Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its nowhere near Ultra actually. Generally jump from high to ultra is small visual effect but big on performance.

True, like other titles that are both ps5 and pc, the ps5 versions have nowhere near the pc's max settings, or even '4k' as in native.
That chart says 4k epic quality.

I have to say this generation is weird, there is almost no trully great next gen titles that shows power of nextgen systems ( at least ps5 have Demon Souls), and yet its impossible to buy either ps5 or XSX. The back compat titles and cross gen titles with promised huge perf boost comes with mixed results, some works better on XSX some on ps5 (ps5 having edge here). Its feels almost like pc upgarde. Weird

DS doesnt look that far ahead of say Godfall or what weve seen from 2077 for example, atleast not technically. Of what i have seen so far, i have not played Godfall yet, but i will asap on pc.
Godfall has ray tracing on AMD gpus aswell, kinda amazing. Il have to wait for RT since im on a NV GPU though.
Godfall on PS5 doesnt have RT, as far i could find.

https://wccftech.com/godfall-ray-tr...but-only-on-amd-gpus-nvidia-getting-it-later/

Last edited:
don't know console settings but frames in 4k mode looks quite good, to comparison
performance-3840-2160.png
Indeed. An average of about 40fps at native 4K. It would be interesting to know the exact settings. But he was impressed by the sheer amount of alpha effects in the virtually locked 60fps mode during gameplay.

There's no reason to beat around the bush. Coming in as an underdog with no 1st party title on offer, Xbox team needs to be knee deep at every studio possible to make sure their platform is well represented in head to heads.

This is a borderline disaster. You can spend an entire generation unwinding early impressions. If CP2077 performs better on the PS5 than the XSX, it's close to being over already.
It would be a disaster if the Stadia version of CP2077 outperforms XSX.

Amazing the influence that DigitalFoundry now have over the industry... and unfortunately, rabid fanboys.
As I understand it; they are contracted by game development companies from time to time to help with finding issues during pre-release.
I think SSM with God of War comes to mind. As well as Crytek and Crysis remastered recently. Though Alex might be able to shed better light on the latter.

Exclusive performance? :runaway:

Seriously, that is not a path no gamer and/or developer should want.

not saying we should be encouraging it, just for Microsoft sake I hope cyberpunk looks at its best on series X or a tumultuous launch will turn into a disastrous one

A total oversight , this is the sort of thing you need physical testers for, automated testing and telemetry won't help, well unless you notice the unexpectedly low frame times ;)

David mentioned this a little in the interview he did with Xbox On. Everyone working from home made 120,Hz very hard as hardly anyone has a TV with this even now and early on they did not exist. He mentioned they got an early firmware patch to enable it on one TV to aid testing.

David also mentioned how they were doing per system configuration, eventually they decided that was not sustainable. I suspect the S might be the outlier and somehow Series X got thoes settings instead of the full next gen.

David also stated how easy VRR is on Xbox and how they can actually test to see if it's active. If it is they could choose to uncap frame rate or even lower resolution drop aggression or other settings and let the console live on the brink knowing VRR will keep it clean. Without it they would want to keep a tighter control of the workload. I added some ideas / examples but it does seem like it could very much be used to really push the hardware 100% with confidence of a good user experience.

David also stated how easy VRR is on Xbox and how they can actually test to see if it's active. If it is they could choose to uncap frame rate or even lower resolution drop aggression or other settings and let the console live on the brink knowing VRR will keep it clean. Without it they would want to keep a tighter control of the workload. I added some ideas / examples but it does seem like it could very much be used to really push the hardware 100% with confidence of a good user experience.
This is how I hoped VRR would be used.
So nice to hear it, if they actually follow through with it.

In the end, whether it's due to configuration, someone putting an S notepad, the fact of the matter is it keeps happening on XSX|S side not only that, but on games they have marketing deals with.
So if that's the case then, I still blame MS and their tools. As it should have a central configuration tool for the profiles.

Poorly developed tools - yes, that’s exactly half baked.

Most people don’t have a VRR compatible TV so most will notice the tearing.

Most people don't have 120 Hz TVs either, so they won't notice tearing. By what most said earlier, this is niche of niche of niche.

Most will be running 60 Hz modes.

Poorly developed tools - yes, that’s exactly half baked.

Most people don’t have a VRR compatible TV so most will notice the tearing.

The original comment was half baked games, nlt tools.

Most people do not even have 120hz tvs either.
The point was that the games are not half baked, its not like tve dev said. Crap its friday we ship wathever is there now, last one to the pub is a donkey.

The original comment was half baked games, nlt tools.

Most people do not even have 120hz tvs either.
The point was that the games are not half baked, its not like tve dev said. Crap its friday we ship wathever is there now, last one to the pub is a donkey.
A substantial amount more people have 120hz capable TVs than VRR capable TVs...so most people (who can play the game at 120hz) will notice the tearing.

The games being half baked, well let’s put it another way - if the tools are fixed will the games magically work better? That’s a genuine question. I’m not accusing devs of being lazy, but if this was an exclusive game I would imagine the devs would wait until the tools were ready allowing the game to be released in a state as expected rather than performing below expectations.

Last edited:
A substantial amount more people have 120hz capable TVs than VRR capable TVs...so most people (who can play the game at 120hz) will notice the tearing.

The games being half baked, well let’s put it another way - if the tools are fixed will the games magically work better? That’s a genuine question. I’m not accusing devs of being lazy, but if this was an exclusive game I would imagine the devs would wait until the tools were ready allowing the game to be released in a state as expected rather than performing below expectations.

For the sake of the argument I will accept that there are many capable 120Hz tvs in peoples homes. (But I do actually disagree there is a significant amount out there :) )
And its a bigger chance that an XSX owner owns one, but that is not the same as everybody will notice the tears, which I doubt very much.

If the tradeoff was wait 6-12 months before releasing and that meansreleasing after Sony, I think tearing at 120Hz is something MS said ok to.

But I sincerely doubt this is more than a storm in a teacup outside console warriors, enthusiasts and tech people if even that.
the hyperbole is seriously out of proportion for the issues at hand.

DF videos are great to watch and its good feedback for developers, but outside certain circles its not registering. Heck most people do not even know there was a console launch, before it launched and the headlines was that they where sold out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back