap yet in the history of playstation. Thats the specs, the numbers.

Comparing cross-gen games, but from ps3 to 4, we didnt have such thing from AAA sony exclusives. One can angle it however you want i think.
Look at Killzome shadowfall, Order 1886 etc, what did we get at launch. That was a huge leap. Now the best on PS5 is Demon souls in graphics. Its nowhere the leap that SF and order 1886 graphically brought.
DF noted this too in one of their videos, that the graphical leap is smaller then ever between a transition. Its clearly due to smaller increases in hardware, which obviously happened.

GoT, days gone, they are last gen games, it would rather shock anyone if those could not be uppressed and have a higher fps.
The gap being smaller though doesnt mean they cant entertain us (they already do?) with amazing graphics. Its just that the leaps cant be as big as before due to lesser hardware 'evolutions' or whatever to call it ;)

The jump to 4k and higher framerates didnt help either. And then we talk about 2013 consoles. Many have already accustomed to '4k' with the Pro. For them, the gap is even smaller.
Anyway, digital foundry themselfs have shared the idea too that gaps arent as big as they used to be. Its quite evident in launch titles for PS4 as opposed to PS5 launch titles native for the systems.

Thing is, spiderman only does reflections, which at 60fps are rather low quality and lack reflection in reflections. CP2077 does so much more then just reflections, all the while normal rasterization is at a higher notch (on pc).

Its a fact the hardware is leap is the smallest ever, heck, for every generation, leaps have been getting smaller. From PSX to PS2, kinda obvious. From PS2 to PS3 was huge too, but less so. From PS3 to PS4, a 10 times increase in GPU power, massive in main ram and ALOT in bandwith, while targetting close to the same resolution.
PS5 got a mere 5x increase in GPU power, not as huge of a CPU upgrade (yes, its true, its not far off), and doubled the amount of ram. In pure hardware terms, its a much and much smaller leap. Throw in 4k and mid gen systems and the gap narrows even more.

About IO, when we went from disc based to HDD, that wasnt a small leap either back then. Latencies and all.

Comparing AMD to AMD, a 7870 is damn close even today to what the base PS4 does. Never before have GPUs in the PC space held up so well. Guess optimization made its way there too then.

Going by what i read above, yes, i can say GTA4 looks heaps better then spiderman, its as outrageous as some other claims in this thread.

Doubt it. But ofcourse they say they are the best :)

As DF noted in their best graphics of the year video (2020), the witcher 3 wasnt really designed around the PC and they got flak for it. Witcher 2 was according to them. CP2077 in turn is a pc designed game, 'through and through' from Johns mouth.

If someone actually manages to place last of us 2 before DS in a graphics list, ye, its really a matter of strange taste.

False again you use Tflops as a mesure like a robot reading spec and not knowing what real world performance means. RDNA 2 architecture is more performant than GCN 1.1 architecture of 2013. And it is visible partially in backward compatibility. Ghost of Tsushima runs at 1080p 30 fps on PS4 and 4k 60 fps on PS5, this is 8 times more pixel. The PS5 GPU without using the more advanced feature is 7 to 8 times more powerful than the PS4 GPU. On GPU side this is probably the same amount of improvement between the two generations and this is not bad knowing slow down of Moore Law but power consumption is bigger on PS5 and XSX compared to PS4 and Xbox One.

PS3 CPU to PS4 CPU there was no big improvement at all, some of the CELL power used for graphics go back to the GPU and Jaguar was weak. PS5 and Xbox Series a CPU is 5 to 6 times more powerful in normal workload and probably 10 times more powerful in SIMD workload. If PS5 reserve the same amount of RAM for OS than Xbox Series X RAM size is 2,7 times higher and more important memort bandwitdh is only 2,5 times but GPU memory compression is better in RDNA2, this is the same reason Nvidia GPU needs less bandwidth than GCN GPU, here again the improvement is higher than on paper and other things AMD has a patent to mitigate memory contention in an APU. But memory bandwitdh is probably the least improved aspect knowing consoles GPU don't have infinity cache.

