Internet Datacaps [2020] *spawn*

Moik

Newcomer
Zed: "If I had a download cap (which I dont have now, but did at my last place) I would be too scared to play this as I'ld prolly blow my limit within a day"

Which reminds me of the bandwidth cap Comcast is about to spring on their customers in the US..

• Comcast is adding a 1.2TB data cap for home users beginning on January 1. The company notes that 95% of subscribers will not be impacted by the change.
  • Users who go over the cap will be charged $10 for every 50GB of data consumed over the initial limit. Additional monthly charges will never exceed $100.
  • Comcast back in March temporarily suspended its data cap threshold due to the coronavirus pandemic."
I like how they pull that "95% of users won't be affected" crap.
They want people to think only crazy rogue users are juicing the system with their exotic bandwidth craziness.

I have a feeling Comcast was banking on a different election outcome, and hopeful that ISP data cap policies will likely change under the new administration.

Zed: "If I had a download cap (which I dont have now, but did at my last place) I would be too scared to play this as I'ld prolly blow my limit within a day"

Which reminds me of the bandwidth cap Comcast is about to spring on their customers in the US..

• Comcast is adding a 1.2TB data cap for home users beginning on January 1. The company notes that 95% of subscribers will not be impacted by the change.
  • Users who go over the cap will be charged $10 for every 50GB of data consumed over the initial limit. Additional monthly charges will never exceed $100.
  • Comcast back in March temporarily suspended its data cap threshold due to the coronavirus pandemic."
I like how they pull that "95% of users won't be affected" crap.
They want people to think only crazy rogue users are juicing the system with their exotic bandwidth craziness.

The cap has already existed for years in most states.

Here in WA, we've have a 1 TB data cap for Comcast for about 5 or 6 years now. It was bumped up to 1.2 TB this year due to the pandemic.

I have a feeling Comcast was banking on a different election outcome, and hopeful that ISP data cap policies will likely change under the new administration.

Unlikely since they started rolling out the cap early in the Obama administration in some test states. And they had soft caps all the way back to the Bush administration.

Regards,
SB

Unlikely since they started rolling out the cap early in the Obama administration in some test states. And they had soft caps all the way back to the Bush administration.
Regards,
SB
I think Net Neutrality will be reinstated and any hard caps will disappear.

Comcast is using the caps to promote usage of services like Tubi, Netflix, etc... by using Comcast apps as the launching point as opposed to directly using those services. The benefit of going through Comcast is any data usage is not counted towards your data cap.

British Telecom had a hilarious capped broadband package, Turns out if you downloaded at full speed you could hit your monthly allowance in about 1.5 hours

Back