Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 5700XT is able to compete with a 2070. A PS5 is not far from a 2080 but this will maybe not bet true because of the memory bandwidth. If the PS5 performs better than expected reading the spec against PC, I am curious to know why? But again the lack of transparency on Sony side is a bad thing.

One should make sure the PC software being used as a measuring stick isn't produced by the Microsoft GDK since that's currently suspected as being a potential issue.

A 5700XT is able to compete with a 2070. A PS5 is not far from a 2080 but this will maybe not bet true because of the memory bandwidth. If the PS5 performs better than expected reading the spec against PC, I am curious to know why? But again the lack of transparency on Sony side is a bad thing.

Yes, your saying it yourself basically, PS5 is in between 2070 and 2080, which makes it about 2070S. In AMD favoured games its going to end up higher but lower in others. I still think a vanilla 2070 would match the PS5 in the GPU department. Time will tell.
Also, the lack of transparency from Sony isnt bad, their console outperfoms the XSX, i dont think they have to say anything now. Sony isnt intrested in competing with Nvidias 2018 gpus, neither with any PC gpu from today. They compete with XSX, and to some extend XSS.

I think if you want to measure performance, a better comparison would be a 6700XT which is rated at the exact same performance. I have no idea why Turing GPUs are so popular to compare with these days :p

Yes, your saying it yourself basically, PS5 is in between 2070 and 2080, which makes it about 2070S. In AMD favoured games its going to end up higher but lower in others. I still think a vanilla 2070 would match the PS5 in the GPU department. Time will tell.
Also, the lack of transparency from Sony isnt bad, their console outperfoms the XSX, i dont think they have to say anything now. Sony isnt intrested in competing with Nvidias 2018 gpus, neither with any PC gpu from today. They compete with XSX, and to some extend XSS.

I think if you want to measure performance, a better comparison would be a 6700XT which is rated at the exact same performance. I have no idea why Turing GPUs are so popular to compare with these days :p

Normally on Tflops spec the PS5 is equivalent at max speed to a 2080 not 2070 or 2070 Super and the Xbox Series X between a 2080 Super and a 2080Ti. Turing Tflops aren't better than RDNA Tflops but seeing the memory bandwidth I think the PS5 is behind.

EDIT: The digitalfoundry comparison will be made between the best Turing GPU against the PS5.

Normally on Tflops spec the PS5 is equivalent at max speed to a 2080 not 2070 or 2070 Super and the Xbox Series X between a 2080 Super and a 2080Ti. Turing Tflops aren't better than RDNA Tflops but seeing the memory bandwidth I think the PS5 is behind.

EDIT: The digitalfoundry comparison will be made between the best Turing GPU against the PS5.

I thought TeraFlops had become useless these days? :) If the DF comparison is about one AMD-optimized title, we wont have much of a good idea there.
Its quite obvious that a 2080Ti is the faster more capable GPU. I still say ballpark 2070/S to the PS5, but like i said, whats with this Turing comparisons anyway? 2018 GPUs from a different manufacturer :p

I thought TeraFlops had become useless these days? :) If the DF comparison is about one AMD-optimized title, we wont have much of a good idea there.
Its quite obvious that a 2080Ti is the faster more capable GPU. I still say ballpark 2070/S to the PS5, but like i said, whats with this Turing comparisons anyway? 2018 GPUs from a different manufacturer :p

We will know if the PS5 performs worse or better than a 5700XT. We have benchmark on AC Vahalla between AMD 5700XT and Turing GPU. It will help to know if there is something custom or different on PS5 helping it to reach it full potential or if it is bandwith limited.;)

At 1440p a 5700XT perform nearly at the same level than a 2080 Super in this game.

Can't wait for comparison. I think theory that ps5 gpu is similar in performance to rx5700 (not xt) because of shared bandwidth with cpu will end in first benchmark ;)

We will know if the PS5 performs worse or better than a 5700XT.

lets just assume that its atleast what a 5700XT does and then some. RDNA2 gpus most likely make for better comparisons.

It will help to know if there is something custom or different on PS5 helping it to reach it full potential or if it is bandwith limited.

If theres something custom that we wont know by looking at a current gen game as a benchmark, compared to 2018 GPUs.

At this point in time, does it really matter for you? The PS5 is ATM performing better then the XSX (due to whatever reason) in just about every game. Seeing it does so, it seems its reaching its 'full potentional' as it performs quite well and 4k60 isnt a problem.
PC gpus basically dont reach their full potentional due to less optimization.

