AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

I suppose watch where RTX 3070 is streaking ahead of 2080Ti?:

12% at 4K in Godfall.

Possibly, that would explain the almost linear scaling between the 3080 and 3090 too.

Diffuse GI requires very low ray density though.

To be honest, I haven't found any material that really goes into the relative costs of real time ray traced techniques.

You can calculate GI at a lower pixel resolution but it certainly requires more rays per pixel than mirror reflections. GI also lends itself better to stochastic multi-frame accumulation which reduces requirements a bit. In the end though I don't think reflections will be a worst case scenario for either AMD or Nvidia.

I've been trying to work out why AMD has been so coy about its ray tracing performance. The "futuristic city" reflections galore demo would appear to be "worst case" for ray tracing performance. In featuring a fair amount of dynamic geometry and an outdoor city that should make reflections more difficult (BVH being rebuilt) it seems like a tough scenario. Something doesn't add up there.
Mirror-like reflections are not exactly a worst case scenario. Glossy reflections/refractions and GI on the other hand generate more challenging ray distributions.

In the past AMD sponsored title meant very little, AMD logo at the start of the game. Unlike Nvidia sponsored titles where Nvidia basically embedded their engineers and worked on the game. No idea how things are today. But there is obviously at least some console advantage trickling up/down however you wanna look at it.
Probably duo to budget increase, nowadays they are heavy in black while in most of the last decade it was a question if they will survive till next year.

https://docs.cryengine.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=25535599

How much image quality does hardware accelerated ray traced GI bring in comparison? At what performance?

Thats somewhat tangential isn’t it? Most developers have kicked off the RT era with reflections because the visual impact is most obvious and there aren’t very good alternatives. Cube maps suck and SSR can’t see anything off screen. GI has a few promising screen space and sparse world space solutions with RT being the most accurate but not necessarily the best choice.

Mirror-like reflections are not exactly a worst case scenario. Glossy reflections/refractions and GI on the other hand generate more challenging ray distributions.

The impact of the shape of the object is identical with the impact of "roughness", or the impact of more bounces. A skyscraper city of boxes is a lot more performing than a skyscraper city of cylinders or tori. And a city of perfect mirror cylinders can perform identical to a city of blurry glass boxes. Additionally, you'd have to factor in the quality of the BVH, but that is a much worst can of worms really (it's NP-hard).

In general, in raytracing, for performance, what matters is the divergence (or convergence) of directions, because that plays into predictability and locality of memory locations / access. You can practically use the metric of entropy (from compression) to measure ray redundancy, and that redundancy leads to better memory / data access. Try to compress a random data-set, good luck. So, if you pick the perfect rays, you always pay the full trip to memory, because they are truly unique, and perfectly distributed (from an information point of view) thus non-local and unpredictable.

Don't forget that texturing is also at times unpredictable, and an existing bandwidth consumer which can't really be eliminated; or you use cell-shading.

Only if you're in the totally scewed area of very little rays, or highly redundant rays will you find that TFLOPS are useful, because access is not the dominating part.

I'm not convinced. I think Ampere's TFLOPS will swing into action more and more. As the percentage of frametime spent running rasterisation falls, there should be a big bias in favour of Ampere.

It will be hard to disentangle from ray tracing, though. Perhaps in a year's time we'll see that "ray tracing off" is simply not benchmarked for new games.

I've been trying to work out why AMD has been so coy about its ray tracing performance. The "futuristic city" reflections galore demo would appear to be "worst case" for ray tracing performance. In featuring a fair amount of dynamic geometry and an outdoor city that should make reflections more difficult (BVH being rebuilt) it seems like a tough scenario. Something doesn't add up there.
Because it will be slower with RT.

Still have Dangerous Curves on my hdd somewhere :) I guess such demos won't fly in the current_year puritan socio-political climate

Back