Dirt 5 [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

I dont think it supports wheels, i have this notion that it would be more fun with a wheel.
And somebody standing nearby with a bucket of mud just throwing it in your face? :runaway:

I think it looks rather nice.

Shame about the blocky hill in there somewhere. You know, mobile game.

Watching the DF video I still think its a mixed bag. And I'm not even a big stickler for texture density or the such. I care much more about how the lighting and shading comes together to form a cohesive whole. Squint-eye realism, so to speak. And this game looks perfect at points, and very below average at others. I know, I know, dynamic ToD and Weather, sure, but still almost all other open world games lauching now or in the past few years do a better job than DiRT.

I'd say the most obvious problem to me is GI. At least going by many scenes where its sunny as ever and yet shadows are harshly black, with very little hints of any significant aproximation of bounce light. Their vegetations is the second eye sore for me, as it was on Rush too. It does not fit the environment well. It looks very artificial and nearly like floating above the terrain.

Eh...

Admitedly, I'm going off of videos, but I can't see more pixel level detail improving overall shading and lighting cohesiveness.

EDIT: It does look more than good enough though. The game being fun is the most important part. I'm just pointing out my thoughts on the graphics because its B3D here. It does do a competent job of being a high budget game, but within those bounds, its in the low edge of that. Flerting with mediocricy I'd say.

Watching the DF video I still think its a mixed bag. And I'm not even a big stickler for texture density or the such. I care much more about how the lighting and shading comes together to form a cohesive whole. Squint-eye realism, so to speak. And this game looks perfect at points, and very below average at others. I know, I know, dynamic ToD and Weather, sure, but still almost all other open world games lauching now or in the past few years do a better job than DiRT.

I'd say the most obvious problem to me is GI. At least going by many scenes where its sunny as ever and yet shadows are harshly black, with very little hints of any significant aproximation of bounce light. Their vegetations is the second eye sore for me, as it was on Rush too. It does not fit the environment well. It looks very artificial and nearly like floating above the terrain.

Eh...

Admitedly, I'm going off of videos, but I can't see more pixel level detail improving overall shading and lighting cohesiveness.

EDIT: It does look more than good enough though. The game being fun is the most important part. I'm just pointing out my thoughts on the graphics because its B3D here. It does do a competent job of being a high budget game, but within those bounds, its in the low edge of that. Flerting with mediocricy I'd say.
I disagree 100%. Specially with how Youtube is butchering video quality these days. Watching a screenshot or even a video on another platform like twitter and the difference is outstanding. Nowhere near mediocre.

I understand you see all this when you look at videos that you use to evaluate all of this stuff. But as with pixel counting, do you see this when playing a game like this.
I am more concerned about taking the corner and trying to advance through the field than evaluating the harshness of the shadows.
I know this is B3D and compering graphics is whats done here.
But as you mentioned the most important thing about the game, to me at least, does it work as a game, is it fun?
If a low poly mound wizzes past you in less than a second, does it really matter for the sake of the game. I do understand that it matter about visual prowess/perfect graphics.

To me its comparing Messi or Ronaldo to the guy with the Guiness book of records world record of kepy upies (sp?), he has the world record, but most likely is useless at football :D

I understand you see all this when you look at videos that you use to evaluate all of this stuff. But as with pixel counting, do you see this when playing a game like this.
I am more concerned about taking the corner and trying to advance through the field than evaluating the harshness of the shadows.
I know this is B3D and compering graphics is whats done here.
But as you mentioned the most important thing about the game, to me at least, does it work as a game, is it fun?
If a low poly mound wizzes past you in less than a second, does it really matter for the sake of the game. I do understand that it matter about visual prowess/perfect graphics.

To me its comparing Messi or Ronaldo to the guy with the Guiness book of records world record of kepy upies (sp?), he has the world record, but most likely is useless at football :D
This is a technical forum, as one that usually has no interest in playing all these games, I'm happy to have a place to come to read and talk about this stuff. I'm sure there's plenty of places that are only interested in the aspects you describe.
Which is also discussed here also.
It's like going to a DF video or article and not expecting it to be about engine and technical comparisons etc.

This is a technical forum, as one that usually has no interest in playing all these games, I'm happy to have a place to come to read and talk about this stuff. I'm sure there's plenty of places that are only interested in the aspects you describe.

This forum is as much about discussing playing games as the tech. Its right there in the forum description :yes:

It still fascinates how great the game looks in the rain. And other games failed to reproduce the same level so far.
Not only rain, but also clouds. This race of mine from ages ago starts high in the clouds and then at ~40sec mark we get under them. Then at 1:10 we briefly catch the bottom of another cloud.

Not only rain, but also clouds. This race of mine from ages ago starts high in the clouds and then at ~40sec mark we get under them. Then at 1:10 we briefly catch the bottom of another cloud.
Also the road looks incredible with all those puddles. Looks very natural.

Back