Rumors again on Silent Hills and Metal Gear Solid Remake [2020]

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
Could be a bunch of nonsense but it is interesting that these rumors come up every once in a while
We didnt get any announcements at the game awards.
But could also probably be in line with rumors of Sony acquiring Bluepoint.

Well I wish these rumors are true. I d love to revisit MGS1 in next gen experience, of course assuming it is closer to the atmosphere of the original and it is not over the top like the GC remake. The action scenes were ridiculous in the latter.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...Nbp82jcWgohMJXoTdXDgayPSZHKUJWYrrds9wAMH02Ens

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
It’s interesting, my guess when they were working on DS was against the trend and I thought it was MGS...be great if true.

I hope they keep all the voice acting and the soundtrack intact. They can do whatever they like with the graphics and gameplay!

MGS1 does not hold up to the test of time, IN MY OPINION. Game design wise. Its sneaking mechanics end up being barely utilized, and you spend most of the time watching cutscenes or playing through gimicky arcadey action setpieces and bosses. It's like buying a mario game, and you have 3 platforming levels in it, and the rest is mingames and cutscenes. (fuck, I just described Conker Bad Fur Day, didn't I?)

If yhey remake MGS1, I would hope they'd actually redesign the whole fucking thing.

if you played in the hardest difficulty you HAD to play stealth, because if spotted it was game over.

My complaint about MGS1 is not that the stealth sections were easy. But that they were scarce. The game is full of one-time set-piece moments that do more to dilute the core mechanic than enhance it.

Perma death is always a player option in any game, even if not in the code itself, they player can always chose to restart from zero every time he fails. This may change the experience, but it's still no fix for poor game design

MGS1 does not hold up to the test of time, IN MY OPINION. Game design wise. Its sneaking mechanics end up being barely utilized, and you spend most of the time watching cutscenes or playing through gimicky arcadey action setpieces and bosses. It's like buying a mario game, and you have 3 platforming levels in it, and the rest is mingames and cutscenes. (fuck, I just described Conker Bad Fur Day, didn't I?)

If yhey remake MGS1, I would hope they'd actually redesign the whole fucking thing.
I am not sure if you played or remember the game well.
I remember myself using a lot of stealth. If you are going Rambo you will be getting spawned soldiers all the time until you hide.
It was also a lot more fun going stealth.
The game was short and packed with variety like no other in my book. To this day we might discover mechanics we didnt know were even in. Every area and encounter was super memorable and required a different strategy or gameplay mechanic. Nothing was experienced like a mini game.
MGS was ahead of it's time. I played it again a few months ago, and I was astonished how that game has set the gameplay standards and game directing we experience in modern games.
So yeah you described Conker Bad Fur Day. :p

I remember myself using a lot of stealth. If you are going Rambo you will be getting spawned soldiers all the time until you hide.
The game was short and packed with variety like no other in my book. To this day we might discover mechanics we didnt know were even in. Every area and encounter was super memorable and required a different strategy or gameplay mechanic. Nothing was experienced like a mini game.
MGS was ahead of it's time. I played it again a few months ago, and I was astonished how that game has set the gameplay standards and game directing we experience in modern games.
Yeah, I played it a couple years ago and after adjusting to the controls it was a great experience for me.

Heresy.

edit: I've played it recently on my Vita and I think still holds quite well despite the outdated graphics. I do think however that the gameplay style doesn't fit with today's typical gamer interest.

I think you missunderstood what I meant. I think the stealth mechanics are great, and they DO hold up very well. What I take issue with is the campaign design. The game has not that many stealth sections to take advantage of those great mechanics. Almost half of the campaign time is not sneaking gameplay, and does not use the core mechanics. A lot of it is bosses and other setpiece moments that are not nearly as mechanically interesting as the stealth sections. Ex: forced action shooting range sections, sniper battle, guided RPG though labyrinths, rappelling down building, jeep chases... The game has dozens of those. And while they aren't horrible, they ain't great either, so everytime I'm playing through those I'm thinking "I would so much rather be playing through another stealth segment than this, because the stealth gameplay is so much deeper and more polished, and for god's sake its what I bought the game for!"

Almost everything in MGS1 that is not actual stealth, actually waters down the game's best aspects instead of enhancing them, but then they account for half of the playtime (and I'm ignoring cutscene and dialogue there)

Last edited:
I think you missunderstood what I meant. I think the stealth mechanics are great, and they DO hold up very well. What I take issue with is the campaign design. The game has not that many stealth sections to take advantage of those great mechanics. Almost half of the campaign time is not sneaking gameplay, and does not use the core mechanics. A lot of it is bosses and other setpiece moments that are not nearly as mechanically interesting as the stealth sections. Ex: forced action shooting range sections, sniper battle, guided RPG though labyrinths, rappelling down building, jeep chases... The game has dozens of those. And while they aren't horrible, they ain't great either, so everytime I'm playing through those I'm thinking "I would so much rather be playing through another stealth segment than this, because the stealth gameplay is so much deeper and more polished, and for god's sake its what I bought the game for!"

Almost everything in MGS1 that is not actual stealth, actually waters down the game's best aspects instead of enhancing them, but then they account for half of the playtime (and I'm ignoring cutscene and dialogue there)
I had no issue with any of the sections you mention. I found each boss very interesting, and it offered multiple ways of approach. It is one of the reasons why I loved it so much and why every boss is memorable. How can you NOT find the Praying Mantis boss memorable? Ocelot could read your tactics if you werent careful enough and changed his own (i.e try using C4's and he will notice if you arent careful and will avoid walking through them). That was so ahead of if its time. Cyborg Ninja's boss fight was exhilarating, trying to figure out where he was hiding and discover new approaches. The encounter with Sniper Wolf was an intense 1 on 1 battle and if I recall the second time we encounter her could also put stealth to good use. You could identify with Snake's super expertise and training in every section of the game and he could adapt nto what was thrown at him. The various elements you mention, I viewed them as interesting variety and why I never got bored of the game. Imagine how flat it would have been if every boss was approached with the same stealth mechanic as in the normal sections. Every boss was filled with character and curiosity spreading to the gameplay mechanics. I liked how the game put you in moments where Snake had limited options and was forced to take other measures. It took you by surprise. Like that time where you found out that you were in the elevator with other soldiers using stealth camo. Or how about that section where you were locked in a cell and had to experiment with various ways to trick the guard? That was soooo amazing.
I felt that the stealth was adequate and was topped with a lot of spices. And of course the game needs its peak moments, which is were we got the epic battle at the top of Rex and a jeep chase. Every single "non-stealth" section of the game was unique. I finished the game like 10 times. That says a lot I think :p

When games should be evolving, they're just wanting to remake everything! :D

What's old will be new again. Right? :)

Oh, and...

There hasn't been any news on the Silent Hill games for a while. However, we have 3 months to go until E3.

Remember a while ago there was a demo rated in Taiwan and Korea? Well, radio silence is quite the issue with this franchise, because I haven't heard anything about that for ages. Which is ironic in a way, because radios always act up when monsters are coming for you. ;)

I believe the third movie has entered principal photography. The last I heard, at least. Gans recently said that they were ready to start work on it. :)

As for Bloober Team...

Well, someone started to spread misinformation about sales estimates for the remake, so they came out and said that while the game is practically ready, they are waiting on Konami indicating when it can be released. The rest of the rumours they claimed was a result of fan translation nonsense...

Back