RAM and streaming storage are linked and SSD speed jump is massive x100, it means RAM size is not a problem and this is why MS said having a fast SSD means RAM size is 2.5 times bigger like having 33.75 GB of RAM dedicated to game. Out of the CPU, this was the other weakness of the PS4/XB1, the devs were fighing the streaming limitation day one. You don't talk about all the element of the console but nothing surprising for someone who look like to have very superficial notion of how CPU, GPU, APU, other coprocessor, RAM and storage work out of being able to read a spec paper and maybe read a benchmark, not sure after this one after reading your commentary about 7870.

This would be good for PS4 is 7870 2.5 Tflops was near but this is not true because of limited VRAM size of 7870 it hurts a lot this PC GPU. You repeat lie after lie and you were prove false multiples times on this one. We all know you are a troll but I have my doubt maybe you are a bot because human being learn when they do an error or are wrong.

And for the list it is a matter of taste, it is a graphic/technology list and TLOU2 does things much better than DS, I think character model looks better, animation is far ahead too. Imo I would not have give it the first place but it is one of the best looking 2020 title and one of the best from old generation title.

Last edited:
Actually tsushima renders at 3200x1800 60fps. Still it's pushing 5.5x more pixels than the ps4. More than the usual 2.25x boost seen from ps3 to ps4 at the time.
One of the biggest gaps at launch was certainly bf4 at 900p at almost 60fps,instead of 1280x704 on ps3 at 30fps, so up to 3.1x the pixel count.

Actually tsushima renders at 3200x1800 60fps. Still it's pushing 5.5x more pixels than the ps4. More than the usual 2.25x boost seen from ps3 to ps4 at the time.
One of the biggest gaps at launch was certainly bf4 at 900p at almost 60fps,instead of 1280x704 on ps3 at 30fps, so up to 3.1x the pixel count.

I forgot The title doesn't have dynamic resolution on PS4 and PS4 Pro, true and it is very stable on PS5, on PS4 Pro and PS4, there is some minor framerate slowdown. I would be curious to know the real average framerate on PS5 with VRR.

And it is running on GCN compatibility mode.

EDIT: A better example would be Destiny 2 runs at 1080p 30 fps an dynamic 4k resolution 60 fps on PS5, this is why I said 7 to 8 times I was knowing this is not exactly 8 times but less but here it fluctuate between 5 and 8 times more pixel. But again this is GCN compatibility mode.

Last edited:
False again you use Tflops as a mesure like a robot reading spec and not knowing what real world performance means. RDNA 2 architecture is more performant than GCN 1.1 architecture of 2013. And it is visible partially in backward compatibility. Ghost of Tsushima runs at 1080p 30 fps on PS4 and 4k 60 fps on PS5, this is 8 times more pixel. The PS5 GPU without using the more advanced feature is 7 to 8 times more powerful than the PS4 GPU. On GPU side there is probably the same amount of improvement between the two generations.

True, im comparing spec for spec wise, and there we see a huge decrease in leap. Though, im not only doing that, im also looking at launch titles natively done for the systems. I have Shadowfall and order1886 to compare to demon souls and ratched (of what we have seen). I personally just dont think the leap is that great as SF and 1886 was for the PS4.

RDNA2 is more performant arch then GCN1.1, i goddamn hope so lol. But so was the 7870 GCN over the 7800GTX (G70) arch in the PS3. Arguably, i think that architectural leap, going from G70 to GCN1.1 was a larger leap in architecture. Experts will need to jump in for that one. But that said, architectural improvements happen for any generation shift.
Anyway, in that vein, the PS4 gpu was probably close to 20 times more powerfull, accounting for its advanced features as compared to the 2005 G70 architecture. Async compute was a very nice thing, some told us here.

PS3 CPU to PS4 CPU there was no big improvement at all, some of the CELL power used for graphics go back to the GPU and Jaguar was weak.

There your very wrong, research it. The X86 jaguar, though critized alot, was actually a much and much better CPU then the Cell ever was for gaming. I read about a four times improvement, aside from the increased efficiency due to the architectural jump, aside from going from 1 core to 8. The CPU upgrade from PS3 to PS4 was arguably larger then going from PS4 to 5. Though, the difference isnt as large as with the GPU.

