Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

What kind of data (and how much) will be loaded during cold-boot? We have seen PS5 is much faster from cold-boot.
From booting to title screen: PS5 9s, xbox sx 31s, and One x 54s.

I guess these logo screen are some tricks to hide the loading time during booting so Onex is very slow.

The verdict is in.

Even the mighty Xbox Series X can't handle the crushing gauntlet that is Saints Row 2's boat ride.

It's not an analysis video and he doesn't measure any framerate, but you can clearly see that the game is running somewhere between 10-20fps on the boat.

Is it possible to deduct from the power draw if the final retail units are in fact currently downclocked?
I looked at all the game comparisons and it appears the PS5 has a solid 20% performance lead in a lot of situations, PS5 should be 20% weaker so the 40% performance delta cannot be attributed to bad MS SDK tools only, I believe the Series X is probably downclocked 30% compared to what was marketed earlier.

I haven't seen 20% objectively anywhere. IE, VG tech's actual framerate statistics numbers. More like maybe 2%...

FPS

Ac Valhalla Series X 59.62 PS5 59.85 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jwAaYU3jbvHABVJuofDMvLEHrVYogojvkri6s29Cru8/edit#gid=0
COD BLOPS Cold War 60 FPS mode: Series X 60.0 PS5 59.99, 120 FPS mode PS5 117.02, Series X 114.93 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CXW167MudfhuhOjscNSc8Vvs6YEuQ21dXDWkjJCpJQk/edit#gid=0

Those are the only two I've seen VgTech do so far. I much prefer objective stats than somebodies opinion or even a real time graph that can be harder to judge by (though all are useful)

DMC 5 from DF Series X runs better FPS 3/4 modes they claim.

@3dilettante Do you know how double Z-rate for depth only passes works? Do they just rejig the colour block to output a depth value (since it's just greyscale) in conjunction with the depth block?

I was wondering if RB+ would mean 3x depth-only rate (doubled colour block + depth block). i.e. 32 RB+ = 96 depth-only writes

Or I could be way off. :p

I haven't seen 20% objectively anywhere. IE, VG tech's actual framerate statistics numbers. More like maybe 2%...

FPS

Ac Valhalla Series X 59.62 PS5 59.85 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jwAaYU3jbvHABVJuofDMvLEHrVYogojvkri6s29Cru8/edit#gid=0
COD BLOPS Cold War 60 FPS mode: Series X 60.0 PS5 59.99, 120 FPS mode PS5 117.02, Series X 114.93 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CXW167MudfhuhOjscNSc8Vvs6YEuQ21dXDWkjJCpJQk/edit#gid=0

Those are the only two I've seen VgTech do so far. I much prefer objective stats than somebodies opinion or even a real time graph that can be harder to judge by (though all are useful)

Watch digital foundry; in a lot of scenes Xbox drops into the low forties while PS5 is locked 60. That is more than 20%, that is nearing 50% advantage for PS5:
40+50% = 60

It can really depend on what the workload is doing, or what portions of the GPU pipeline are the bottleneck.
There could be other factors, like expected workloads that might take advantage of more parallel resources, or features that haven't been heavily utilized yet.
However, I would not count out software or tool issues. There's not really a ceiling to how debilitating dumb software problems can be.

I would hope so, looks like my Series X will be arriving sooner but I want to pick the correct system to start my 3rd party collection as I would rather not spread that around 2 systems.
The Xbox should have better hardware because of the same controller and thus better pure specs I would think. But if it’s downclocked then I’d rather have a series S

Interesting. Seem's Matt and Fafalada are in agreement about when GDK access became available for Dev's. It wasn't June of this year as most believed.

Per Matt (Dev)
They certainly aren’t “brand new,” devs have had them for a year. But they are absolutely newer than many of the PS5’s tools.

Per Fafalada (Dev)
GDK/gamecore was introduced in 2019. It's easily more mature than anything xbox consoles launched with in the past 3 gens. Of course, there's always improvements going to be coming all the way up to launch, but that goes for all consoles, ps5 quite clearly has stuff coming in hot as well.

Matt
Everyone seems really hung up on the tools thing, which is a factor as I said, but the number one reason why these games run so similar is because these systems are incredibly close to each other in hardware performance.

It’s not much more complicated than that. Tools will get better and devs will get more experience with the hardware, but there is never going to be a giant gulf between the SX and the PS5, or even one nearly as large as between the PS4 and One or Pro and X.

Matt
“Shouldn’t be happening” based on...?

The PS5 has a number of hardware advantages over the SX, its better dev environment besides. The problem with the elevation of TF performance as the end all be all of judging hardware is that it doesn’t nearly tell the whole story.

The SX does have a modest pure TF advantage that will be better utilized over time, but it’s not a blowout by any stretch of imagination. When you have systems as close as these two are, with each having their own positives and negatives, the “winner” of these head to heads won’t always be the one with the TF lead.

