A Generational Leap in Graphics [2020] *Spawn*

Great work Alex! You’re making my January wait even longer (3090 FE arrival date).:LOL:

One thing is for sure, RT gives geometry more depth or the illusion that more triangles are being rendered. But in reality geometry/triangle count maybe no greater than prior open world games. Example, Dex without RT looks no better than GTA V’s protagonist characters… but with RT on, he looks more of a generational leap over those characters. And your Halo Infinite assessment dealing with proper lighting was dead on. Lighting and shadowing (including a good PBR system) makes a world of difference on how characters and objects are visually perceived. Great work once again.

aQxrpvQ.jpg

Great work Alex! You’re making my January wait even longer (3090 FE arrival date).:LOL:

One thing is for sure, RT gives geometry more depth or the illusion that more triangles are being rendered. But in reality geometry/triangle count maybe no greater than prior open world games. Example, Dex without RT looks no better than GTA V’s protagonist characters… but with RT on, he looks more of a generational leap over those characters. And your Halo Infinite assessment dealing with proper lighting was dead on. Lighting and shadowing (including a good PBR system) makes a world of difference on how characters and objects are visually perceived. Great work once again.

aQxrpvQ.jpg

This is a generational leap. After Dex looking better than GTA 5 character model, out of maybe the hair and beard this is very good. But without raytracing it is like he is glowing and this is funny for a black guy.

This is a generational leap. After Dex looking better than GTA 5 character model, out of maybe the hair and beard this is very good. But without raytracing it is like he is glowing and this is funny for a black guy.
I’ve just finished watching df rt video, models of some npc’s are shockingly bad and this Dex model with rt is good but skin quite plastic. Generaly with rt looks better as all games but nothing jaw dropping, tough number of details in city is for sure impressive for an open world game.

@snc I don't agree. RT is transformative. It's amazing playing games where you don't see all of the really obvious drawbacks that cascaded shadow maps and AO come with. You get shadows and lighting that actually look natural for once. I'm really hoping that Naught Dog does a Last of Us 2 for PS5 with ray tracing, even if it's 1080p. They can do shadows and indirect lighting, and I think people will be shocked at how good it'll look.

That’s a fantastic video by Alex. As been said, CP with and without RT are different games.

Atmosphere is a large part of an open world games immersion and with RT you get that. Subtle things like characters feeling connected to the pavement and not floating on it might seem inconsequential on its own but when you’re talking about 30+ npc’s in view walking around floating above the pavement it starts to break immersion quickly.

I don't know how far I'm into Cyberpunk but, aside from random NPCs, Dexter is one of the least impressive main character models in the whole game. There are some absolutely stellar character models to encounter. :yes:

@snc I don't agree. RT is transformative. It's amazing playing games where you don't see all of the really obvious drawbacks that cascaded shadow maps and AO come with. You get shadows and lighting that actually look natural for once. I'm really hoping that Naught Dog does a Last of Us 2 for PS5 with ray tracing, even if it's 1080p. They can do shadows and indirect lighting, and I think people will be shocked at how good it'll look.
Rt in current form improve visuals on selective scenes that you have to look for but in this scenes its deffinitly difference. On avarage is subtle difference

Rt in current form improve visuals on selective scenes that you have to look for but in this scenes its deffinitly difference. On avarage is subtle difference
I didn't find a radical change in many scenes, either, so I wonder... for those who played Metro or other games with RTGI, in which one have you seen a night/day difference overall?

Reactions: snc
Everything simply looks more realistic, low in artifacts and homogeneous. To achieve this without RT, even to a certain extent, seems impossible to me at the moment. Within a short time periord of a year, there is a big RT leap after Control with Cyberpunk 2077, where the former only had relatively small areas. I would not have expected such a big jump after such a short time.

Because of the interaction of its many very good raytracing effects Cyberpunk 2077 is the biggest graphics leap since Crysis 1 and 2013/2014 with PBR, TAA, GPU particles and volumetric effects.

What it needs next, for example, are characters where the hair is calculated individually. Hair looks bad 99.9% of the time in video games.

It's good that DF with its great influence is paying a lot of attention to RT.

Last edited:
Cyberpunk 2077 is the biggest graphics leap since Crysis 1 and 2013/2014 with PBR, TAA, GPU particles and volumetric effects.
strongly disagree, the only leap is that it's most detailed city in open world game

I couldn't name another game right now that represents such progress. Which ones represent even greater progress for graphical effects?

Last edited:
I couldn't name another game right now that represents such progress. Which ones represent even greater progress for graphical effects?
rdr2 is generally better looking game (also lou2 but it's linear with baked ligthing so no proper comparison), so hard to say it's biggest leap since crysis as it's not even best looking game for me

Have you actually played it? Maxed out? With full RT?
I played only poor looking ps5 version and waiting for being patched, ultra settings watched only high quality videos on my 4k oled tv, I agree it's not perfect for sure but if this would be next generation leap I would see it also this way

city design looks awesome, that's what stands out the most for me, with all the verticality. Characters have great faces, when lit right, the rest of the body not so much, we are still missing good hair and clothing for it to call a generationnal leap.
the city reminded me of that cityscape in killzone shadowfall, expet now i can free roam in it with a lot more details

I played only poor looking ps5 version and waiting for being patched, ultra settings watched only high quality videos on my 4k oled tv, I agree it's not perfect for sure but if this would be next generation leap I would see it also this way

It seems like you ignored all the commentary on DF's video and ignored all the places where it was stark congrats...in my experience DXR in CyperPunk goes from subtle (but better!) to "holy crap this looks good!".

It seems like you ignored all the commentary on DF's video and ignored all the places where it was stark congrats...in my experience DXR in CyperPunk goes from subtle (but better!) to "holy crap this looks good!".
why, because I have different opinion than you ?

Back