If PS5 reserve the same amount of RAM for OS than Xbox Series X RAM size is 2,7 times higher and more important memort bandwitdh is only 2,5 times but GPU memory compression is better in RDNA2, this is the same reason Nvidia GPU needs less bandwidth than GCN GPU, here again the improvement is higher than on paper and other things AMD has a patent to mitigate memory contention in an APU.

Not totally sure what you mean there, but the ram increase going from PS3 to 4 we went from 512mb ram to 8gb of it. It was a massive increase. Memory bandwith from 20gb/s to 176gb/s. Those are huge increases, much larger then going from PS4 to PS5.
Dont forget that memory management, cause that what you talk about i think, also improved going from the 2005/6 consoles to the 2013 ones. Going from PS3 to PS4 isnt only looking at specs either.

RAM and streaming storage are linked and SSD speed jump is massive x100, it means RAM size is not a problem and this is why MS said RAM size is 2.5 times bigger. Out of the CPU, this was the other weakness of the PS4/XB1, the devs were fighing the streaming limitation day one. You don't talk about all the element of the console but nothing surprising for someone who look like to have very superficial notion of how CPU, GPU and APU work out of being able to read a spec paper and maybe read a benchmark

Yes, thats where the only large leap is this time around. The SSD. Not the ram, where we go from 8 to 16gb, which is the smallest jump in history. The SSD can and will mitigate some of that, but it isnt going to even come close to what GDDR6 ram does, in terms of speed, latency etc. Its no replacement for RAM, not even DDR4. Aside from that, the PS5 is rather BW limited, i which case, if possible, the SSD has to mitigate for that, in some cases.
IO gets faster, on the other hand, games assets grow larger and larger, too. And since devs are fighting for higher resolutions and frame rates, many CPU cycles will go towards frame rates (and i dont disagree with that).

This would be good for PS4 is 7870 2,5 Tflops was near but this is not true because of limited VRAM size of 7870 it hurts a lot this PC GPU. You repeat lie after lie and you were prove false multiples times. We all know you are a troll but I have my doubt maybe you are a bot because human learns when they do an error or are wrong.

I think you really have to calm down, theres no need to personally attack people. Its a tech discussion, people agree and disagree all the time on forums. The 7870, while more powerfull, also has to live with drivers that have not supported the GPU for likely many years, besides optimization and the age of the GPU (2012 midranger).

And fot the list it is a matter of taste, it is a graphic/technology list and TLOU2 does things much better than DS, I think character model looks better, animation is far ahead too.

Ye, NXgamers list is strange to say the least. Also, hes a one person team. DF shared their opinion with eachother within the team. John and Alex agreed with their findings. Its more intresting to me, but again, one could like Doom 3 more then eternals graphics. Its all over the place.

A better example would be Destiny 2 runs at 1080p 30 fps an dynamic 4k resolution 60 fps on PS5, this is why I said 7 to 8 times I was knowing this is not exactly 8 times but less but here it fluctuate between 5 and 8 times more pixel. But again this is GCN compatibility mode.

Again, looking at cross-gen titles is going to be abit off, i think. I'd rather look at the best graphics we got, instead of resolution upgrades.
Shadowfall, no matter what, was the bigger leap in graphics at the time then demon souls is now.

I'm not sure. It was definitely a clear step up. But not That huge leap

I remember a lot of people at the time complaining about how diminishing returns that was.

Demon's souls 60fps mode is still pushing more pixels with better graphics than a ps4 game at 30 fps compared to killzone 3 -> KZSF

Last edited:
True, im comparing spec for spec wise, and there we see a huge decrease in leap. Though, im not only doing that, im also looking at launch titles natively done for the systems. I have Shadowfall and order1886 to compare to demon souls and ratched (of what we have seen). I personally just dont think the leap is that great as SF and 1886 was for the PS4.

