Star Wars Squadrons [PC]

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
I bought this on sale today and got it up and running on the HP Reverb. I also got my ancient CH Flightstick Pro USB working with it after some figuring out button bindings. Heh. Pretty sweet!

It's a bit of a pain in the ass to use the keyboard, joystick and VR at the same time though. It's going to take awhile to really get the control mapping nailed down. I suppose a gamepad would be easier. I noticed the game has auto-aiming so a gamepad's stick accuracy might be sufficient.

I did notice that it seems to have a bit of a jitter to the visuals when I am turning. I read the game might have some quirks with respect to refresh rates but it's not too bad.

Anyone else play this on PC?

I have it as well my idea is to learn the controls on a monitor then when ive learned them switch to playing in vr, allthough I also have a throttle so I may be able to get away with not touching the keyboard.

I have it as well my idea is to learn the controls on a monitor then when ive learned them switch to playing in vr, allthough I also have a throttle so I may be able to get away with not touching the keyboard.
Yeah I just have the Flightstick Pro. It has the wheel throttle which works fine. I had to map roll to the left/right hat buttons because the game bizarrely doesn't have a hold-to-roll button like every old space game had. I was going to use the hat for power management but those dreams shattered.

Do you have another joystick (any kind) being a new game it should accept 2 sticks you can so a 2 stick setup like a lot of people are doing in Elite Dangerous

Do you have another joystick (any kind) being a new game it should accept 2 sticks you can so a 2 stick setup like a lot of people are doing in Elite Dangerous
Just my even older gameport-based CH Flightstick. :) I liked the CH Flightsticks because they are good for lefties.

Lots of gamepads though. I might just try playing that way. Or maybe trying to use that for rolling / extra buttons.

Gamepad works really well with it. Probably because the game is of course designed for the modern era. All of the controls are designed to work with what a gamepad offers.

I love all the references to to X-Wing, TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance.

Last edited:
I have it working buttery smooth now. I'm not exactly sure the reasons, but I updated my video drivers which were months out of date, I reset the video settings in-game, I set SteamVR to 100% resolution instead of "auto", and I found that the game's "auto" VR detail setting is not very good at preventing frame rate drops. My 1080 Ti seems ok with the "medium" preset at the Reverb resolution.

Now I just need to recover from all that rolling and spinning of the dogfighting. Heh.

From the nvidia drivers release thread
I think the problem was a combination of things. First, I had vsync enabled in the game and with VR mode I think that is not what you want. It doesn't appear to control VR "vsync" but it might be limiting rendering to monitor 60Hz. I also think SteamVR was running >100% resolution when set to auto. That would go well beyond 4K rendering. I've actually run into this before but I had reset everything and it was on auto again.

And certainly having a driver that's not from before the game's release is a good thing.

Last edited:
I started playing this on my Lenovo Explorer.

It's friggin' awesome to pilot an X-Wing, A-Wing, Tie-Fighter, etc. in VR.The level of immersion is excellent and I haven't felt nauseated playing this game. I hope this spans many sequels, letting us pilot ships from the Old Republic, Clone Wars, etc.
Plus, I got to see Hera Syndulla from Rebels in VR!

But one thing that is made obvious here is how much we need higher resolution panels in our headsets. My 1440*1440-per-eye WMR headset isn't even that bad in that department when compared to others, but when lookig at ships in the distance everything becomes way too pixelated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some flight sims have an option (as a pilot aid on lower realism settings) to render distant planes larger than they should be to make spotting them easier.

But one thing that is made obvious here is how much we need higher resolution panels in our headsets. My 1440*440-per-eye WMR headset isn't even that bad in that department when compared to others, but when lookig at ships in the distance everything becomes way too pixelated.
Yeah even the Reverb resolution isn't so hot (nor a good enough contrast ratio for space). The game does respond to the SteamVR resolution setting so you could try oversampling it.

Yeah even the Reverb resolution isn't so hot (nor a good enough contrast ratio for space). The game does respond to the SteamVR resolution setting so you could try oversampling it.
I did. Bad idea on my Vega 64..

I wonder how this would play on one of those Pimax 8K and a very fast raster card like the 6900XT or the RTX3090.

I did. Bad idea on my Vega 64..

I wonder how this would play on one of those Pimax 8K and a very fast raster card like the 6900XT or the RTX3090.
It took me awhile to figure out settings to get my 1080 Ti to maintain the 90 fps necessary. Having the game and Steam on auto everything wasn't the answer. I hope something like foveated rendering comes along eventually so we can get more resolution but not need some future $2000 GPU for it.

Back