Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

It's funny to me thinking back, but I always thought that the best looking prerelease screenshots for Halo 1-3 were from the multiplayer levels. They've definitely managed to capture that vibe, which is a positive sign.

I've always liked those! /Shrug

xD Well okay, wouldn't say they look bad but, I think they'd look better if there were some small details etched into them, or if they looked weathered. As-is they just kinda stand out to me. Seems like there's a theme in some sense regarding the environment and maybe these sterile pillar-thingies are meant to stand out kinda jarringly to contrast with the natural beauty around them, but without having any info on the story that's just me reaching and speculating for fun.

Just been pondering something.
If they had pushed it back to first half of 2021 I would say they had to support last gen, only made sense.

But all the way to the fall is that really necessary now.
They should be rolling out Anaconda based xcloud by then. So it could be a positive on many levels.
  • Stream to previous gen consoles
  • Engine, tools, focused on next 7-10 years
  • Don't need to worry about jaguar, and hdd.
  • Some of the issues they have highlighted would be resolved by SFS and not worrying about previous gen.
  • Could be the first 1P current gen exclusive
  • Console, PC, Streaming should give a decent size addressable base market by then
  • Say "obviously you all know we tried really hard to make it cross gen, but the scope and target was just to high" people would lap that up.

Did consider split i.e. Current gen only campaign, cross gen multi player. But not sure if that would be worth doing.

This sounds like a good idea. Native ports to XBO and One X, that far out, doesn't make a lot of sense for a game they want to support for 10 years, because that would mean needing to support the XBO and One X versions natively 'till 2031. WAAAAY too long.

Cross-gen works better for single-player experiences I'd say, like with Miles Morales. It's not even so much a technical limitation (to some extent; with Halo it might actually be because you can't offer 120 FPS multiplayer on 8th-gen as a native port, so they'd be segmenting their online playerbase or limiting the 9th-gen multiplayer in some way), so much as a business one.

But streaming to 8th-gen legacy hardware through Xcloud? Makes perfect sense. In fact I was hoping this is what Microsoft meant when they said they were supporting cross-gen from the start. Only limiting factor by that point would be app software and OS updates (and potentially bandwidth for high-fidelity streaming, since I'd think XBO and One X's wifi capabilities are more limited and even ethernet speeds would be diminished compared to Series S and X).

Agree, very glad they pushed the release date back. At first I was disappointed (obviously) and wanted them to release it and fix the graphics later, but this is for the best. The new screenshots they released have a much darker tone than what we saw in the June video. Much closer to the original Slipspace Engine teaser video. I'm guessing they're putting in a really strong effort to update Craig as well :D.

Took me a minute to realize these were multiplayer screenshots. They're aiming for 120 FPS with the multiplayer (assumed), and it already looks way better than what July showed. It might not be too much a stretch to say they can hit the fidelity of the SlipSpace teaser (or even slightly better) in real-time with the campaign mode since that will probably be a locked 60 FPS.

That and them quelling some fears on the MTX side of things, getting Jason back and (not to sound like a dick) at least changing up some of the upper management or putting a fire under their ass to get things polished up, I dare say my faith in this game has been restored.

Last edited:
It does't seem from the bits of maps they
Well okay, wouldn't say they look bad but, I think they'd look better if there were some small details etched into them, or if they looked weathered. As-is they just kinda stand out to me. Seems like there's a theme in some sense regarding the environment and maybe these sterile pillar-thingies are meant to stand out kinda jarringly to contrast with the natural beauty around them, but without having any info on the story that's just me reaching and speculating for fun.

It's definitely the contrast between nature and mysterious alien tech I like. The simple geometric style ties into loads of sci-fi book stuff for me.

Still have to support Xbox One S for that. They haven't even put any Series X systems in their data centers that we know of. And when they do they will support 4 One S instances. Who knows if they will allow Series X streaming.

As for the update news, looks like we will get a slightly better Halo. But I would have been fine with what was shown. Not having it at launch stunk. Especially considering there weren't any other new 1st party titles to get excited about. Almost rather they shipped campaign anyway. Then have an alpha multiplayer in preview. <shrug>

Can't wait for an article or video from @Dictator on his thoughts.