At 1440p a 5700XT perform nearly at the same level than a 2080 Super in this game.

Yes, its a AMD optimized game. You'd need more tests and benchmarks to get a clearer picture. 1440p, 5700xt, turing GPUs, valhalla....
Lets talk Ampere, RDNA2, 4k, Cp2077 and ray tracing. Its almost 2021 and next generation hardware is here.

lets just assume that its atleast what a 5700XT does and then some. RDNA2 gpus most likely make for better comparisons.

If theres something custom that we wont know by looking at a current gen game as a benchmark, compared to 2018 GPUs.

At this point in time, does it really matter for you? The PS5 is ATM performing better then the XSX (due to whatever reason) in just about every game. Seeing it does so, it seems its reaching its 'full potentional' as it performs quite well and 4k60 isnt a problem.
PC gpus basically dont reach their full potentional due to less optimization.

Yes, its a AMD optimized game. You'd need more tests and benchmarks to get a clearer picture. 1440p, 5700xt, turing GPUs, valhalla....
Lets talk Ampere, RDNA2, 4k, Cp2077 and ray tracing. Its almost 2021 and next generation hardware is here.

Again what interest is not the comparison with a Turing GPU itself but more with the 5700XT. ;) no 6700 XT doesn't interest me as much because there is infinity cache, not present on PS5 if the estimated die size is correct. And it will help to know if the PS5 performance against XSX is normal or not. And I don't care of the performance against the XSX, if the console was 20% more performant than PS5 like on Tflops and bandwidth it would be ok for me. I would not buy an Xbox Series X because of this. ;)

Games first and I don't play mp games, my favorite games are on Playstation because of this.

EDIT: If it performs better than a 5700XT it adds credibility to what Red Gaming tech was saying because here the PS5 would perfom better than a GPU with the same amount of bandwidth memory.

My real interest is to know what Sony have done or not done with the APU.

Its always going to perform better then a 5700XT, even if BW would be a slight problem. Its RNDA2 vs 1, and if TF matters, its higher rated even there and faster clocked. Red gaming tech..... just wait and see what DF has to say about the PS5 GPU.

I doubt it. Zen 3 which also has a (much larger) unified L3 still benefits from increased RAM speeds all the way up to DDR4-4000 (64GB/s). So it stands to reason that the CPU in PS5 which will be pushed harder will be able to consume at least that much bandwidth:

https://www.techspot.com/article/2140-ryzen-5000-memory-performance/

My first thought was that unified L3 represented better cache latency between L3 sectors although I don't know if it necessarily helps console titles that can more directly target each core and associated cache. I guess it makes more difference for workloads that fill up the L3 although even then they still have to share with other cores. Being an APU, perhaps they felt it was good to have for latency-sensitive operations.

Not sure.

My first thought was that unified L3 represented better cache latency between L3 sectors although I don't know if it necessarily helps console titles that can more directly target each core and associated cache. I guess it makes more difference for workloads that fill up the L3 although even then they still have to share with other cores. Being an APU, perhaps they felt it was good to have for latency-sensitive operations.

Not sure.

Unified cache is important. Jason Gregory of Naughty Dog complains about the latency between CCX in Jaguar in this presentation.

Unified cache is important. Jason Gregory of Naughty Dog complains about the latency between CCX in Jaguar in this presentation.

Thanks, that's something wanted to watch but forgot about.

What I will say is that due to the very weak performance of the jaguar cores, probably have to spread jobs/fibers across as many cores as possible regardless where the core is located.
Where may not be fighting it as much going forward for the imidiate to mid term.

This game doesn't have a DX11 mode. Seems like DX11 is not far from being be a dead API for multiplatform games at this point.
Nope it has a DX11 path. And it is more stable than DX12.

https://techgage.com/article/borderlands-3-graphics-card-benchmarking/

DX12 is the future and this is how the API for the future title.
It is, but when it is implemented right and in a way that doesn't harm performance.

I expect the PS5 to run at 2070 Super or maybe a bit under because of the memory bandwidth.
We shall see, IMHO I expect it to be just above the 2070.

Nope it has a DX11 path. And it is more stable than DX12.

https://techgage.com/article/borderlands-3-graphics-card-benchmarking/

It is, but when it is implemented right and in a way that doesn't harm performance.

This is expected. The lower level apis (vulkan, dx12, metal i suppose) are slower than older apis if used naively, but much (much) faster and more flexible when built around. This has been the case since they started coming out -- nobody is gonna get better dx11 performance except on legacy code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back