AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

No? NVs RT cores do both traversal and intersection. I assume shader cores are completely free for other work and do not assist traversal.
It's still compute, running on MIMD core(s) in the RT cores.

That's why you have to run at 540 to 720p to get playable results when all the ray tracing effects are turned on, in games that do more than one ray traced effect simultaneously.
So me playing through Control at 60 fps maxed out in 2200x1300 (whatever it is native DLSS'ed up to 4K, don't remember) didn't happen, I guess?
And also where does that put RDNA2's RT then? Made for offline render farms or something?

My theory is that NVidia made hardware accelerated ray tracing for the professional market and then went to Microsoft and said "hey this is realtime". That's why you have to run at 540 to 720p to get playable results when all the ray tracing effects are turned on, in games that do more than one ray traced effect simultaneously.
Yeah, I distinctly remember that they started the RTX presentation with purely professional portfolio and only after that they said it can be used for games as well. When I dabbled in 3dsmax back when the home market CPUs had 2 cores at best, I always wondered if we'd be able to see the materials in an approximately proper fashion without waiting a minute or so that is spent on rendering the scene even with draft quality.

So me playing through Control at 60 fps maxed out in 2200x1300 (whatever it is native DLSS'ed up to 4K, don't remember) didn't happen, I guess?
Dunno, you're being intentionally vague. As you know I don't consider "average" frame rate a valid assessment of playability, only 0.1% lows.

6800XT at DF's recommended settings:

struggling to hold 45fps in a small gunfight.

The smeary "shadows" of legs as people walk around the player character at the start of gameplay are FUCKING HORRIBLE. No idea what setting causes that.

Sounds like chromatic aberration setting. Try switching it off.

AMD has to update their drivers ?
Q2RTX was updated to 1.4.0 and now uses VKRT instead of VKRay:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1089130/view/2903097291402265206 said:
Added support for final Vulkan Ray Tracing API. The game can now run on any GPU supporting `VK_KHR_ray_tracing_pipeline` extension
AMD's current drivers should already support this.

Quake 2 RTX tests, the RTX 3080 is 190% to 200% faster than 6800XT:

CkE8Kw3pzex6T3ZyDTCyBU-970-80.png.webp

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-rx-6800-xt-vulkan-ray-tracing/

Back