RDNA2 is more performant arch then GCN1.1, i goddamn hope so lol. But so was the 7870 GCN over the 7800GTX (G70) arch in the PS3. Arguably, i think that architectural leap, going from G70 to GCN1.1 was a larger leap in architecture. Experts will need to jump in for that one. But that said, architectural improvements happen for any generation shift.
Anyway, in that vein, the PS4 gpu was probably close to 20 times more powerfull, accounting for its advanced features as compared to the 2005 G70 architecture. Async compute was a very nice thing, some told us here.

There your very wrong, research it. The X86 jaguar, though critized alot, was actually a much and much better CPU then the Cell ever was for gaming. I read about a four times improvement, aside from the increased efficiency due to the architectural jump, aside from going from 1 core to 8. The CPU upgrade from PS3 to PS4 was arguably larger then going from PS4 to 5. Though, the difference isnt as large as with the GPU.

Not totally sure what you mean there, but the ram increase going from PS3 to 4 we went from 512mb ram to 8gb of it. It was a massive increase. Memory bandwith from 20gb/s to 176gb/s. Those are huge increases, much larger then going from PS4 to PS5.
Dont forget that memory management, cause that what you talk about i think, also improved going from the 2005/6 consoles to the 2013 ones. Going from PS3 to PS4 isnt only looking at specs either.

Yes, thats where the only large leap is this time around. The SSD. Not the ram, where we go from 8 to 16gb, which is the smallest jump in history. The SSD can and will mitigate some of that, but it isnt going to even come close to what GDDR6 ram does, in terms of speed, latency etc. Its no replacement for RAM, not even DDR4. Aside from that, the PS5 is rather BW limited, i which case, if possible, the SSD has to mitigate for that, in some cases.
IO gets faster, on the other hand, games assets grow larger and larger, too. And since devs are fighting for higher resolutions and frame rates, many CPU cycles will go towards frame rates (and i dont disagree with that).

I think you really have to calm down, theres no need to personally attack people. Its a tech discussion, people agree and disagree all the time on forums. The 7870, while more powerfull, also has to live with drivers that have not supported the GPU for likely many years, besides optimization and the age of the GPU (2012 midranger).

Ye, NXgamers list is strange to say the least. Also, hes a one person team. DF shared their opinion with eachother within the team. John and Alex agreed with their findings. Its more intresting to me, but again, one could like Doom 3 more then eternals graphics. Its all over the place.

Again, looking at cross-gen titles is going to be abit off, i think. I'd rather look at the best graphics we got, instead of resolution upgrades.
Shadowfall, no matter what, was the bigger leap in graphics at the time then demon souls is now.

PS3 memory bandwitch was non unified 48 GB/s not 22,4 GB/s. And some of the GPU work was done on CELL.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022421/Ubisoft-Cloth-Simulation-Performance-Postmortem

Wrong again for some task CELL was better than Jaguar CPU. ;)

And again streaming and RAM size are linked. ;)

More details about this by mircosoft engineer working on Xbox Series X, more RAM is always better but here the SSD help a lot but the increase in memory bandwidth is probably the least improved part of next generation consoles..

This is is choice and it is a matter of taste.

Again what you said for 7870 is not true. This is a binary answer yes or no, there is no maybe. and it was the same pretty fast in gen when PC games were using more than 2 GB of VRAM. And again the consoles are a bit more efficient with lighter API, or more flexible(BVH) or more features exposed than PC API for example the most important GCN instruction for Dreams is not exposed in Direct X12 from a recent discussion between sebbbi and Alex Evans. With lower level API like Direct X12 and Vulkan, the difference is not as big maybe around 10% but it is there and non negligible.

https://blog.quanticdream.com/detroit-a-vulkan-in-the-engine/

Some explanation here consoles API versus DX12/Vulkan API.

EDIT: First Bluepoint games is not GG, it would have been more useful to compare the gap if Horizon 2 was full next gen but I will wait 2022/2023 to compare the gap. This is the first time platform holder do cross gen games. And I am not very happy of it.

Last edited:

The jump from G70 to GCN1.1 is much bigger than from GCN1.1 to RDNA. Alone going from a DX9 to DX11 feature set with a unified shader architecture without pipeline bubbles increased the perfomance more than from the base PS4 to the PS5.

