Nvidia giving free GPU samples to reviewers that follow procedure

As far as gaming tech goes and how much effect it has on the overall rendering, compared to most other iterative steps over the last decade or so, real-time raytracing would have to be one of the most significant.

Agreed. I’m also happy to see that we’re almost rid of blocky heads and wheels but there’s still some way to go on geometric detail.

Transform & Lighting maybe?

Cringe :D

“Looks better but not transformative” can describe everything since DirectX 9 debuted in 2002. We just got faster hardware since then that’s running the same old vertex and pixel shaders but at higher resolutions with nicer textures.

If RT isn’t transformative then what is?

I'm referring to the usage of it thus far. Transformative in terms of game settings would be going from medium to high on Crysis. That is an example of something I find transformative.

It's a completely fair comparison. There is nothing he could elaborate on. RT looks better but it's not transformative.

Making something possible is not "transformative"? Sounds like nobody needs restaurants because fast food like Burger King is enough...

Here is something from Control: https://imgsli.com/MzM5MjE
I think the reflection of the player model in the display is transformative...

I'm referring to the usage of it thus far. Transformative in terms of game settings would be going from medium to high on Crysis. That is an example of something I find transformative.

Oh in that case just look at cyberpunk on PS4 vs PC. That’s as transformative as it gets !

nothing proves he's a flat earther

He screams and is angry at NV, calling it bullshit and stinking etc. Thats flat earther level, nothing technical going on, only bashing and claiming NV is fooling everyone. If so, then so is Sony, MS, AMD and even Intel. But, everyone to his own :)

If RT isn’t transformative then what is?

DF thinks its a gamechanger. LTT was very impressed by the difference in RT vs non RT in a scene in CP2077.

People are deliberately misrepresenting arguments.

The argument "against" RT is that it is too performance heavy at this point in time.
But in order to dismiss this fact, the blind supporters of RT & nVidia are pretending that if you believe that the performance hit is too big right now, you somehow do not believe that RT looks better, or you don't believe that it is the future, you do not believe it is game changing, or that you hate nVidia. And that couldn't be further from the truth.

Those things are not mutually exclusive at all. You can perfectly believe that the RT performance hit is not worth it right now, even if it looks better, and at the same time believe that in the future it will be a good feature for both developers and gamers.

But that does not somehow justify focusing primarily on RT for your current graphics card purchase. By the time RT becomes mainstream, they will be too slow anyway. It's as simple as that.

The argument "against" RT is that it is too performance heavy at this point in time.
But in order to dismiss this fact, the blind supporters of RT & nVidia are pretending that if you believe that the performance hit is too big right now, you somehow do not believe that RT looks better, or you don't believe that it is the future, you do not believe it is game changing, or that you hate nVidia. And that couldn't be further from the truth.

Those things are not mutually exclusive at all. You can perfectly believe that the RT performance hit is not worth it right now, even if it looks better, and at the same time believe that in the future it will be a good feature for both developers and gamers.

But that does not somehow justify focusing primarily on RT for your current graphics card purchase. By the time RT becomes mainstream, they will be too slow anyway. It's as simple as that.

Just relax. It's ok. Some people prefer ray tracing in games like cp2077 despite performance hit, some don't. It's all fine.

Just relax. It's ok. Some people prefer ray tracing in games like cp2077 despite performance hit, some don't. It's all fine.

Yeah exactly if you don’t like the performance hit then ummm just turn it off? For some ppl RT is a big selling point, for others they couldn’t care less. Objectively it’s better to have the option to turn it on at all.

If that would be true, that would be a huge misstake of sony, ms etc including RT hardware in their consoles that should last another seven years, or are they not, do we see new ones in 2022?

If that would be true, that would be a huge misstake of sony, ms etc including RT hardware in their consoles that should last another seven years, or are they not, do we see new ones in 2022?
If you think these consoles are viable for RT, then so are the 6800 graphics cards, considering they are the same tech as the consoles and more powerful.

So, are they according to you?

HUB has their POV where they prefer higher resolution, more textures and and 90fps or higher. That's a valid POV. Many people like that type of gaming. On the other hand I will take ray tracing in non competitive gaming any day as I enjoy the pretties over fps. Both pov's are valid and subjective. There should be no controversy over matters of personal tastes.

Where things went wrong was that press absolutely has to have freedom to do reviews the way they like without being pressured. If someone tries to pressure to get favorable review that is absolutely wrong thing to do and should not be allowed. It's also completely fine to choose who to give review samples to. These 2 things are not contradicting. Where it gets muddy is that if you put strings attached into getting review samples. In essence the or else part from linus hit the nail in the head. If nvidia had just said we don't give you review samples anymore that would have been perfectly fine. It was the not so small print in the email that crossed the line in a really bad way.

If you think these consoles are viable for RT, then so are the 6800 graphics cards, considering they are the same tech as the consoles and more powerful.

