Crimson Desert [PS5, XBSX|S]

It looks great in some places, but again, clipping everywhere and gahhhh, those awful NPC walking animations that we've been seeing since PS2 era, where the knees are always kind of bent and the movement doesn't match very well the animation and they seem to be skating...

Also, the trailer could be better edited. Too long, IMO.

But it looks nice and fun. ^_^

Thought it was kind of a sequel to Black Desert Online. that's what the gameplay footage reminded me of a bit.
There's a 2019 trailer on the official channel. They improved a lot in the character design and all.
But yeah I don't always trust all the early footages. but so nice to see such works from South korea.
With this project and Black Myth : Wukong. Asian devs are going big.
Will keep an eye on this game but not a fan off MMO games.

Yup that looks like an evolution of the Black Desert Online engine but with less pop-in and longer draw distances. Character models look a little more refined (they were already fantastic in BDO).

Looks to have the same signature action-RPG combat style as BDO as well, but evolved to have more moves and more dynamic throws. Climbing looks like it's been improved since BDO and appears more dynamic.

If this is basically a single player evolution of BDO, that would be absolutely amazing. I stopped playing BDO because I've stopped playing all MMORPGs due to how much time I sink into them and how addicted I get with them. So if I can basically experience a single player version of BDO, that would blow my mind.

It's interesting to think that MMORPGs have some of the best (if not the best) 3rd person action combat of any game. It's just that in MMORPGs you're usually using it against fodder that can't really fight back, so it doesn't feel as rewarding as single player games which almost always have much worse 3rd person action combat.

The Korean PC MMO developers have refined 3rd person action combat to almost an art form. Godfall can only wish it had combat as good as Korean MMOs.

Regards,
SB

Saw this over the weekend and I thought it looked amazing but must be a high end PC build. Now it seems that it's next gen consoles? Nice! Super sharp, super detailed, great characters. Loads of stuff on screen.

Bit generic, but what's not generic these days? Also, very much looks like 30fps and I of course will happily sacrifice some sharpness if it means getting 60.

I hope they add coop to the game for raids etc. Single player is soo last gen. The engine looks good but likely will only run well on PC and the new consoles. BDO on X1X has a lot of tearing when running in 4K. Even at 1080p the framerate is only about 30 with slight tearing and some slowdown. Combat system is definitely the best among MMOs.

Step back into the breathtaking world of Crimson Desert and join the lone mercenary as he navigates both the stunning beauty and cutthroat dangers of Pywel in the latest gameplay trailer which premiered at gamescom Opening Night Live 2023.Welcome to a war-torn realm of medieval fantasy where history will be written in blood.(This gameplay trailer contains actual in-game footage. As a work-in-progress, the content is subject to change.)

I feel like they have added any other game mechanic but car racing.
The generic medieval/fantasy setting is so abused that makes me puke, but want this.

We'll see on this. Definitely trips my 'too good to be true' alarms. Most great game developers know that trying to do it all tends to lead to big problems when attempting to make it all work together in a cohesive and enjoyable way. Especially when you have to stretch these mechanics and systems over a very long playthrough as with an RPG.

This just feels like 'Ambition: The RPG'. Focus and vision are really like the biggest factors in what makes games end up great. Not to say that ambition is bad, I love ambitious games, but even most games that are ambitious tend to still really prioritize certain elements so those stand up above any downsides it has.

Back