Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't Cyberpunk do the same thing in one of the early intro scenes? DF covered it in one of their video's assuming it was pre-rendered at first then realising it was real time. The main charracter instantly transitions between, multiple different scenes in the game. Granted there isn't as much variety as the R&C environments show from what I remember (I can't find the video now), but they are both faster and more numerous. I can only assume that all the necessary data was already stored in VRAM.
Yep, but in Cyberpunk it's a non-interactive segment. People are impressed that you can control the character during the Ratchet and Clank loading tunnels, even though they offer about as much interactivity as Sewer Shark.

DF article in Cyberpunk 2077 for Last Gen @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-last-gen-performance-and-can-it-be-improved

Cyberpunk 2077: how bad is last-gen performance - and what will it take to fix it?
The long road ahead.

It's an extraordinary state of affairs. CD Projekt Red has publicly admitted that the last-gen console versions of Cyberpunk 2077 have profound issues, that the scale of the technical issues facing the old machines was under-estimated, and that the game was released anyway. In both a public statement and an emergency investor call, the firm talks about improving the last-gen experience and sorting out crashes, glitches and bugs. A hotfix patch is already out, with another due within seven days, while more substantial patches are due in January and February.

"After three delays, we as the management board were too focused on releasing the game," said CDPR joint-CEO Adam Kiciński. "We underestimated the scale and complexity of the issues, we ignored the signals about the need for additional time to refine the game on the base last-gen consoles. It was the wrong approach and against our business philosophy. On top of that, during the campaign, we showed the game mostly on PCs."

CDPR says its hope is that its efforts will "let us rebuild the trust we have lost", but the process by which we ended up in this situation is astonishing, representing a failure in the entire process of validating that a console game is ready for launch. Typically, a game is finished and it is submitted to the third party departments of the platform holders, who test it against a range of stringent criteria, sending the game back if it's not up to scratch.

Looks like DF wanted to avoid seeming like they're picking on devs, so avoided looking at Gears resolution. Maybe the frame-rate fix was the ol' drop resolution until the frame-rate stabilizes* fix. *Which is okay imho. It's only technical curiosity to me.

I'm glad they do this sort of thing at DF. The 2077 devs can go into detail on their technical fixes and technology, and some of people would get as much entertainment out of that as DLC for the game itself.

Very impressive quality jump in face skin rendering and ofcourse hair (but during normal gemeplay difference is not very visible)

oh finally, this is the one i've been waiting for during all this last gen coverage of cyberpunk. (Great looking game btw, but clearly only made for pc)

edit: Disappointed this isnt a comparison, expected different than just showing off what anybody can already see.

Last edited:
I'm not a 100% sure Series S version is native 4K... could be dynamic (if not a lower or dynamic resolution, then a lower LOD is being used). Look at the crowd / spectators quality when compared to each other at the queued up selection below. PS5/XBSX are virtually the same in quality, but S has less detail being rendered in the spectators section.

Edit: Queued up section fixed.

Last edited:
This actually reminds me of my old Pentium 4/ 6800 rig... Back when 6800 meant Nvidia LOL.
The 6-series GPUs had a mermaid demo with hair rendering. When people were impressed with the tomb raider reboot, I thought of the Nvidia demo.. Guess we are finally there, after like 16 years

edit: this is the one!

upon further inspection, Fifa beats this on every level, in my memory this demo was more impressive but it's great that we are here now!

This actually reminds me of my old Pentium 4/ 6800 rig... Back when 6800 meant Nvidia LOL.
The 6-series GPUs had a mermaid demo with hair rendering. When people were impressed with the tomb raider reboot, I thought of the Nvidia demo.. Guess we are finally there, after like 16 years

edit: this is the one!

upon further inspection, Fifa beats this on every level, in my memory this demo was more impressive but it's great that we are here now!

Hey that's actually really good for it's time but yeah, can't compete with FIFA. The hair in FIFA has such a good weight to it, you can really feel how much style gel is being used just with how it animates :p

oh finally, this is the one i've been waiting for during all this last gen coverage of cyberpunk. (Great looking game btw, but clearly only made for pc)

edit: Disappointed this isnt a comparison, expected different than just showing off what anybody can already see.

Was surprised with lack of comparisons too, but that just probably means differences (if any) were so insignificant it wasn't worth going too much into with comparisons. I do notice colors tend to be a very wee tad more saturated in the PS5 version but maybe that is just due to DF's capture setup and/or equipment.

I kinda like it either way honestly insofar as slightly more/slightly less color saturation.

I'm not a 100% sure Series S version is native 4K... could be dynamic (if not a lower or dynamic resolution, then a lower LOD is being used). Look at the crowd / spectators quality when compared to each other at the queued up selection below. PS5/XBSX are virtually the same in quality, but S has less detail being rendered in the spectators section.

Edit: Queued up section fixed.
according to this comparison its 1080p on xss
The differences this time around are really minimal on PS5 and X Series. They both run at the same resolution (2160p) at 60fps. I've only found hugely slight differences in grass draw distance and antialiasing in favor of PS5, but for all practical purposes there are no differences. In the case of Series S, the game runs at a maximum resolution of 1080p. It also appears to have less hair density in NextGen physiques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back