Dirt 5 [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

For me the driving model and controls, and the graphics are the two most important aspect of s racing game, though handling still comes first. The cars need to look and feel great, the track needs to look and feel great. Lighting counts for a lot. I loved GT, loved Driveclub, loved Motorstorm, loved Ubisoft’s F1 game on PC, and they all combined great graphics with great handling.

I loved GT, loved Driveclub, loved Motorstorm, loved Ubisoft’s F1 game on PC, and they all combined great graphics with great handling.

Motorstorm his the sweet spot of feeling fully in control, but knowing that it could go pear-shaped really quickly. I'm hoping DIRT 5 is the same, I'm only buying it for the off-road stuff, I'm not interest in driving on asphalt. I want mud. And DIRT! :yes:

Raise your hand if you play racing games & stop the action long enough to look at the scenery along the road? Anyone?
I totally do that in Gran Turismo Sport, usually because it looks good but most recently because I couldn't tell if there were tents or really unfortunate trees on a hillside on the outside of a turn in front of me. They were unfortunately placed/rotated (relative to the sun) trees. Can't remember the track off the top of my head. But this Dirt 5 controversy definitely has me looking for HQ GTS vids to recalibrate my expectations of Dirt 5.

Super GT put out an entertaining but presumably quickly made Dirt 5 multiplayer review on a PS4 / Pro. It's more about the MP experience (such as it is this early in the launch) than graphics, but I did note the decidedly not round headlights during the race start glamour shots and the strange stippling (for lack of a better word) of the reflections in the paint in the car select screen.

I can't remember if I posted in this thread or the Cherno reaction thread, but Gamersyde posted some HQ Dirt 5 captures for the "back, and to the left" devotees among us. The last batch were on XSX in both quality and resolution modes. I took a look at the quality one. It was okay. A lot fo the track was in full shadow.

Reviews continue to refute this opinion. many reviews state the game impresses visually. It's a game with a lot of things happening on the track which most other racers don't have. If that is where the focus is, instead of the environment, then that is where they put the budget. The game has to make budget for environmental/track changes. That's what they decided was the priority. You can harp on and on about outside track details but comparing it to other racers, sans 30fps racers, you're going to see the same thing likely worse.

It is typical of us to cherry pick the worst and to cherry pick the best and creating a dialog that the whole game looks like either the worst or the best. It's really just a matter of ultimately playing the game and deciding as a whole how the graphics are. We've done this song and dance a million times for a million games. Ranging from AF issues to puddle gate. And now we're at boxy trapezoid hills. All games make concessions in places they are hoping you aren't looking.

I'm' not going to say it isn't disappointing to look at when it's freeze framed in this way, but I hardly think this is a major gripe, considering how much is going on in the game and it's not a gripe that I've seen in reviews yet. There are all sorts of incredibly terrible textures in Drive Club but no one really seems to care because the full presentation is enough to keep you from looking at how bad it is.

Same with FH4, there are some majorly bad areas with bad lighting and shadows. But where most people are driving that's where they put their effort.

Forum warriors look at screenshots. Screenshots aren't always representative of what you see while playing. Heck even video can sometimes be non-representative unless you are watching the video as if you are playing the game.

Alternatively if you generally watch people play games instead of playing games, these things will be more obvious.

Regards,
SB

So I bought it, for PS5, my PS5 is supposed to arrive on the 19th, lets see. I might have gotten the PS4 version when I bought it, no plan to start it before I got a PS5 anyway.

Does not feel like how i remember motorstorm. Its mere onrush, but i only played 4 races yet. Just got one where i did not win on my first attempt.
I'd like to play this before dropping £50-60 quid on it. I'm super particular about racing games which is why I buy so few.

I'd like to play this before dropping £50-60 quid on it. I'm super particular about racing games which is why I buy so few.

As noted above, I have only played a few races, but it feels less chaotic than Motorstorm, less grand crazy jumps etc. Its more a n arcade rally game, not crazy offroad festival that Motorsport was.
i liked onRush, it just got repetetive in away I do not remember Motorstorm became, but its been a while, it might just be nostalgia that fuels all of this.
You do feel some of the linage Driveclub -> onRush -> Dirt 5.

I'll wait to see if they release a demo with one of the tracks. Hopefully an off-road one.

Motorstorm (1&2) and Driveclub have legendary status in my book.

Regarding DC, like John says, It can look as bland as my view outside the window right now. Not every time of day looks like a national geographic documentary. But when the stars align - and they do so very ofter in DC - it look bananas. I still play it today. It hold up 100% (except for overall image quality regarding aliasing).

Fortunately, PS4 emulation is on-going on PC. Driveclub will have its shining day at 4K60 with proper AA.

I'll wait to see if they release a demo with one of the tracks. Hopefully an off-road one.

Its a decent romp, the first 3 races i basically won by floorubg the accelerator and barged my way through. The 4th one, where i stopped, i was not able to wun in 2 tries. But more i think about it, its driveclub rally at the moment.

Took me a bunch of tries to get past race #4, my race #4, since you can pick your own sequence of races.
Then the following ones was easy again and then I got a new one that is a bit challenging. The biggest challenge is to drive well, instead of just flooring it and trying to crash my way through the field :D

Again, might be nostalgia, but Motorstorm had a more crazy aspect to it that was fun, anyway this is a good game. But as I mentioned before its more offroad Driveclub than Motorstorm.

I wish somebody would do another StuntCar Racer, that was fun. :D

I wish somebody would do another StuntCar Racer, that was fun. :D
I'll be driving into Dirt 5 in an hour or so. SCR was amazing, I played this so much on either the C64 or Amiga - it was that long ago I can't remember. So good! :yes:

Oh yes!!! I played the first four Ignition races which are all off road and immediately felt the type of driving controls I love. You feel fully in control even sliding around corners in mud. This is definitely a game I need to invest some time in to learn the tracks. :yes:

Also, absolutely gorgeous game. YouTube compression murders the visuals. :yep2:

Back