Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

Even Linus who has liked DLSS in the past is saying DLSS Performance -setting is bad in CP2077, I can't wait to get to test this myself too, but just look at that horrible moiré it's causing (timestamp)

DLSS is more than just AA in CP2077, it's the only way to play the game.
It most definitely is not the only way to play the game, in fact vast majority of players will play the game without it (simply because they couldn't use it no matter their own preference)

Last edited:
The guy is sitting not even 2 meters away from a 88 inch TV...

I'm sure dlss isn't perfect but is it really that noticable from a more reasonable distance on a 55 ~ 65 inch TV? I'm sure the performance increase far outweighs the downsides compared to whatever res/settings you could play at without dlss.

I was kind of hoping Nvidia to go all out with new DLSS features in Cyberpunk, so it was a bit disappointing to see

- no tensor concurrency (SDK reports ~0.6ms processing time at 1440p output on RTX 3080 as opposed to 0.0ms in Youngblood)
- no dynamic resolution, even though the game has it on the PC version and DLSS 2.1 officially supports dynamic res
- no "Ultra quality mode", which tbf is only a mention in UE4 branch documentation so far, but would be much much more interesting than the pointless Ultra performance mode

Moiré patterning and aliasing/breaking lines do stand out quite often in in this game especially with lower DLSS modes (the high contrast nature of Night City doesn't really help that).

Example of the latter:

Default setting for 1440p is DLSS Balanced but imo it's worth bumping to Quality mode and lowering settings somewhere else.

The guy is sitting not even 2 meters away from a 88 inch TV...

I'm sure dlss isn't perfect but is it really that noticable from a more reasonable distance on a 55 ~ 65 inch TV? I'm sure the performance increase far outweighs the downsides compared to whatever res/settings you could play at without dlss.
Coming from projectors, there is NOTHING unreasonable about ~ one screen width distance.

Moreover, If you extend DLSS with "per object" stuff to fix it I'm not sure it is a constant perfomance hit.

Last edited:
In the end, it's CDPR responsability, no ? Sure nVidia provide ressources/help, but the devs have to make it work great within their engine...

And I guess it was not the priority giving the state of the game.

I may be wrong, but i think dlss 2.0 is just a (advanced) form of temporal upsampling -- it should "just work" on all content, the question is more of how stable are your effects and how many pixels there are to reconstruct.
C77 has a ton of variation per pixel per frame --complicated patterns everywhere, tons of small lights and glossy reflections, lots of animated lights and textures. Imo it's not their fault or dlss's fault, it's working as intended, some content just looks better randomly upscaled than others.

Cyberpunk 2077 only starts to become playable on our GeForce RTX 2080 Super at 1440p without DLSS. Even better, Balanced DLSS is able to average 60 fps, and Performance DLSS is finally able to sustain frame rates above 60 for the entirety of the run. The not so great news about that is that at 1440p, Performance DLSS internally renders the game at 720p and then upscales the game by a factor of two on both the horizontal and vertical axes, and visual quality starts to suffer. We'll examine this in much more detail in our upcoming full review.
chart-fps-medium-rt-2080-super-cyberpunk2077.png

As it turns out, Cyberpunk 2077 is a pretty playable game on NVIDIA's last-gen hardware at WQHD resolutions, as long as DLSS 2.0 isn't a deterrent for you. We have long thought that NVIDIA's newer anti-aliasing method does a very nice job, and in some situations can even improve visual quality. It certainly lives up to its billing as a performance enhancement method, too.
Cyberpunk 2077 First Impressions, Game Settings And Performance - It's A Wild Ride (hothardware.com)

Even Linus who has liked DLSS in the past is saying DLSS Performance -setting is bad in CP2077
Quality mode is indistinguishable from native, it's actually better too. Even performance is not that far off.
New Time stamped for commentary about DLSS and how it can look better than the native res with TAA
See how the TAA native picture shimmers and flickers like crazy? and how every DLSS mode is much much stable in comparison? DLSS also resolves missing fine details like the fence and some texts.

Quality mode is indistinguishable from native, it's actually better too. Even performance is not that far off.

See how the TAA native picture shimmers and flickers like crazy? and how every DLSS mode is much much stable in comparison? DLSS also resolves missing fine details like the fence and some texts.

No mate, this is exactly how it's supposed to look:. Fuyutsuki
E_e[tro7ics

Not sure if anyone wants to see the game with no-AA option.
Well, outside people finding out the sample patterns and such.

Honestly, in some games I disable taa because it's way too blurry for my taste. Jaggies with clean and detailled textures are better in my eyes.

So, I don't know about CP2077 yet, if the taa solution is decent or not ?

Honestly, in some games I disable taa because it's way too blurry for my taste. Jaggies with clean and detailled textures are better in my eyes.

So, I don't know about CP2077 yet, if the taa solution is decent or not ?
Videos seem to show trails behind moving characters and so on.
It does seem to distribute sampling to multiple frames, so without AA it most likely is quite grainy in appearance.

Back