The jump from G70 to GCN1.1 is much bigger than from GCN1.1 to RDNA. Alone going from a DX9 to DX11 feature set with a unified shader architecture without pipeline bubbles increased the perfomance more than from the base PS4 to the PS5.

This was not exactly a jump from G70 to GCN 1.1 but CELL + G70 to GCN 1.1 ;) , CELL was doing many graphical task and task done with compute shader using the SPUs.;)

Last edited:
You really need to expand your mindset to 2077 when Cyberpunk takes place. I guess you would also find talking androids and flying vehicles peculiar.
ignoring that aspect, not important
hjeres 3 pictures ,1 is an actual photo and 2 are from cyberpunk
GTAv.jpg

here you are not confused what is CGI and whats real, are you, its very simple
next gen / this gen the first picture if it was reality you will be able to take one of the books and place it on the table, just like you can do in the 3rd picture. I assume you can do this?
No ....
oh ... well scrub that then
can I at least take a dump on the table?
No'
WTF can I do then
(kick over the chair, sweep evrything on the table to the ground)
oh OK, can I pick them up afterwards?
No

OK so very un-interactive, but at least #2 & #3 look better than #1
no
-fuck off you're no fun

I do understamnd cyberpunk its a comedygame
I actually quite like it, It makes me want to add more bugs to my game, but the whole thing has so many bugs already, it wont get noticed

Do I need more bugs? theres a few here, which I think I corrected, but its never ending
more humour definitely needed

Looking back at the PS3 generation; had PS3/Cell used the Xenos GPU with 512MB shared RDRAM and maybe 12MB EDRAM... we would have probably had ShadowFall, AC:Unity and Arkham Knight as respectable 720P cross-gen games.

Previous generations tech was developed specifically for consoles because of cost-effectiveness; it would be more expensive to take pc parts and build something with it. Now that AMD proved an excellent partner, development is almost linked to PC development as they use basically the same stuff with some embedded ram here, or an extra bus there.
Still, development is linked to generations wether people want to accept it or not. And once the games are no longer developed for PS4 and Xbox One, I believe there will be additional big leaps

That aligns with the TPU database which rates the 5700XT as 4.4x faster than the R7 265 which was equivalent to the PS4 GPU. Obviously the PS5 GPU is a bit faster than the PS4 GPU so roughly 5x more performance seems reasonable when not using RDNA2 specific features.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r7-265.c2558

ignoring that aspect, not important
hjeres 3 pictures ,1 is an actual photo and 2 are from cyberpunk
GTAv.jpg

here you are not confused what is CGI and whats real, are you, its very simple
next gen / this gen the first picture if it was reality you will be able to take one of the books and place it on the table, just like you can do in the 3rd picture. I assume you can do this?
No ....
oh ... well scrub that then
can I at least take a dump on the table?
No'
WTF can I do then
(kick over the chair, sweep evrything on the table to the ground)
oh OK, can I pick them up afterwards?
No

OK so very un-interactive, but at least #2 & #3 look better than #1
no
-fuck off you're no fun

I do understamnd cyberpunk its a comedygame
I actually quite like it, It makes me want to add more bugs to my game, but the whole thing has so many bugs already, it wont get noticed

Do I need more bugs? theres a few here, which I think I corrected, but its never ending
more humour definitely needed

Well in real-life you also cannot move around stuff too much let alone furniture because some people are bound to get pissed :p So in a way 2077 is more realistic than you think!

Btw I stealthed the whole first encounter, but when I took the big machine gun, I noticed that several walls could be destroyed. My guess is that I was supposed to go in guns blazing and then being in awe that the boss would destroy some walls and cover.

The game is too easy IMO if you use "get behind enemy, stealth kill. get behind other enemy stealth kill, and so on", but maybe it will get more difficult after a few hours. Deus ex was especially lame in that regard because you could lure out everybody and then when they walk back, stealth kill them, just like in real life

BF4 was rather stable 30fps on PS3, it was certainly not stable 60fps on PS4.

