Intel Rocket Lake [January 2021?]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7537

So Intel had decided to, according to a well trusted source, launch the next Rocket Lake CPUs right at the beginning of next year.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/intel-11th-gen-rocket-lake-s-cpus-preponed-for-january-2021-launch/

Arquitectura-Cypress-Cove-Intel-Rocket-Lake-S-1.jpg

Some rumors about the new CPUs:

- Double digit improvement in IPC (10-15% is what most people are speculating)
- 8 cores max due to being back ported to 14nm
- Clocks up to 5.3 - 5.5 Ghz

https://wccftech.com/intel-rocket-l...marks-leak-out-on-par-with-amd-ryzen-7-5800x/

The Intel Rocket Lake CPU score 1645 points in the single-core and 9783 points in the multi-core tests. If we were to compare these results with AMD's fastest 8 core and 16 thread Zen 3 offering, the Ryzen 7 5800X, we will find that the score is about on par with the competition. The Ryzen 7 5800X scores 1661 in single-core and 10367 in multi-core on average.

Question now is price and power consumption.

The 8 core has a "TDP" of 125W and PL2 of 250W so power is not going to be good obviously. It would likely be priced in between Zen 2 and Zen 3, I'd expect around $400 for the 8 core.

As long as they can sell them I don't expect them to drop price, and yes those TDPs don't look good at all.

Intel still releasing CPUs made on 14nm is mad.

Well, it's their last 14nm chip. Alder Lake is 7nm 10nm and should come out in Q4 21 to be later replaced by Meteor Lake supposedly built using a 7nm node, 10nm has been a complete failure.

This is just a backport of their 10nm cores to fight with AMD and don't let them win by 20% on every benchmark.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as they can sell them I don't expect them to drop price, and yes those TDPs don't look good at all.

It's not a drop, but a price increase. The current 8 core 10700k is ~$350 USD. Given the (lack of) availability of Zen 3, I think they'll still sell. Yes the power rating also necessitates a high end motherboard and cooling system to get the best out of Rocket Lake (also because Intel does not allow memory OC on lower end boards, and they won't have PCIE 4.0 either). That in itself can run a $100 or more vs a comparable AMD system.
Well, it's their last 14nm chip. Alder Lake is 7nm 10nm and should come out in Q4 21 to be later replaced by Meteor Lake supposedly built using a 7nm node, 10nm has been a complete failure.

This is just a backport of their 10nm cores to fight with AMD and don't let them win by 20% on every benchmark.

10SF isn't looking too bad really, they probably just dont have the volume to cater to desktop and hence the backport. And 10ESF should bring some further gains. Alder Lake might just be a good competitor to Zen 4.

I believe 6c/12t is starting to show some limitations, and with 8c/16t (on a good cpu) around on consoles, I believe 8c/16t is a safer bet.

Back