All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2020 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tuna how did you manage to pre-order a console that Sony hadn't officially annouced, priced or even open pre-orders on, four months before that point? Because I suspect the answer to that is possibly the root cause of your bleak upcoming Christmas!

The store I pre-ordered had a placeholder price and told people to pre-order early if they wanted the system. I was to late I guess....

Spiderman is a huge IP. If it weren't for RDJ films it would be, by far, the most important character of the MCU (now it is).

That is quite impressive. But.. it's Spider-Man!!!

When they gave a sales update of Ghost of Tsushima, they gave a Sales update for full God of War franchise and it seems God of War is between 15 millions and 20 millions sales too.

TLOU2 will probably surpass 10 millions very fast too. And I expect Ghost of Tsushima will be a 10+ million games. The sales are better than HZD sales.

When they gave a sales update of Ghost of Tsushima, they gave a Sales update for full God of War franchise and it seems God of War is between 15 millions and 20 millions sales too.

TLOU2 will probably surpass 10 millions very fast too. And I expect Ghost of Tsushima will be a 10+ million games. The sales are better than HZD sales.
TLOU2 is currently underperforming the expectations.
According to gamestat TLOU1 added more players than TLOU2 in the past month!

@chris1515 always expected this, games for al gamers are going to have a wider appeal because they are for all ages. Plus.. IT'S SPIDER-MAN!

TLOU2 is currently underperforming the expectations. According to gamestat TLOU1 added more players than TLOU2 in the past month!
That's a bold statement. Can you tell us your source what what Sony's sales expectations were for TLoU Part II? Also, you may have missed it but The Last of Us Remastered was super cheap in Sony's Halloween sale last month. That may have something to do with the surge in trophies. :yep2:

That's a bold statement. Can you tell us your source what what Sony's sales expectations were for TLoU Part II? Also, you may have missed it but The Last of Us Remastered was super cheap in Sony's Halloween sale last month. That may have something to do with the surge in trophies. :yep2:
https://gamstat.com/games/
Most accurate site that tracks games' popularity trends on Playstation
TLOU1 is consistently above TLOU2 for more than 1 month
GoT is catching up with TLOU2, which is very impressive for a new IP in game that is considered not west oriented

https://gamstat.com/games/
Most accurate site that tracks games' popularity trends on Playstation
TLOU1 is consistently above TLOU2 for more than 1 month

Remember that TLoU and TLoU:R has been sold across two platforms, been given away as PS+ freebie (2019), is frequently in sales and has had bit of blip of resurgence in popularity hence how the patch minimising load times was picked up. It was almost universally praised. I am not surprised it's more popular, while the fundamental mechanics in TLoU Part II are better, the original is the better game for me. I've replayed it a lot, almost every year since released. I'll never do that with TLoU Part II.

GoT is catching up with TLOU2, which is very impressive for a new IP in game that is considered not west oriented

This does not surprise me in the slightest. It may be just another third-person action combat game but GoT's theme is fairly niche whereas post-apocalyptic survival horror is definitely well-trodden and perhaps a bit tired - and that's ignoring the manufactured 'controversy' regarding characters and story from those more delicate gamers, the poor things. ;)

TLOU2 is currently underperforming the expectations.
According to gamestat TLOU1 added more players than TLOU2 in the past month!

I continue to expect TLOU 2 to sold 10 millions faster than Ghost of Tsushima. TLOU2 sold 4 millions in three days, Ghost of Tsushima 5 millions in 4 months....

PS5 sold 43,000 units in its first week in Spain, Xbox Series X / S 14,000

Today we bring you some very special sales figures in Spain , those of the new Microsoft and Sony consoles , which debuted on November 10 and 19. Xbox Series X / S sold 14,100 units in its first week on sale in our country, adding the two models, and PlayStation 5 43,000 units , also adding the normal and digital models. As you know, both in the case of PS5 and Series X both are completely sold out , so they sold their entire launch stock. A second batch of consoles will arrive from PS5 around December 15, although they are all reserved and cannot be purchased more at the moment, and Xbox Series X exactly when there will be more, although more units are expected to arrive in January. Xbox Series S did have some units in stores, although at the moment it is also difficult to find. We are going to analyze all this sales data in detail.

