Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Wonder if today's pre-TGA panel with Lisa Su, Phil Spencer and that EA lady discloses any lingering technical specifications or if it's just more like a PR-style interview.

Quick question about Xbox in general, why does it always look darker in Playstation/PC/Xbox comparisons? It's either dark or with slight black crush.

I'm thinking about getting an Xbox series X, but that would really bug me.

It's not a night and day difference, but I notice it in many videos.

Am I right, is there any true to that, any technical explanations?

Thanks

It depends on the video content creators. I dont see this happening on the DigitalFoundry videos. So it all seems to be a matter of how careful or careless the video producers are.

What is the probabilty for MS to add support of VR? I believe that Xbox can be native compatible with all the headsets due to be similar to PC and GDK or something,

What is the probabilty for MS to add support of VR? I believe that Xbox can be native compatible with all the headsets due to be similar to PC and GDK or something,

For Cyberpunk or Series systems in general? The former's on CDProjekt; the latter has a very high possibility because I can't see them wanting to lag behind on VR for the next 2-3 years even.

I think they'll do something with Samsung and probably allow their pre-existing VR headsets on Series, maybe design one together more tuned for the Series systems.

For Cyberpunk or Series systems in general? The former's on CDProjekt; the latter has a very high possibility because I can't see them wanting to lag behind on VR for the next 2-3 years even.

I think they'll do something with Samsung and probably allow their pre-existing VR headsets on Series, maybe design one together more tuned for the Series systems.
I mean in general, because I don't think they need specific PSVR solution for Xbox Series platform - the compatibility with the existing headsets can be probably achieved easily.

I mean in general, because I don't think they need specific PSVR solution for Xbox Series platform - the compatibility with the existing headsets can be probably achieved easily.
The downside is that game developers have to support all VR APIs and configurations of hardware, which is a bigger ask.

Hm, I believe eventually there will be some common API for VR akin DirectX for example.

There already is, windows mixed reality

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mixed-reality/windows-mixed-reality

They already have a compatibility layer to allow all the games made for steamVR to work on WMR,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...uide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

the best part is that it's natively supported in all windows 10 pcs, no drivers or additional software to install

There already is, windows mixed reality

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mixed-reality/windows-mixed-reality

They already have a compatibility layer to allow all the games made for steamVR to work on WMR,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...uide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

the best part is that it's natively supported in all windows 10 pcs, no drivers or additional software to install
Oh, didn't know.
So MC probably can add VR support but - again - it won't be specific solution like PSVR - but more general one.

Oh, didn't know.
So MC probably can add VR support but - again - it won't be specific solution like PSVR - but more general one.

"More general" doesn't inherently mean worst if that's something on your mind; I kind of blame all the speculation that comes with the usual period before next-gen for this, you have a lot of people who see words like "exotic" and "custom" and attach meanings to them to implicate it as inherently better than a more generalized approach.

The truth is neither custom or "standard" implementations are necessarily better or worst than the other, it just comes down to what type of implementation is best for a given application. If it happens to be a custom one, then that's what it is. If it happens to be a more standardized one, then that's what it is. Lots of custom implementations are derived from more general standardized ones anyway.

Once various tech gets "good enough" to where the differences between low-end and high-end are so negligible to the vast majority (to the point they need experts to explicitly point out the most minor of differences), that's where "standard" or "custom" start or more or less blend into one another, the main differences potentially coming down to preference. I don't know if VR is quite at that point yet (we don't even have full-body simulation/haptic feedback for VR), but a lot of aspects to it seem they might be, at least IMO.

"More general" doesn't inherently mean worst if that's something on your mind; I kind of blame all the speculation that comes with the usual period before next-gen for this, you have a lot of people who see words like "exotic" and "custom" and attach meanings to them to implicate it as inherently better than a more generalized approach.
The special solution allows better optimizations using some undocumented features, some tricks that only work for a single thing. While generic solutions do not support that.

The special solution allows better optimizations using some undocumented features, some tricks that only work for a single thing. While generic solutions do not support that.

This isn't a universal constant, though. Some special solutions allow better optimizations, some may end up allowing worst optimization. There's nothing inherently advantageous to a special/custom solution unless it's also a good solution, the two are otherwise not one and the same.

We can look back throughout console history to see that "custom" approaches are not always the best, if you can define what the standard approach for any given time is. The PS1's fixed-point math coprocessor was "custom" but wasn't a best-case solution for rendering polygons (that's where all the warping comes from). The Saturn's use of quads was "custom" for a game console of that era but the industry was quickly getting used to triangles which made its quad approach less intuitive. The Jaguar had a "custom" setup insofar as not designating a main CPU the way you'd expect in most consoles, but that just made it incredibly hard to program for so most devs settled with the Motorola 68K (which was only intended as a "manager" chip, not the main CPU).

There's plenty of examples of this, past and even present.

One of our OneS pads broke so we've ended up with a Series X controller. I'm pleasantly surprised with how much nicer it feels. Aside from obviously better dpad, the minor changes to texture and size seem to make a huge difference.

(And I like the OneS pads)
Yeah, it is almost ideal controller. It really feels like the right evolution of Xbox 360 controller (rather than Xbox One)

What are the triggers like? I only really play on PlayStation, but one of my friends has been XBox forever, and the X360 still has my favourite triggers in terms of resistance (the XB1 controller being a step back IMO.)

The DualSense seems poised to take that crown, but I've barely played any PS5 games with it yet haha

What are the triggers like? I only really play on PlayStation, but one of my friends has been XBox forever, and the X360 still has my favourite triggers in terms of resistance (the XB1 controller being a step back IMO.)

The DualSense seems poised to take that crown, but I've barely played any PS5 games with it yet haha

Couldn't comment on how they compare to the Duel Sense (do we have anyone lucky enough to have both new systems?)

The resistance is a little higher than the One's. It also feel continuous. Our remaining One pad has a tiny bit of stick when you first press the triggers.

They've shaved off the tip of the trigger off and added a very fine texture. It feel better than both their previous trigger imo.

I'd also swear that the bumpers are a different shape but side by side they look the same as the One's. Guess the texture and them being ever so slightly closer together makes the difference.

PXL_20201229_081322326.PORTRAIT_copy_1512x2016.jpg

Couldn't comment on how they compare to the Duel Sense (do we have anyone lucky enough to have both new systems?)

The resistance is a little higher than the One's. It also feel continuous. Our remaining One pad has a tiny bit of stick when you first press the triggers.

They've shaved off the tip of the trigger off and added a very fine texture. It feel better than both their previous trigger imo.

I'd also swear that the bumpers are a different shape but side by side they look the same as the One's. Guess the texture and them being ever so slightly closer together makes the difference.

View attachment 5203

Series X controller on triggers and bumpers (let alone all around) looks like a big step up. Matte texture and finish is always preferable to glossy, means less slippery so better grip which is mandatory for competitive FPS gaming on a controller.

The most impressive part of Series X controller IMHO is actually the d-pad; I still need to get my hands on one but the d-pad looks perfect for fighting games. They probably didn't even intend it but it seems like a perfect modern-day version of the Saturn d-pad, at least from the looks of it. Has anyone tried Killer Instinct in BC with the new controller? Does the new d-pad live up to the fantasy?

Back