Yes i think all next gen hardware is viable for RT, if the PS5 is, then in special the 6800 series are because their twice as fast. RT will be limited (even on NV), as in hybrid like we see in spiderman, cyberpunk etc. I see no reason why AMDs gpus wont be supporting RT (they already do?), just less performant.

See the PS5 doing RT reflections with compromises in miles morales. People like it anyway. And thats the whole point, theres a market for it.

Consoles are perfectly fine for limited ray tracing like seen in spiderman 30 and 60fps modes. It will only get better from here on. Launch games never match what comes later on the cycle on year 3,4,5. However ampere and higher end turing cards in pc is far beyond what consoles can do. 6800xt should beat consoles handily as well despite lagging behind ampere. It's somewhere around 3060ti level for ray tracing based on q2 rtx.

Though burdened by the disadvantages that come with being a blind supporter, might I venture a guess when some of the louder doubters might consider RT to be fit for general use?
When was the projected RDNA3 release date again? End of 2021 or so?

There are plenty of reasons why someone might choose a particular graphics card. I wouldn't call RT the primary focus exactly but who are you to determine whether that would be justified?
And of course these cards will eventually become uncompetitive. But then so will the competition, right around the same time.

Tell you what though, I've had my current card for about a year and a half now, and I'm well happy with the way it runs any of the RT titles on offer.

There are plenty of reasons why someone might choose a particular graphics card. I wouldn't call RT the primary focus exactly but who are you to determine whether that would be justified?
And of course these cards will eventually become uncompetitive. But then so will the competition, right around the same time.

I tried to make it very clear I don't try to dictate anyone elses opinion. Maybe reread what I wrote. I'm probably in minority as I upgraded from 1080ti to 3070fe only because of ray tracing. cp2077 is worth it to me. Someone else like HUB has completely opposite opinion and that is fine. I respect HUB's opinion even though I disagree. And I know many people disagree with my personal tastes. We all are allowed to game with the settings and equipment we like.

edit. Sorry for this post. I misunderstood and thought I was being quoted.

Last edited:
Things have to start somewhere, otherwise you're stuck on a perpetual treadmill of "not yet fast enough". It's not as if we are one HW iteration away from finally getting to 42. Every interesting feature started as "not yet fast enough / not yet flexible enough", wouldn't you agree?

I'm probably in minority as I upgraded from 1080ti to 3070fe only because of ray tracing.

I upgraded from a 1080 to a 3090 primarily because I do most of my gaming on a 4K TV and the 1080 wasn’t cutting it. I’m not currently playing any RT titles so rasterization performance is the only thing that matters “today”. However I fully expect to take advantage of its RT & DLSS capabilities in coming years.

Yes i think all next gen hardware is viable for RT, if the PS5 is, then in special the 6800 series are because their twice as fast. RT will be limited (even on NV), as in hybrid like we see in spiderman, cyberpunk etc. I see no reason why AMDs gpus wont be supporting RT (they already do?), just less performant.

See the PS5 doing RT reflections with compromises in miles morales. People like it anyway. And thats the whole point, theres a market for it.
Well then. I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Though burdened by the disadvantages that come with being a blind supporter, might I venture a guess when some of the louder doubters might consider RT to be fit for general use?
When was the projected RDNA3 release date again? End of 2021 or so?
I can't time the future.

Considering the RTX2000 series made graphics cards more expensive for everyone, I'd say it's not unreasonable to suggest that people look at value for money rather than blindly buying whatever is the fastest or has the shiniest new tech.
Besides, that's not really the issue at all. RT is a good feature, but still not good enough to force everyone to use it. That is Hardware Unboxed's stance, and they got trashed for it. So, the question of "who are you to determine X" applies to everyone trashing HUB or whomever does not put a priority on RT.

Everything becomes uncompetitive eventually. That was not my argument. My argument is that even in their current state they are not really capable enough for RT. That's assuming you want 60 fps at your respective resolution with its respective tier card. If you buy an RTX 3080 which is a 4K card to play at 1080p with RT, well, to me it simply is not a smart decision.

Things have to start somewhere, otherwise you're stuck on a perpetual treadmill of "not yet fast enough". It's not as if we are one HW iteration away from finally getting to 42. Every interesting feature started as "not yet fast enough / not yet flexible enough", wouldn't you agree?
Sure. That doesn't mean I have to jump on it though. And that definitely doesn't mean that if I don't want to jump on it, the ones that do want to jump on it get the right to jump on me.

I upgraded from a 1080 to a 3090 primarily because I do most of my gaming on a 4K TV and the 1080 wasn’t cutting it. I’m not currently playing any RT titles so rasterization performance is the only thing that matters “today”. However I fully expect to take advantage of its RT & DLSS capabilities in coming years.
If you want to keep gaming at 4K, I'd temper those expectations regarding RT.

Back