That aligns with the TPU database which rates the 5700XT as 4.4x faster than the R7 265 which was equivalent to the PS4 GPU. Obviously the PS5 GPU is a bit faster than the PS4 GPU so roughly 5x more performance seems reasonable when not using RDNA2 specific features.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r7-265.c2558

Its the least large leap in hardware yet. Specs wise, PS5 is five times more capable in the GPU department, as opposed to about ten times for the PS3 to PS4 jump. Architectural improvements happened for both generation shifts, but as someone said above, from G70 to GCN1.1 is the larger improvement, too. Theres just no way around it, even DF pointed this out.

Also, im honestly sure that the 512mb ram to 8gb ram was a larger jump then going from 8 to 16, not forgetting the huge bandwith upgrade the PS4 had over the PS3, not withstanding that the PS4 did aim for 1080/30, whereas the PS5 is aiming for a larger increase in resolution and framerates over the base system.
And theres where the 'complaints' come from, where people think there is no real 'leap'. Going from say GoT, last of us 2, HZD, to something like rift a fart, or demon souls, the leap isnt so large. But oh when shadowfall ad 1886 released, they had much more of a leap over the PS3 best lookers.

Shadowfall was more impressive for its time then DS is. Its an effect the lesser jump in hardware has on what we see.

PS3 memory bandwitch was non unified 48 GB/s not 22,4 GB/s. And some of the GPU work was done on CELL.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022421/Ubisoft-Cloth-Simulation-Performance-Postmortem

Wrong again for some task CELL was better than Jaguar CPU. ;)

And again streaming and RAM size are linked.

Well, you have just described how cumbersome the PS3 was, how inefficient it was. The RSX had access to 256mb @ 20gb/s. No idea how you count, but from CPU to GPU from its dedicated 256mb, its 20gb/s. However, the leap from that to PS4 is much bigger then the PS5's coming from PS4. Id say its BW limited, and the SSD cant mititage for all of that, if any.

More details about this by mircosoft engineer working on Xbox Series X, more RAM is always better but here the SSD help a lot but the increase in memory bandwidth is probably the least improved part of next generation consoles..

More memory is better, ofcourse as you say. Im not saying 16GB wont suffice, but its the smallest memory increase we have seen in PS history. SSD will help out, but far from everything. GDDR6 is fast, and latencies are basically nothing compared to what the SSD will achieve.
Its not the least improved part either, that'd be the GPU, which went from a 10 fold increase to just 5. Aside from a smaller 'improvement' on the architectural side. From G70 to GCN1 was a damn huge improvement. Mind you that, when the PS3 actually released, the G80 NV family made its entrance, it was histories largest jump in arch improvements. The PS3 was kinda.... it wasnt all that great on the GPU side. The X360 had a more capable one.

Again what you said for 7870 is not true. This is a binary answer yes or no, there is no maybe. and it was the same pretty fast in gen when PC games were using more than 2 GB of VRAM. And again the consoles are a bit more efficient with lighter API, or more flexible(BVH) or more features exposed than PC API for example the most important GCN instruction for Dreams is not exposed in Direct X12 from a recent discussion between sebbbi and Alex Evans. With lower level API like Direct X12 and Vulkan, the difference is not as big maybe around 10% but it is there and non negligible.

All i did was just looking at the variables. And then im suprised to see that a puny mid range amd gpu like the 7870 can come close in many tiltes to the base PS4. Obviously, 2gb does pose a problem in select titles, but hey, we talk about a GPU almost two years older then the base PS4, a mid range GPU at that. This just proves that API and optimization has improved alot on the PC side of things as opposed to the generations prior.

EDIT: First Bluepoint games is not GG, it would have been more useful to compare the gap if Horizon 2 was full next gen but I will wait 2022/2023 to compare the gap. This is the first time platform holder do cross gen games. And I am not very happy of it.

Well, ofcourse you can wait, but thats not the point as of writing today. The PS4 saw shadowfall, and shortly after 1886. I compare those two native PS4 titles to DS and rift apart. And from what i have seen, its not as large of a leap as those PS4 titles where. Even if PS4 already started suffering from 'dimishing returns'. Going from PSX to PS2 was from a 'wtf im looking at pixel shit' to 'GT3 and MGS2 gobsmacking' graphics, to PS3 which we went from sub 480p to close to 1080p and 60fps.
The PS4 still was a rather large leap, but less so then the ones prior. The PS5 is even less of a jump.