Tommy McClain

if they were content complete and it is a graphical issue they are now working on then if i was management i would work another 6 months on content for launch adding as much as I could and then with the remaining 6 months work on post launch content
There were several glassdoor reviews that indicated promises were made for the tooling to improve for content creation. Yes they could have been content locked. But from content lock to launch is still a ton of work in everything else. That just means they aren't adding in more content.

With a year delay, they probably reset their content lock timing while working on just about everything. The real question is whether or not they intend to address content authoring tools that is what caused so much pain for them in the first place.

Just been pondering something.
If they had pushed it back to first half of 2021 I would say they had to support last gen, only made sense.

But all the way to the fall is that really necessary now.
They should be rolling out Anaconda based xcloud by then. So it could be a positive on many levels.
  • Engine, tools, focused on next 7-10 years
  • Don't need to worry about jaguar, and hdd.
  • Some of the issues they have highlighted would be resolved by SFS and not worrying about previous gen.
  • Could be the first 1P current gen exclusive
  • Console, PC, Streaming should give a decent size addressable base market by then
  • Say "obviously you all know we tried really hard to make it cross gen, but the scope and target was just to high" people would lap that up.

Did consider split i.e. Current gen only campaign, cross gen multi player. But not sure if that would be worth doing.

the game is done on the last gen consoles so why switch to just streaming ?

The issue isn't what the game looks like on the xbox one and x its what it looks like on the two series machines and going forward it seems they are focusing on making the game look great on next gen consoles using features available there.

Still have to support Xbox One S for that. They haven't even put any Series X systems in their data centers that we know of. And when they do they will support 4 One S instances. Who knows if they will allow Series X streaming.

As for the update news, looks like we will get a slightly better Halo. But I would have been fine with what was shown. Not having it at launch stunk. Especially considering there weren't any other new 1st party titles to get excited about. Almost rather they shipped campaign anyway. Then have an alpha multiplayer in preview. <shrug>

Can't wait for an article or video from @Dictator on his thoughts.

Tommy McClain
I guess for me, and just thinking back on Halo and halo campaigns; it really needed a wow factor. Something that made it Halo and not another title.
And it doesn't have to be lighting, it doesn't have to be how real it looks. What it needed, was that 'world of warcraft' scale factor. That very first time you visit IronForge, or the Thunder Bluffs. The first time you enter Molten Core etc. The first time you visit the Fyords for Wrath of Lich King. The first time I visited Darnassus!

This sense of wonder, the sense of massive size and scale, huge verticality.

The thing that killed Halo for me was how sterile the whole game became starting with 4. Halo 1-3 was also super sterile, but I forgive them for it because it was still greenish. They tried.
WIth 4+ The only enemies to deal with are the typical ones, but the ground and world is all metal. But on Halo rings, there is life, actual wild life, things that should be trying to kill you. There was not a single map I recall where there was green forestry!

Halo the game has often felt incomplete because there was no real Halo ring for me, it was just a play ground in which I fought the same enemies over and over again. But Halo in the books, the wild life, and other threats that are local to each Halo ring, was never present. That's why the HI first trailer was so critical in capturing my interest. But it looks quickly like its headed back in the other direction. The direction where the only interactable NPCS are all typical faction scrubs.

Having played Fallen Order, or just the other star wars games, fighting local creatures (that f**ng toad) is very much part of the game and the lore

Last edited:
While I liked the 1st trailer for the same reasons as you, I'm not totally convinced the latest trailer is evidence that it's still not going in that direction. But the great thing about Halo is that it's different things to different people. We will get all that wildlife & sense of wonder? Maybe, maybe not. Will I still play the campaign regardless? Yep. Will I play the multiplayer? Probably not. I just wished it was already here. I need something new to play until the other 1st party games get here.

Tommy McClain

Halo the game has often felt incomplete because there was no real Halo ring for me, it was just a play ground in which I fought the same enemies over and over again. But Halo in the books, the wild life, and other threats that are local to each Halo ring, was never present. That's why the HI first trailer was so critical in capturing my interest. But it looks quickly like its headed back in the other direction. The direction where the only interactable NPCS are all typical faction scrubs.

I'd love a Halo that met that promise of the whole ring being this living, breathing world that you could circumnavigate if you had the time to travel thousands of km. * They described it as 5x the map size of prior games, so this isn't that version of Halo. I'm assume it's a variety of locations a feel of Halo's more open maps and a hub.

