Nvidia shows signs in [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grabbed an Asus 3070 Dual OC from ebuyer, a lesser known retailer that is mostly used by small and medium companies to buy equipment of. They seem to be getting some stock everyday from a month after RTX3080 release. They don't do queues though, so potential buyers better keep refreshing the page. That's how I got mine.

Additionally, it seems that German shops have frequent supply, judging by several OCUK customers that cancelled their order and got them from Germany.

They currently have Zotac RTX3090 available and in stock! I also scored my RX6800 today from them, but that needed to be ordered via phone to verify authenticity of purchase and only 1 card per account. They selling it right, to end users and not BOTs.

Don't ask me where I got these numbers, but this is what happened: Ampere stock at launch was around 30% higher than Turing. But demand was around 10 times higher than expected. Bad management from nvidia who played safe when everybody wanted to grab these cards, bots included. Then when nvidia realized their mistake, it was too late, especially when another problem came to the table, the shortage and ultra long lead time of BASF. Game over, NVIDA can't catch up demand until next quarter...
That being said, they are still ramping up and Ampere silicon is shipping weekly, but priority to OEMs (you can buy a system from HP, Maingear, Origin with an Ampere card)

Don't ask me where I got these numbers, but this is what happened: Ampere stock at launch was around 30% higher than Turing. But demand was around 10 times higher than expected. Bad management from nvidia who played safe when everybody wanted to grab these cards, bots included. Then when nvidia realized their mistake, it was too late, especially when another problem came to the table, the shortage and ultra long lead time of BASF. Game over, NVIDA can't catch up demand until next quarter...
That being said, they are still ramping up and Ampere silicon is shipping weekly, but priority to OEMs (you can buy a system from HP, Maingear, Origin with an Ampere card)
The actual shipments don't really seem to support this. I mean 900 cards in two months to a major retailer, who ordered over 9300 cards, serving all nordic countries, germany, austria and poland? I just wish more retailers would be as transparent on the situation and tell how many they've gotten and shipped.

The actual shipments don't really seem to support this. I mean 900 cards in two months to a major retailer, who ordered over 9300 cards, serving all nordic countries, germany, austria and poland? I just wish more retailers would be as transparent on the situation and tell how many they've gotten and shipped.
You can't base your opinion in one single retailer when only in USA they are thousand of them that got RTX30. You don't know the history of this retailer with NVIDIA and the politics behind the scene. For example, NVIDIA doesn't want shops to publish shipment numbers and this shop goes obviously against NVIDIA will. I wont be surprised that NVIDIA blacklist this shop on purpose for not following their rules...

You don't know the history of this retailer with NVIDIA and the politics behind the scene. For example, NVIDIA doesn't want shops to publish shipment numbers and this shop goes obviously against NVIDIA will. I wont be surprised that NVIDIA blacklist this shop on purpose for not following their rules...
Proshop is included in the "where to buy" list of retailers on official RTX 30 cards product pages on Nvidia.com for Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Norway. So probably not blacklisted.

Proshop is included in the "where to buy" list of retailers on official RTX 30 cards product pages on Nvidia.com for Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Norway. So probably not blacklisted.
you obviously don't understand politics ;)

You can't base your opinion in one single retailer when only in USA they are thousand of them that got RTX30. You don't know the history of this retailer with NVIDIA and the politics behind the scene. For example, NVIDIA doesn't want shops to publish shipment numbers and this shop goes obviously against NVIDIA will. I wont be surprised that NVIDIA blacklist this shop on purpose for not following their rules...

And to add to that, the shipments weren't any better before they listed those stats, they released their numbers several weeks after the launch.

edit:
Just as a sidenote, one of the biggest if not biggest Finnish-only shop Jimm's PC-Store still hasn't even gotten enough cards to go through RTX 3080 launch day orders. Here's their stats from little less than a week ago, they list current expected waiting times based on order date
Tilaus xx.x = Order date (lokakuu = october)
vko = week(s)
kk = month(s)
geforce-30-toimitusajat-jimms-20201116.jpg

Last edited:

What’s BASF? That would gel with their griping about supply chain delays.

And do you mean Nvidia screwed up in not anticipating demand or in the handling of the bot situation? Definitely the latter but I don’t know how they could have predicted the demand.

What’s BASF? That would gel with their griping about supply chain delays.

And do you mean Nvidia screwed up in not anticipating demand or in the handling of the bot situation? Definitely the latter but I don’t know how they could have predicted the demand.
Sorry its ABF shortage not BASF. Taiwanese substrate manufacturer KINSUS disclosed in a recent earnings call that they received a large order from NVidia of Ajinomoto Build-up Film (ABF) substrate. ABF substrate supply shortages are expected to last until the end of the year.

Then I was talking about anticipating demand when wafer orders have been placed at the beginning of the pandemic. Nobody was thinking in April that covid-19 wont even reach its peak in October !!!

Well they would have had to predict the staying power of covid and also predict the impact of covid on demand for pc hardware. Pretty much impossible I think.

Let's say that someone has managed to predict this.
Where will they get 4-8x the production capacity to mitigate the issue?
Which factory is willing to expand its manufacturing capacity 4-8x knowing full well that it won't be needed once the covid crisis will pass?
Isn't it clear already that the issue is affecting the whole consumer and home entertainment electronics industry?
There is not much to be done with this but to hang tight till people will be able to not sit at home 100% of the time again.

Plus right now a lot of new stuff are released at the same time...
Yeah those with limited funds possibly deciding to buy a console over a new GPU... and not being able to get either...

That's difficult to believe number, but maybe it's real as the money nvidia made is real. Assuming nvidia got 1000$ per gpu that would mean miners got 175000 cards. I doubt nvidia got anywhere close 1000$ per gpu sold. Did nvidia really produce that many cards + whatever consumers bought? Or are miners so efficient that this whole no cards anywhere is caused by miners being able to snatch gpu's before consumers?

The $175m from miners is the analyst’s speculation. The article doesn’t say how he came up with it.

The only numbers that Nvidia shared are that “gaming revenue climbed 37% year-on-year to $2.27 billion”.

Maybe Nvidia is selling raw Ampere chips directly to miners because they can’t make enough boards anyway due to supply chain bottlenecks.

NVIDIA: Ampere RTX 30 Stock Issues Is not only based on GPU shortages
Nvidia's CFO Colette Kress was present at a technology conference hosted by Swiss financial services company Credit Suisse; she spoke about the ongoing stock shortages. Nvidia understands that the RTX 3000 cards are inadequately available and shared a few words on it.

NVIDIA partly blames what we already expected, wafer shortages at chip vendor Samsung; Kress answers that there are also inadequate substrates and other components available. It would consequently not be enough to reserve further production capacity with Samsung in the short term. Somewhat weird as these orders are made long in advance.

Kress reiterates that it will likely be several months before the amount of stock is sufficient to meet demand. While Nvidia does not want to make any concrete promises, it is observing improvements daily. Extra information would be released before the end of the year.
NVIDIA: Ampere RTX 30 Stock Issues Is not only based on GPU shortages (guru3d.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back