A couple of days ago Sony said that PS5 had had the best launch in the history of PlayStation , and in our country the same has also happened, although with a curious nuance as we will now explain. 43,000 PlayStation 5 were sold in its first week , of which 38,000 are the normal model , the one with a disc player and costs 500 euros, and 5,000 of the digital model , which costs 400 euros and does not have a disc player. Thus, we can with a huge difference that the normal model with a disc player is the predominant one, with digital having a much smaller market share, something that we will see if it changes as the generation advances.

Prior Launch Figures...
  • PS2: 40,000 units (November 24, 2000)
  • PS3: 35,000 units (March 23, 2007)
  • PS4: 38,000 units (November 29, 2013)
  • Xbox 360: 14,900 units (December 2, 2005)
  • Xbox One: 15,000 units (November 22, 2013)
As I stated before...
This new-generation will be a repeat of the last. Those invested in the PlayStation ecosystem will purchase PS5, and those invested in the XBOX ecosystem will purchase XBSX/S. And those multiplatform holders will basically repeat their choices as well. Console gamers are far to entrenched with their particular console of choice this time around.

I was saying this back in January 2019! And in April 2019 I said:

I voiced the same concern in January, speculating that Microsoft were forcing Sony's hand with backwards compatibility and if Sony responded it would make Microsoft's job that much harder next gen. When a new generation meant everybody's game library started over, console makers were on even footing. And this is speaking as somebody who doesn't care about achievements/trophies, some people are as wedded to that stuff as the games themselves.​

Ironically, I think Microsoft's multi-generational commitment to b/c influenced Sony to take note which makes future generations built on Sony outselling Xbox that much harder for Microsoft to move forward unless they they could tap into new markets where gamers were not already invested in a console (particularly a Sony) library.

Would you like to subscribe to my newsletter and Patreon? :mrgreen:

I was saying this back in January 2019! And in April 2019 I said:

I voiced the same concern in January, speculating that Microsoft were forcing Sony's hand with backwards compatibility and if Sony responded it would make Microsoft's job that much harder next gen. When a new generation meant everybody's game library started over, console makers were on even footing. And this is speaking as somebody who doesn't care about achievements/trophies, some people are as wedded to that stuff as the games themselves.​

Ironically, I think Microsoft's multi-generational commitment to b/c influenced Sony to take note which makes future generations built on Sony outselling Xbox that much harder for Microsoft to move forward unless they they could tap into new markets where gamers were not already invested in a console (particularly a Sony) library.

Would you like to subscribe to my newsletter and Patreon? :mrgreen:

LOL. Yeah, I figured when Sony officially announced BC for PS5 that their ecosystem just became much stronger and locking those [already] entrenched gamers further in.

I still see BC as more of an enabler for having both consoles or switching since you have huge catalog of games at your ready.

I still see BC as more of an enabler for having both consoles or switching since you have huge catalog of games at your ready.

How do you see the future of console sales? Do you see the same worldwide split, or greater growth for one (or both)?

It might be pessimism, but I don't see much changing this generation as far as hardware splits, or users jumping from one console to another, not like the great migration of PS2 users over to Xbox360.

How do you see the future of console sales? Do you see the same worldwide split, or greater growth for one (or both)?

It might be pessimism, but I don't see much changing this generation as far as hardware splits, or users jumping from one console to another, not like the great migration of PS2 users over to Xbox360.
From my perspective, if you hold all the pieces already, you're likely to go down than you are to hold still or go up. Price is still a major factor for gaming and right now we're still catering to the hardcore group.

Easy math: If LTE sales for PS4 was 100M, selling 2M at launch is still just 2% of total sales. It's not a lot of the total group, but probably represents the wealthiest of your population.

PS5 selling more this gen is an incredibly safe bet to make (especially in a country like Spain), however quoting figures that show both selling out their entire inventory and seemingly similar numbers as previous launches is a flawed proof for your statement. The figures only show that both sold everything they got and Sony got more to sell. Basically you can't extrapolate anything from these figures, other than things like supplying enough consoles for a WW launch is very challenging and neither managed to do that.

PS3 selling almost as much as the other Playstations at launch with it's higher launch price would make one think, it would have done a lot better than what it did in the end. Same for the Xbox One vs 360, just an example how supply limited skenario basically means nothing.

The figures to look at going forwards are how the PS5 sell vs PS4 and how Series's will fare against One. Your claim is that those sales ratios will remain the same as how they were past gen. Personally I think PS5 will be strong, but Series's will outdo Xbox One with a higher percentage increase in sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back