Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
How did Troy Baker not get his PS5 for a week? I thought he lived in LA? You would have thought that somebody at Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch could have hooked him up. :???:

How did Troy Baker not get his PS5 for a week? I thought he lived in LA? You would have thought that somebody at Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch could have hooked him up. :???:
Yeah it's weird but maybe he was away doing his voice acting job? :)

I believe he is the most sort after English voice actor at this point in time.

I believe he is the most sort after English voice actor at this point in time.
I think that's Laura Bailey by a long, long shot! She's a bit of a legend in the VA industry and Troy Bakers speaks of her highly in the 6,000 podcasts he records a week. :LOL:

I think that's Laura Bailey by a long, long shot! She's a bit of a legend in the VA industry and Troy Bakers speaks of her highly in the 6,000 podcasts he records a week. :LOL:

I think he meant for games.

It is a criminal offence not to speak highly of Laura Bailey.

I was obviously talking about male voice actor since I was talking about him.
It wasn't obvious to me - "actor" is universal. But you might want to look up another VA that Troy Baker talks about a lot: Nolan North. Like Laura Bailey, he is squeezing tons of games between tons of TV hence ever greater demand.

So.. time to finally dip my toe into Miles Morales as I'm taking a day out for assassinating the English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I think I'm really close to finishing the game, so here are some of my thoughts on it:

Graphics (I'm playing with the RT+30FPS mode):
Compared to the 2018 game running on the PS4 Pro, I really don't think it's a generational improvement. It's essentially the same looks plus raytracing, which TBH at the moment doesn't seem to bring enough of a wow factor for me to care all that much.
Sure, I'll stick to playing the game at 30FPS + RT because I'm really such an unapologetic IQ bitch and I'll choose the newer/shinier effects over framerate any day, but when trying to be objective over what would be the better experience for most people, I think that would probably be 60FPS with SSR and SSAO.

With VRR / HDMI 2.1 becoming a thing, I'm hoping Sony will eventually release and patch all their games to support VRR + unlocked framerate, so we can always get the best visuals and performance the system can output at any moment, without having this static choice of one or the other. I think that would help immensely in this game (and most games, really).

Gameplay
I think gameplay is at the same time very similar and completely different from the 2018 Spider Man. Traversing through NYC and getting into the action sequences is mostly the same experience as the original title. There are new powers that Miles has (that makes him bit overpowered compared to Peter Parker IMO, since taking out entire warehouses with invisibility is now a walk in the park), but it's essentially the same game.

What completely changes the experience is the fast travel being actually fast.
With the 2018 Spider Man if we wanted to fast travel IIRC we'd need to go to a metro station, enter the station, choose the exit station, and look at a >30 second loading screen until we came out on the other end. I remember I'd always need to think whether or not getting into the metro was going to actually save me some time, and I would often just sling my way towards most objectives. And while slinging webs is great, after 8, 10, 12 hours of gameplay it can get really tedious if we just want to hit the waypoint to progress with the story.
With Miles Morales, at any time we can just bring up the map, choose any of the metro stations and within 2-3 seconds we're 150m away from our objective. With just this change we don't need to make intricate travel plans to see how we can cover the most sidequests through the shortest path. We can still traverse the city through web slinging, but only if we feel like it, and this way we're spending >95% of the gameplay time doing only what we want to do and not what the game's/console's limits require us to do.
It's fantastic, and TBH this is really spoiling me for other experiences when going back to the PC or playing PS4 titles through BC. Same with Astro's Playroom, as the instantaneousness of everything is making me get bored of loading screens really fast.

Story
Meh.. I can just go so far without spoiling but it's not a bad story nor an especially great one either.
In general, I think I just wish there was more to Miles Morales' identity other than just being the "Black Spider Man" with the "Black Friends" (+1 Asian) and "Black Frenemies" and "Token Trump-alike Capitalist Villain". By the time I'm talking to the 53rd black police officer, helping the 27th black lady from muggers and assisting the 42nd black first responder, I'm left wondering where all the white people that live in New York go. Perhaps they all followed Peter Parker on vacation IDK.
Sure representation of minorities is great, but this seems a bit of an overshoot to me.

So I just noticed that I had 2 Miles Morales installed. The ps5 one and the PS4 one. No idea what on earth that would happen but I’m happy I got a good 50GB of data back from my SSD.

So I just noticed that I had 2 Miles Morales installed. The ps5 one and the PS4 one. No idea what on earth that would happen but I’m happy I got a good 50GB of data back from my SSD.

yeah these are two separate games, had put my MM PS4 on external HDD to play on ps5 thinking it would just update to PS5 version, but no, i had to re download it completely for PS5.
And PS5 version is 8gb less.

yeah these are two separate games, had put my MM PS4 on external HDD to play on ps5 thinking it would just update to PS5 version, but no, i had to re download it completely for PS5.
And PS5 version is 8gb less.

But... why would I want the PS4 and the PS5 version on my PS5? Mysteries of launch weirdness?

yeah these are two separate games, had put my MM PS4 on external HDD to play on ps5 thinking it would just update to PS5 version, but no, i had to re download it completely for PS5. And PS5 version is 8gb less.

Apart from perhaps the audio, the PS5 version will share almost no assets in common with the PS4 version. The textures are all higher-resolution and packed with oodle/kraken, the geometry will include BVH maps and all of the files will be organised differently for faster NVMe-loading which is why the PS5 games loads in seconds and the PS4 version (even on PS5) loads much, much slower.

But... why would I want the PS4 and the PS5 version on my PS5? Mysteries of launch weirdness?

I've read this a lot, two version of a game being installed. Sony really need to tweak their UI (or installed logic) so that rather than download both versions, you get prompted to download only one. For what its work I installed MM from disc and just got the PS5 version, whereas I assume you bought the PS4 version digitally - which includes the PS5 version as a free upgrade?

I've read this a lot, two version of a game being installed. Sony really need to tweak their UI (or installed logic) so that rather than download both versions, you get prompted to download only one. For what its work I installed MM from disc and just got the PS5 version, whereas I assume you bought the PS4 version digitally - which includes the PS5 version as a free upgrade?

I literally just went on the psn store on my PS5 and bought the game, didn’t even see anything about PS4 or PS5 version. Should be straightforward really.

Back