And as you say, cross-gen doesnt do any good. But, DS and rift apart are basically 'launch or near launch games' natively done for the PS5, just as SF and 1886 where.
Theres no way around it, the leap in hardware specs is not even half of what we had last time, and it clearly shows in launch games natively done for the systems.
Comparing cross-gen games isnt all that intresting, as im sure that has matured alot since then. Look at the games intending to max the graphics fidelity at launch instead. And as pjbliverpool posted above, GoT basically shows about a five times increase in power, right where the specs say.

BF4 was rather stable 30fps on PS3, it was certainly not stable 60fps on PS4.

Cross-gen/platform game again. BF4 wasnt as 'wowing' as SF. And for good reason. Anyway, lets compare multiplayer then, as i played/tested on both, from memory. BF4 supported 64 player matches at 60fps 1080p high settings. How was that going for PS3? 24 player slot servers, 30fps and low settings. It wasnt even stable, it was a hot mess. PS4 was doing quite ok, even at silk road 64 matches.
Metro lagged on both during 64 player matches TDM.

you're using multiplicatives that's your error, going from 10 to 20TF is a bigger jump than from 2 to 8 even if it's X2 vs X4. In one case you have 10 more TF, in the other you have 6 more. Idem for ram.

I'm confident the leap will be huge, might be wrond of course, but i'm confident.

CB2077 is bad on the base consoles certainly, but in his reasoning for not including it he says he's not talking about those versions. And there's nothing wrong with performance on any of the other 5 consoles or PC (provided you have sufficient hardware on the PC). A few non game breaking gameplay or technical bugs (which are common in RPG's particularly these days and are already being rapidly dealt with through patches) shouldn't exclude a game from being considered in a list of best graphics, especially when millions are enjoying the game and the PC version at least has a strong 86 rating on Metacritic. Why not just include the PC version of the game in the list if he has issues with the consoles? He didn't have a problem including FS2020 for example which also has very high system requirements to look it's best.
Few bugs ? According to many also pc version looks like beta or early access game. In the end it's just personal preference list and nxgamer which is game developer with 25 years of experience doesn't think Cyberpunk deserve to be in top7 best looking and technically impressive games of 2020. I agree with him you may not.

Its the least large leap in hardware yet. Specs wise, PS5 is five times more capable in the GPU department, as opposed to about ten times for the PS3 to PS4 jump. Architectural improvements happened for both generation shifts, but as someone said above, from G70 to GCN1.1 is the larger improvement, too. Theres just no way around it, even DF pointed this out.

Also, im honestly sure that the 512mb ram to 8gb ram was a larger jump then going from 8 to 16, not forgetting the huge bandwith upgrade the PS4 had over the PS3, not withstanding that the PS4 did aim for 1080/30, whereas the PS5 is aiming for a larger increase in resolution and framerates over the base system.
And theres where the 'complaints' come from, where people think there is no real 'leap'. Going from say GoT, last of us 2, HZD, to something like rift a fart, or demon souls, the leap isnt so large. But oh when shadowfall ad 1886 released, they had much more of a leap over the PS3 best lookers.

Shadowfall was more impressive for its time then DS is. Its an effect the lesser jump in hardware has on what we see.

Well, you have just described how cumbersome the PS3 was, how inefficient it was. The RSX had access to 256mb @ 20gb/s. No idea how you count, but from CPU to GPU from its dedicated 256mb, its 20gb/s. However, the leap from that to PS4 is much bigger then the PS5's coming from PS4. Id say its BW limited, and the SSD cant mititage for all of that, if any.