* I say think knowing that I've just designed the world's more boring FPS. It'd have an audience of at least me though.

that's why I prefixed it with if Anaconda xcloud had rolled out.
Report that blade started coming off assembly line I think it was couple months or so ago.
I wasn't 100% convinced myself of it rolling out next year, but I'm allowing people like @eastmen to override my scepticism as I can see it being possible.
Anaconda will be able to run current gen games, as well as 4 1S in BC mode.
The issue isn't what the game looks like on the xbox one and x its what it looks like on the two series machines and going forward it seems they are focusing on making the game look great on next gen consoles using features available there.
that's a pretty large jump.
Where have you seen it running on previous gen, what reports and articles have you read?
All we really know is that what was shown was bad, and was current gen target, no one was interested or reporting on previous gen because current was so bad.

Also I'm not just talking about graphics, I'm talking about having to baseline features of the engine to working on jaguars and hdd. AI, animation, level design, size, scope, etc.

1P games aren't just about making money, it's about selling the platform, so it's in a unique position in that regards.
When will they stop support for previous gen?
Having a baseline of current gen for the next 7 years or so rather than having jaguar and hdd support built in would be much better for a gaas title that is coming out in fall 2021 and is 1P.
Use this time to also build spectacular maps that's not possible on current gen, add a couple bits into campaign that you don't need to worry about last gen.
Have a year, where most should already be done if it was really going to launch in November.

I've seen it with my own eyes.

If you want to see how vastly different experiences can be based on hardware look at cyberpunk. It looks like a completely different game on one/ps4 vs pc with rtx .

I like that they have a focus on fine texture detail. It's a must have for good Halo graphics. Not sure what this Spartan has been doing to his crotch to scuff it up so much though. :)

View attachment 5067

That's not just any Spartan! That's our own @London Geezer ! As to what he's been doing in that armor? Well.............Let's just say he needed a bit of help in Demon's Souls and the Mjolnir armor was a right pain in the you-know-what for the demons.

Regards,
SB

I've seen it with my own eyes.

If you want to see how vastly different experiences can be based on hardware look at cyberpunk. It looks like a completely different game on one/ps4 vs pc with rtx .
That's nice to hear, thanks for the feedback and I'll not out right dismiss it, but as I said in my original post and the follow up, it's not just about graphics.
Graphics can generally scale pretty well, although I rather it scale down than up as a side note.

The concept art has two stars. Not expecting it in-game, but that would be nifty for the daylight changes. Even then, I'm not sure how they'll even go about the daylight cycle since it's not a typical planetary body.

https://content.halocdn.com/media/D...t-art-4k-4caee7b0e02b4cc5957cb8b715d247d1.png

Day night cycle seems to be really quick in the infinite demo. The sun moves fairly quickly downwards. It's quick awkward honestly. There's no reason for there to be sun down.

Day night cycle seems to be really quick in the infinite demo. The sun moves fairly quickly downwards. It's quick awkward honestly. There's no reason for there to be sun down.

Right it really depends on how the ring is orbiting the star system. The ring is probably rotating on its own as seen in previous halos so that the a given point of the ring (relative to the direction of the star) will get sunlight at some point of the rotation (let's assume half the ring is in shadow and the rest is in light at a given time). The star could also be stationary relative to the ring (geosynchronous somehow), so at a given point of rotation of the ring, the star will be somewhere visible or not - if you're on the near side, the exterior of the ring is facing the sun, so you don't see it. Meanwhile the far side of the ring has the interior of the ring facing towards the star.

It's clearly a lot more complicated with moving stars (or if there are even 2 stars), but again, we might say for the sake of the story that it's in geosynchronous orbit in the system (I think that's how Halo 1/2 were operating too although they were near planetary bodies, so who knows).

It's probably too much to expect a physically accurate modelling. :p

Last edited:
July was indeed a very much work-in-progress slice of the technology, and a reasonable set of key features from global illumination and dynamic time of day, to GPU-driven rendering and variable rate shading were all in active development.
oooh yea.

I immediately thought of you when I read that line lol. ExecuteIndirect lol
I mean, I'm happy they are moving there, it's great to know that progress is headed in this direction.

I'm a little perplexed they weren't already doing this with XBO since Halo 5. There was no reason to not head this route earlier except perhaps scheduling/priorities

Back