Optimizations of PC Titles *spawn*

pjbliverpool

B3D Scallywag
Legend

AMD seems to be doing extremely well in these "next gen" titles. I wonder if that's down to the console architecture influence. It's as fast as a 2080Ti in Valhalla at max settings and 1440p, and much faster at 1080p! That could go a long way towards explaining the consoles unexpectedly high performance in that game. It's not so much that the consoles are performing better than expected but that Nvidia is performing worse.

It's as fast as a 2080Ti in Valhalla at max settings and 1440p, and much faster at 1080p!
For whatever reason, AMD is always doing better in AMD partnered titles, what a surprise:rolleyes:, sometimes this lead is ridiculously bad while games look like.. cough.. bad.
Valhalla and Dirt 5 are just to name a few, don't see anything next-gen or any visual justification to work that bad on NVIDIA hardware, really.

For whatever reason, AMD is always doing better in AMD partnered titles, what a surprise:rolleyes:, sometimes this lead is ridiculously bad while games look like.. cough.. bad.
Valhalla and Dirt 5 are just to name a few, don't see anything next-gen or any visual justification to work that bad on NVIDIA hardware, really.

And how is that different from NV doing better in NV sponsored titles?

Regards,
SB

I always found it to be exact opposite up until now. Game runs bad but better on Nvidia HW? Nvidia sponsored. Game runs good, looks good but runs competitive on AMD (DOOM, Battlefield, COD's etc.)? Either AMD partnership or no "HairWorks" shenanigans.

In the past AMD sponsored title meant very little, AMD logo at the start of the game. Unlike Nvidia sponsored titles where Nvidia basically embedded their engineers and worked on the game. No idea how things are today. But there is obviously at least some console advantage trickling up/down however you wanna look at it.

I would rather believe AMD cards gain more by not optimizing for competitor's GPUs.
Valhalla, Dirt 5, Godfall, Horizon Zero Dawn, all work like shit on competitor's GPUs, nothing suspicious:nope:
Do they though?
Godfall is of course just one of the games and TPU is just one test site, but at least in their test RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 perform relatively best* from all the cards they tested.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/godfall-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/4.html

*relatively best meaning in this case they're closer to their average FPS over TPU tests than any other card

Says nothing about real time though.
What do you mean exactly? To my understanding, those are all effects used in real time. Or are you looking for split-millisecond figures broken down per frame?

I would rather believe AMD cards gain more by not optimizing for competitor's GPUs.
Valhalla, Dirt 5, Godfall, Horizon Zero Dawn, all work like shit on competitor's GPUs, nothing suspicious:nope:

So what it your point? If a title sponsored by Nvidia runs like shit on AMD cards it's all fair and square but if an AMD sponsored title runs better on AMD cards it's unfair competition?

I wonder what the function of "amdrtshadows.dll" in Godfall is? Part of the rt acceleration feature?
At launch, there is no raytracing support in Godfall, but the developer will add that functionality in a later patch. I did spot an "amdrtshadows.dll" in the game's files, let's hope this won't turn out to be an AMD exclusive feature. While playing, I've seen lots of reflections, I guess the developer is trying to show off the "raytracing" capabilities on PlayStation 5. Too bad these are just screenspace reflections and not raytraced at all; they still look nice because of some post-processing magic and smart level design.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/godfall-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/5.html

If a title sponsored by Nvidia runs like shit on AMD cards it's all fair and square but if an AMD sponsored title runs better on AMD cards it's unfair competition?
My point is simple, there are AMD titles which work bad on Nvidia for no good reason.
If we take a look at recent titles, all recent AMD titles work bad on Nvidia hardware and in general too (frame rate below 60 FPS in a racing game is a shame), the same can't be said about recent Nvidia titles, which work good on AMD hardware and also contain new tech.

My point is simple, there are AMD titles which work bad on Nvidia for no good reason.
If we take a look at recent titles, all recent AMD titles work bad on Nvidia hardware, the same can't be said about recent Nvidia titles, which work good on AMD hardware and also contain new tech.

Define new tech. I heard no one calling Dirt 5, Godfall, or AC Valhalla "old tech games". Are you sure that the problem lies elsewhere, like Navi architecture being used properly only now, and Nvidia not optimizing anymore for their "now old" Turing architecture, like they did for years?

Define new tech. I heard no one calling Dirt 5, Godfall, or AC Valhalla "old tech games". Are you sure that the problem lies elsewhere, like Navi architecture being used properly only now, and Nvidia not optimizing anymore for their "now old" Turing architecture, like they did for years?

There's no way Nvidia have stopped optimising for Turing yet. Maxwell seems to have dropped off the treadmill now and Pascal might follow soon but Turing has at least another couple of years of driver optimisations in it.

Ray-Tracing, voxel based lighting, DLSS, etc.

Do they contain any new tech?
AC Valhala looks pretty much the same as Odyssey, just runs much slower, what's new in Dirt 5 / Godfall? Why, all of a sudden, they run that slow?

Godfall and Dirt 5 support ray tracing (Godfall will, in reality, in a next patch). One can say Valhalla has more complex scenes, lighting, and so on compared to Odissey. So it's not surprising it runs slower. DLSS is a proprietary tech, and judging by Watch Dogs is more an hit and miss. Also, there is plenty of space for optimizing the drivers. Btw, you should also explain why i.e. Control without Rtx is slower on 5700XT than on a 2070, without any reason. And so on.

Ray-Tracing, voxel based lighting, DLSS, etc.

Do they contain any new tech?
AC Valhala looks pretty much the same as Odyssey, just runs much slower, what's new in Dirt 5 / Godfall? Why, all of a sudden, they run that slow?

DLSS is an NVIDIA tech, the games were probably design around PS4, XB1 and GCN like Forza Horizon 4 too.

New games will have part of this tech deep learning will arrive with Super Resolution and from what I heard Sony have something about deep learning resolution in the SDK since this summer but too late to integrate into games.

Demon's soul's has something looking like RTXGI but based on froxel and the best use of an SSD with huge assets quality, SSDO, great particles, physics and so on.

Unreal Engine 5 doesn't use raytracing, not everything will focus around Nvidia technology in the future. CryEngine is an hybrid SVOGI and mesh based raytracing.

Before AMD GPU were too much behind but they have the advantage to have their technology inside the consoles and this time at least in rasterization they seems to be competitive.

Last edited:
If we take a look at recent titles, all recent AMD titles work bad on Nvidia hardware and in general too (frame rate below 60 FPS in a racing game is a shame), the same can't be said about recent Nvidia titles, which work good on AMD hardware and also contain new tech.
Nvidia puts actual engineers in game studios to implement their black box code. AMD doesn’t have nearly enough resources to do the same. Nvidia and Gameworks have been far more harmful. I’d wager that AMD haven't even done much other than slap their logo on these titles.

Back