Nvidia giving free GPU samples to reviewers that follow procedure

See it from the other side, its only good if RT gets pushed (and other new tech), this means amd, intel etc are going all in to be competitive, thus reducing the time where ray tracing becomes more performant and finally fully ray traced games like quake 2.
Atleast amd does offer RT right now, and its viable in modern games. Not many thought AMD would provide RT this early, its probably due to NV's push as early as 2018.
Its not like you buy a 6800XT and you have no hw ray tracing capable gpu.... People buying RDNA2 gpus pay for the hardware ray tracing thats in them aswell. ATM, theres no new gpus from either NV or AMD thats without ray tracing hardware. All of their current Ampere and Navi2 gpus do have it, and anyone buying either of these products also buys into tay tracing hardware.
I strongly doubt there will be any gpu from either without ray tracing.

Same for consoles, theres no console out there (next gen) that doesnt have it. If you get XSS all the way to PS5 and XSX you buy into ray tracing. No matter what a random youtuber or a big tech site like HUB thinks, everyones getting ray tracing, willingfully or not.

But hey, if you dont like it, and prefer the extra performance, disable it (even possible on consoles and their exclusives). Or enable DLSS to mitigate, if that doesnt suffice, disable RT.

Everyone is onboard for both super resolution and ray tracing. It's only going to get better. Some of us like to be earliest(turing), early(ampere, rdna2,consoles) or late adopters(sometime in future). To each his own. The path industry is going is pretty clear. Then there is also the unreal5 and dreams like approaches which is nice to see. I would say same about streaming too, it's future(DirectStorage, sony, ue5)

There is benefit on being early adopter both in hw and game engines. First try rarely is optimal. There also is downside as the market share starts from zero.

RT is a good feature, but still not good enough to force everyone to use it.

Maybe the problem is that you’re concerned about something that’s not happening. Nobody is being forced to use RT.

If you want to keep gaming at 4K, I'd temper those expectations regarding RT.

For sure, my expectations are well tempered. Fortunately most of the decent RT enabled games (Control, Metro, BFV) are FPS which will be played on my desktop at 1440p. Should be more than fine.

CP2077 performs just fine also. It's not on/off setting. Just use digital foundry optimized settings to get perf back while minimizing impact to visual quality. DLSS is good in this game at least to my eyes. I would use dlss even if I wasn't playing with rt on.

Maybe the problem is that you’re concerned about something that’s not happening. Nobody is being forced to use RT.
But on forums everyone is being pressured or pretty much forced to like it. The fact that HUB is being judged as biased because they didn't focus so much on it is more than enough proof of this.

But on forums everyone is being pressured or pretty much forced to like it. The fact that HUB is being judged as biased because they didn't focus so much on it is more than enough proof of this.

I don't see judging HUB on this thread. Perhaps you are talking about some other forum?

I think he might be referring to posts like this...
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2182215/

Isn't the post you link saying he doesn't approve action of nvidia? It's fine to criticize HUB. They have very specific idea on what constitutes playable/optimal and not everyone agrees on their line of reviewing.

edit. I guess it's opposite that bothers people. Only HUB is correct and anyone else is wrong. i.e ray tracing cannot be used today.

ignore is bliss.

Last edited:

Like it or don't. It's entirely a personal preference. You're on a forum here, and you aren't being forced to do shit.

Most of us don't give a damn what some other random person prefers, but if you're going to try and create a false narrative that "everyone is being pressured or pretty much forced to like it" like you just did, please don't be the fucking hypocrite that earlier today said ... and I quote ... "If you buy an RTX 3080 which is a 4K card* to play at 1080p with RT, well, to me it simply is not a smart decision." Oh and that's along with other stuff like implying that @trinibwoy after 16 years on the forum didn't already comprehend that "If you want to keep gaming at 4K, I'd temper those expectations regarding RT" despite them never having said anything to indicate 4K performance wouldn't be affected by enabling RT.

*citation needed

What people prefer to experience with their money is up to them: saying they aren't smart for pursuing their own idea of visual preference (which you did) while claiming to be the victim of a witch-hunt (in which you are currently amongst the influencer led majority) is a load of old bollocks.

Isn't the post you link saying he doesn't approve action of nvidia? It's fine to criticize HUB. They have very specific idea on what constitutes playable/optimal and not everyone agrees on their line of reviewing.

In the culture wars of 2020 GPUs, saying you don't approve of something is tacit proof you approve of it. :???:

What bothered before knowing bliss was that so many things get lumped together

Forcing or nudging reviewers to not be true to themselves is completely unacceptable behavior. I think everyone agrees on this. Reviewers should do their reviews catering to their audience while trying to be objective.

Giving review samples is completely voluntary. Nobody is entitled to review samples unless they have contract saying otherwise

Ray tracing. Why on earth we talk about ray tracing in this topic? It's completely independent topic of the two items above

HUB's policy of deciding what is good/bad. Completely unrelated and subjective. You can agree or disagree with HUB. Their opinion isn't universal truth. However they cater to their audience and provide valuable service. Again this is quite unrelated to the violation nvidia did. Best nvidia could have done is that sorry, you didn't make the cut this time and that would have been absolutely fine. The implied or else part for anyone doing reviews to try to force narrative was completely inappropriate.