More memory is better, ofcourse as you say. Im not saying 16GB wont suffice, but its the smallest memory increase we have seen in PS history. SSD will help out, but far from everything. GDDR6 is fast, and latencies are basically nothing compared to what the SSD will achieve.
Its not the least improved part either, that'd be the GPU, which went from a 10 fold increase to just 5. Aside from a smaller 'improvement' on the architectural side. From G70 to GCN1 was a damn huge improvement. Mind you that, when the PS3 actually released, the G80 NV family made its entrance, it was histories largest jump in arch improvements. The PS3 was kinda.... it wasnt all that great on the GPU side. The X360 had a more capable one.

All i did was just looking at the variables. And then im suprised to see that a puny mid range amd gpu like the 7870 can come close in many tiltes to the base PS4. Obviously, 2gb does pose a problem in select titles, but hey, we talk about a GPU almost two years older then the base PS4, a mid range GPU at that. This just proves that API and optimization has improved alot on the PC side of things as opposed to the generations prior.

Well, ofcourse you can wait, but thats not the point as of writing today. The PS4 saw shadowfall, and shortly after 1886. I compare those two native PS4 titles to DS and rift apart. And from what i have seen, its not as large of a leap as those PS4 titles where. Even if PS4 already started suffering from 'dimishing returns'. Going from PSX to PS2 was from a 'wtf im looking at pixel shit' to 'GT3 and MGS2 gobsmacking' graphics, to PS3 which we went from sub 480p to close to 1080p and 60fps.
The PS4 still was a rather large leap, but less so then the ones prior. The PS5 is even less of a jump.

And as you say, cross-gen doesnt do any good. But, DS and rift apart are basically 'launch or near launch games' natively done for the PS5, just as SF and 1886 where.
Theres no way around it, the leap in hardware specs is not even half of what we had last time, and it clearly shows in launch games natively done for the systems.
Comparing cross-gen games isnt all that intresting, as im sure that has matured alot since then. Look at the games intending to max the graphics fidelity at launch instead. And as pjbliverpool posted above, GoT basically shows about a five times increase in power, right where the specs say.

Cross-gen/platform game again. BF4 wasnt as 'wowing' as SF. And for good reason. Anyway, lets compare multiplayer then, as i played/tested on both, from memory. BF4 supported 64 player matches at 60fps 1080p high settings. How was that going for PS3? 24 player slot servers, 30fps and low settings. It wasnt even stable, it was a hot mess. PS4 was doing quite ok, even at silk road 64 matches.
Metro lagged on both during 64 player matches TDM.

It seems you don't understand what is streaming. Latency doesn't need to be as good as RAM the streaming system is not used for assets for the next frame even in R&C Rift Apart portal is to fill RAM with assets used in 1 to 2 seconds. Here it will not be a bottleneck because you can load the best assets quality in RAM without problem. RAM or VRAM inside any consoles PC or contains much more assets than the GPU will render for the next few frames. Depending of the framerate RAM contains at minimum 60 to 120 frames in a non realistic scenery where a team will have unique assets for the next two seconds and much more because of the game size limit and cost limit for assets creation.

Destiny 2 with it dynamic resolutions show more and same than GOT the framerate is 60 fps locked on PS5. It does not mean GOT push fully what the PS5 is capable off into this backward compatiblity mode. GOT is blocked to 1800p because of the PS4 Pro version.

Destiny 2 shows a gap between 5 and 8 times more pixel with a higher setting than PS4 the same than PS4 Pro,

EDIT: The best is to fined game with dynamic resolution and unlocked framerate on PS4, it would be the best thing to compare the two consoles in GCN mode.

EDIT: the 7870 is 38% more powerful in theory than the PS4 GPU

Last edited:
to be a bit more fair, the ps4 versions are capped, maybe they could go higher than 30fps in some parts. But still, great leap.

It would be like saying the last of us remastered on PS4 running at 1080p 60fps was the absolute maximum we could expect from the PS4 at the time.

to be a bit more fair, the ps4 versions are capped, maybe they could go higher than 30fps in some parts. But still, great leap.

It would be like saying the last of us remastered on PS4 running at 1080p 60fps was the absolute maximum we could expect from the PS4 at the time.

To be fair the PS5 and XSX version are capped at 60 fps.;) This is the same on PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Same GOT is locked 60 fps and without the little slowdown of PS4 and PS4 Pro version.

Back