CYBERPUNK 2077 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, PS4, PS5]

It's a succession of small scenes. Not vast environments. It's a lot easier to handle.
Yeah, it's basically a rapid montage.

That's true, and Epic has a history of doing their demos on Sony platforms going back to PS2. Still though, MS has a lot of 1P teams that dev on Unreal, did it never cross their mind to get into talks with Epic a couple years back and craft up a demo to showcase their next-gen systems?

I can't recall a PS2 demo but they did a realtime demo of Unreal 4(?) at PS4's unveiling. Given how early Epic showed Unreal 5, I felt their choice of base platform was kind of limited. They needed something easy to write code for with super fast I/O - I think it was PS5 or nothing. Or course, they could just have waited but it sure made a splash showing it as early as they did.

no man's sky devs turned things around for the better, CDPR could do the same, let's give them some more time and we'll see.
But i must say even in this unfinished state on PS5 (PS4 Pro) i'm still enjoying it and love exploring the city they created, even if, of course, it's very far from perfect.
though if i was playing on base PS4 i would not be happy !

Yeah but there's a big difference between the two: NMS ran fine but just lacked content. They kind of got shoved in the spotlight due to big marketing push from Sony but otherwise they were a no-name studio up to that point (not meant in a negative way).

CP2077 is just riddled with a megaton of bugs and pretty much unplayable on some of the 8th-gen systems like XBO with those 15 FPS (and sometimes even lower than that). Game-breaking bugs/glitches, etc. I think people would've preferred if it ran a lot better and stable but just came up a bit short on content, versus what the company has to deal with now.

NMS had an easier path to making up for its shorcomings than CP2077 will, imo.

I see a lot of comments that read like... "I wish this was like a Yakuza game." Or some other smaller scale game.

It's not, it's much larger with much more freedom but as a result it also has less minute detail. You aren't going to sit in a stall and watch your guy eat. You aren't going to manage a club. But, OTOH, you can approach most things anyway you want. There isn't just one way and one way only to do every single mission in the game.

I totally get that this isn't for everyone. That you need the game to provide you with ever last minutiae of detail.

I'm perfectly fine with using my imagination to fill in any details I need. It's still, to me, one of the top 5 games released in the past 20 years. :)

And a big part of that is I don't generally have big daddy game developer hanging over my shoulder constantly telling me I need to do this or I need to do that.

And I don't have a noisy ass protagonist that keeps talking to themselves like, "Hmmmm, I should do this." or "If I do this then it'll have consequences." blah blah blah blah blah. Even more annoying in other games when the protagonist talks to themselves while supposedly sneaking!!! Talk about dumb shit in games. Whoever came up with the idea of the game's protagonist constantly talking to themselves as if they were the narrator should be ashamed of themselves. :p I can give it a pass if it's just mental dialog like in Control, but the dumb shit in other games where the protagonist is actually TALKING to themselves? Barf.

Anyway, as suspected, this game is definitely not for everyone. And it's a shame that the game got so much hype that so many people thought it would be a game for them. What it does, it does absolutely brilliantly, IMO. I liked the Witcher series for the gameplay they offered and the world that they had, but those games still paled in comparison to the freedom that Deus Ex (the original, not the kind of sort of freedom in the new ones) and now Cyberpunk gives the player.

It remains to be seen (by me) whether the story will end up being one to remember or not, but so far I'm just liking the game more and more as I get deeper into the game. The only detractions so far are the various bugs. Thankfully, all of them have been minor for me so far.

Regards,
SB

It's a GTA VI with a bit more rpg elements and set in the future. Review done. Plz IGN pay me.

Edit: BTW I was a bit tired with the stuttering not only on this but in other games, so Intel thank CDP for the 10700k you just sold.

I've been thinking it reminds me of Watch Dogs. There are a lot of similarities, and the driving there wasn't so hot either. This game is definitely iterative of a bunch of recent open world and cyberpunky games and I'm not sure what is unique about it yet. I suppose the level of visual detail to the world is unprecedented, but it is mostly superficial. I wish some of the RPG gameplay standbys like stupid loot quantities and carrying 35 guns could go away but AAA means risk averse of course and gamers expect things.

Last edited:
that's investors fault, devs told them the game need a few more months of polish, they did not listen.

Not just investors. It's also Sony's and Microsoft's fault.

Doesn't matter what a developer thinks the launch condition of their title is, it has to be submitted to each platform holder for approval. You can't launch anything on console without that approval, unlike PC.

There was a failure on both Sony's and Microsoft's part in allowing the title to release on their consoles in the shape that it was in.

You could, of course, claim that Sony and Microsoft aren't responsible for a game not running well or being buggy, but it is still up to them to approve whether a title is in a good enough condition to launch on their platform. If they don't bother to test the titles, then why bother with certification and approval?

These are things even a limited number (handful) of testers should have run into within the first couple hours or even minutes of the game. This isn't something that would only pop up after a player had spend 30 or 40 hours in game, this is immediately in your face on the base consoles.

I can understand indie titles like Life of Black Tiger slipping through the cracks. But a AAA title?

So yes, CDPR is definitely at fault for pushing the launch before the game was more polished. However, Sony and MS are also at fault for allowing it to launch on their platforms in the condition it was in.