Like it or don't. It's entirely a personal preference. You're on a forum here, and you aren't being forced to do shit.
Of course not... You're not forced at all... You'll just be bullied and ridiculed for disagreeing...
Most of us don't give a damn what some other random person prefers, but if you're going to try and create a false narrative that "everyone is being pressured or pretty much forced to like it" like you just did, please don't be the fucking hypocrite that earlier today said ... and I quote ... "If you buy an RTX 3080 which is a 4K card* to play at 1080p with RT, well, to me it simply is not a smart decision.
Ok... Let me requote myself again, and then, you can point out why I'm a hypocrite again...

"If you buy an RTX 3080 which is a 4K card* to play at 1080p with RT, well, TO ME it simply is not a smart decision.

What people prefer to experience with their money is up to them: saying they aren't smart for pursuing their own idea of visual preference (which you did) while claiming to be the victim of a witch-hunt (in which you are currently amongst the influencer led majority) is a load of old bollocks.
Except when it's Hardware Unboxed, which has to be called biased for giving their own opinion... Rather than nVidia being questioned for their actions, they are being questioned for their validity of their reviews. And somehow you dare claim that what people prefer is up to them...? People will talk about ANYTHING to avoid saying that nVidia was in the wrong. What does that tell you?
And yes, the fact that you are here calling me a hypocrite and at the same time pretending that everything in here is all peaceful with rainbows and ponies with no pressure at all to make others conform to a certain opinion is not a witch hunt at all...

I guess I'll be leaving now. I'm tired of the passive aggressiveness. Instead, I'll leave all the work of criticizing nVidia to Gamers Nexus.

I guess I'll be leaving now. I'm tired of the passive aggressiveness. Instead, I'll leave all the work of criticizing nVidia to Gamers Nexus.
Steve's digs at Nvidia aside (which are amusing and on point), it's a comprehensive piece on DLSS in Cyberpunk specifically that really shows both its strengths and weaknesses, where overall in most scenarios its definitely beneficial, even for those focused on rendering accuracy IMO. It highlights some definite issues like motion blurring and flickering, AO weirdness and artifacts with lights but also some amazing things it can do with detail reconstruction. But since it's no longer kosher here to criticize anything Nvidia does without the promoter crew bearing down on you, DLSS is perfect!

Steve's digs at Nvidia aside (which are amusing and on point), it's a comprehensive piece on DLSS in Cyberpunk specifically that really shows both its strengths and weaknesses, where overall in most scenarios its definitely beneficial, even for those focused on rendering accuracy IMO. It highlights some definite issues like motion blurring and flickering, AO weirdness and artifacts with lights but also some amazing things it can do with detail reconstruction. But since it's no longer kosher here to criticize anything Nvidia does without the promoter crew bearing down on you, DLSS is perfect!
It’s better than native!

I would guess raytracing, rasterization and a bunch of other stuff that is neither (shading, volumetrics, texture resolution etc).
I'm lumping in all the non RT settings under rasterization for the sake of this discussion. What do you think is a bigger visual jump. Console settings to the ultra preset, or the ultra preset to ultra preset with the RT options enabled?

If someone has some Cyberpunk footage they feel demonstrates RT offering a transformative improvement I'm eager to check it out.

Last edited:

Another youtuber? Maybe it makes more sense to link to somebody who is a game developer. Here is a interview from nVidia with a chinese company who has focused on the integration of DLSS and Raytracing:
https://news.developer.nvidia.com/refreshing-a-live-service-game/

Gamersnexus and co are not only critizing nVidia they go against every developer who wants to push graphics. Thats the problem. When HUB is calling Raytracing in "Deliver us the Moon" worthless it is an attack on the developers. Is this acceptable from a neutral reviewer?

Another youtuber? Maybe it makes more sense to link to somebody who is a game developer. Here is a interview from nVidia with a chinese company who has focused on the integration of DLSS and Raytracing:
https://news.developer.nvidia.com/refreshing-a-live-service-game/

Gamersnexus and co are not only critizing nVidia they go against every developer who wants to push graphics. Thats the problem. When HUB is calling Raytracing in "Deliver us the Moon" worthless it is an attack on the developers. Is this acceptable from a neutral reviewer?

Seriously? You're suggesting sponsored gamedev interview published by NVIDIA themselves should have more weight to it than GamersNexus (which is quite a bit more than "youtuber")?

If the neutral reviewer* thinks something is worthless, yes, it is acceptable to say it. Why wouldn't it be? And how on earth is it attack on the developers? If he was blaming RT worthless in the game because of the devs, sure, but calling it worthless just for what it is, of course not.
(and did they actually ever say it's worthless, or is this just another exaggaration that seem to run rampant in these discussions?)

(*there's no such thing as "neutral reviewer" really, we all have our personal biases, but that's a far cry from being "biased reviewer" instead of neutral)

Back