I expect there to be some PS5 games that match or outperform their SX versions for years to come. Ultimately though games are going to be in general pretty even throughout this gen, and that’s a good thing.

Like I stated before, both of these systems will be quite close in performance. Something all gamers should be happy about.

Last edited:
I'm inclined to believe DF more so then Matt who has been wrong before. Hasnt some GDK documentation leaked in June with quite a few issues being described there (such as RT not fully working, mesh shaders not working at all etc.?)

I have no doubt they had access to dev kits before it, but it is a question if dev tools were mature enough to support added functions. Their June update says they werent (not even in June).

One would think WD and DMC5 would not have problems with delivering RT on launch date if dev tools have been mature enough for a year or so.

Link

8ig3e6l275061.jpg

Last edited:
I'm inclined to believe DF more Matt who has been wrong before so then . Hasnt some GDK documentation leaked in June with quite a few issues being described there (such as RT not fully working, mesh shaders not working at all etc.?)

One would think WD and DMC5 would not have problems with delivering RT on launch date if dev tools have been mature enough for a year or so.

Link

8ig3e6l275061.jpg
It was available before these dates but they are not allowed to submit games for certification before these dates. Dirt 5 developer actually said that.
Matt who has been wrong before
Receipts please

FPS

Biggest gap with PS5 advantage is one particular area in AC:V which is around 15% according to DF.

I would assume a bug/software issue as it’s just o e area- would have to be other areas to have anyone ‘concerned’.

It was available before these dates but they are not allowed to submit games for certification before these dates. Dirt 5 developer actually said that.

Receipts please
I am not saying they werent available before, I am saying June ones still had plenty of issues with performances and functions not working, requiring workaround. And with HW specs we know and DF saying devs have been very unhappy with MS tools I am inclined to believe them. Then there is Schreir who also said back in last Nov that MS has been much less communicative with devs and they are coming in hot, I dont see why I would believe everything is fine and dandy from their side?

Well for one Lockhart. Dont know yet about VRS, but chances are he was wrong about that as well. He is vague enough to not be wrong though, hasnt said anything specific or broke anything so it is easier to coast as legendary insider on resetera.

What human is perfect? DF has been wrong in the past, but I don't hold it against them, nor do I care.
All I am saying is there has been way too much chatter about dev tools coming in late, incomplete and hot not solely by DF, by J Schreirer as well as MS them selves. I think we could see PS5 advantage for long time, perhaps even full gen but it is weird to see XSX games getting RT as update patch on launch date if GDKs were fully there since last year.

No matter the HW differences (which are small enough), there is a little reason for XSX to drop to 70fps when PS5 is holding 120fps in games like DMC5 unless there are some serious issues with either HW design or dev tools. Series X is still top end device with plenty of GPU power, bandwidth and all HW bells and whistles current provided by Nvidia and AMD.

Last edited:
It can really depend on what the workload is doing, or what portions of the GPU pipeline are the bottleneck.
There could be other factors, like expected workloads that might take advantage of more parallel resources, or features that haven't been heavily utilized yet.
However, I would not count out software or tool issues. There's not really a ceiling to how debilitating dumb software problems can be.
As a layman, what I don’t understand is that people are saying software issues are meaning the face offs are a wash (or rather XSX not showing it’s paper advantage) - yet the BC is working very well?

It's these sudden framerate drops on XSX that are perplexing.. Especially in 120 fps mode in DMC 5 and COD I think? But also 30% (it's not 15%, that is an error in calculation as the PS5 has a 14fps advantage or so out of 60fps) in AC Valhalla.

He is vague enough to not be wrong though, hasnt said anything specific or broke anything so it is easier to coast as legendary insider on resetera.
Fifty minutes ago he was wrong, now he's not? If you're going to shit on people, make sure you know what you're talking about. It's not OK to do this even if it is somebody on a different forum.

Fifty minutes ago he was wrong, now he's not? If you're going to shit on people, make sure you know what you're talking about. It's not OK to do this even if it is somebody on a different forum.

This is not the people who said something precise who are the better source, they are fraud most of the time.

All people were believing DuskGolem with RE Engine problem on PS5 or the fraud 13 Tflops Kleegamefan on era(myself included and a good source told me the GPU TFlops of PS5 end of 2019 but he said too it can change before final spec). And they gave precise information.

True insider knows NDA are tight they give vague infos. Matt line was always the two consoles are close to each other. And he continues to say it will be the case when GDK will improve. He is credible but I have my doubt because again on paper the memory bandwidth give me some doubt about PS5 performance. And Jason said the same the consoles are close to each other.

All people were believing DuskGolem with RE Engine problem on PS5.
Capcom guy might be right, DmC V is currently the only game that XSX has some advantages over PS5. Capcom probably didn't spend enough time with the PS5's development tools as their main development is on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back