Regards,
SB

Yep, but in Cyberpunk it's a non-interactive segment. People are impressed that you can control the character during the Ratchet and Clank loading tunnels, even though they offer about as much interactivity as Sewer Shark.

Not sure why that in particular would be impressive, we've had interactive level loading in games (Gears 5, GoW 2016, Warframe, for example) for years and years now. Just because the levels are loading much faster doesn't suddenly mean it has become hard to have interactivity while the level is loading.

Gamers are really weird in how they find the most boring and uninspiring things impressive. :p

Regards,
SB

CDPR probably played Sony against MS. If MS didn't want to certify 20 fps X1 version Sony might have been fine with 25 fps PS4 version and MS had to decide to either have it on X1 or not. Pretty hard to see them letting Sony have a PS4 version and MS not having an X1 version, for instance.

$240 million (8 million pre-orders x $30 or so) is a lot of money. They might have made the right call from a financial standpoint, since eventually the X1 version will likely be acceptable to most gamers. It might even be now. For all we know there are a million X1 gamers out there right now and 950,000 of them are fine with Cyberpunk as is even. After all, the original Halo probably dropped to 15 fps from time to time. GTA was a mess when it came out. etc... I'd be interested to know if people actually care.

In any case, it sucks a bit for X1 and PS4 users, but I think a lot of people aren't expecting miracles out of their 2013 hardware.

Yeah,but they are optional not part of the main history and you cannot rush into the enemies. you have to plan your approach, use hacks to ping/blind enemies, devices to distract them, fight them one by one. if you do it right, they become easy.

I also think this sensation is "easiness" is the lack of bosses, like wtf? where are the bosses in this game? you fight like 3, maybe 4 and that's it.

But there's still no mods to make Judy straight :(.

I think when they realize they wouldn't be able to get the 2020 realize they started to cut corners to be able to deliver the game in time. The bases are all there, they just didn't develop them enough.

Did you left your weapon on the machine before entering?

I left my guns in the locker. That's why I consider using cinfinite health cheat and rush to checkpoint. I have no weapons lol

Gamers are really weird in how they find the most boring and uninspiring things impressive. :p

Regards,
SB

Like how in some racing games the developers just use a camera to record the sky and some 'Gamers' go: "OMG look at that cloud render tech!!!" ? :D

I was impressed with AC7 of FS2020 (actual) cloud rendering, but it turns out it's 'just' middleware, so the devs did not do it from scratch. Still, without it the games would look very bland

CDPR probably played Sony against MS. If MS didn't want to certify 20 fps X1 version Sony might have been fine with 25 fps PS4 version and MS had to decide to either have it on X1 or not. Pretty hard to see them letting Sony have a PS4 version and MS not having an X1 version, for instance.

$240 million (8 million pre-orders x $30 or so) is a lot of money. They might have made the right call from a financial standpoint, since eventually the X1 version will likely be acceptable to most gamers. It might even be now. For all we know there are a million X1 gamers out there right now and 950,000 of them are fine with Cyberpunk as is even. After all, the original Halo probably dropped to 15 fps from time to time. GTA was a mess when it came out. etc... I'd be interested to know if people actually care.

In any case, it sucks a bit for X1 and PS4 users, but I think a lot of people aren't expecting miracles out of their 2013 hardware.
How many haven't even played it yet? A lot of copies of the game a wrapped up under a tree right now.

After all, the original Halo probably dropped to 15 fps from time to time.

Damnit!
Now I'm going to need a Digital Foundry breakdown of Halo: Combat Evolved on original hardware.
There's a true digital output solution out now, so the results can be perfectly accurate.
Make it happen, DF!

I looked at some videos and I think the GPU and CPU are problems. Even with the obviously low detail settings, they are still upscaling (from 720p?) and it's blurry as a result. Framerate appears ok much of the time but the world detail is reduced and there are still occasional bouts of stuttering.

PS4 is extremely gimpy hardware compared to what it takes to max this game out so I don't think it's surprising what the end result is and the launch XBO is even slower.

I haven't really kept up on the drawbacks to playing recent games on the base consoles but I think there have been numerous other games where it was not a great experience. Which makes me think a person interested in these AAA spectacles should never give money to Sony/MS for a base model.

Last edited:
CDPR making local news stations rounds about having terrible performance and gamers unable to get refunds, is definitely something Sony/MS doesn't want their new machines names attached to (even though it's more of an PS4/XBO issue than anything).

Here is the PC side of me talking, but CP 2077 should have been a PC exclusive for a year, and by the time the PS5 and XBSX|S editions released (Dec 2021) a good majority of the bugs would have been resolved and would have been the next-generation version (rather than waiting for a patch). And MAYBE the PS4/XBO versions would have faired better as well.

What does he mean by this?:

"We don't see the crazy amount of buffers of say, Suckerpunch's PS4 launch Spiderman, nor complex bit-packing and re-interpretation of channels."

Referring to Insomniac's Miles Morales for PS5? I'd be interested to know how it differs from Cyberpunk 2077 and if the rendering for MM has complexities not seen here.

I'm pretty sure he meant Sucker Punch's Infamous Second Son for PS4 launch. That thing had some PHAT g-buffers for the time.

EDIT: I see now, my post is redundant. feel free to delete.

Back