Apple is an existential threat to the PC

sINeulW.png

Geekbench of course, but jesus.

No but you can use them just the same.

It redefines the low end performance offered by Macs no matter what way you slice it.
And the difference is arguably even greater in terms of graphics performance.
As a new baseline for Mac performance, these systems are nice. Way above the corresponding systems on the Wintel side of the fence. (And God knows what having a performant "Neural Engine" in that baseline will mean in the future for instance.) I can’t help but wonder how this will shape the MacOS software ecosystem over the next five years.

Are those results without fan? I think so
No doubt spinning a fan uses a chunk of the battery, the screen even more.
Im guessing cause theres an extra 5-6 hours of battery life with these chips then they must be at about 2x as perf/watt than the previous intel chips.
Biggest news in CPU's for at least half a decade, Hopefully this drives MS to do more effort with an ARM version of windows

sINeulW.png

Geekbench of course, but jesus.
So, let's play Geekbench all night long?
James: “The same procedure as last year, Miss Sophie?”
Miss Sophie: “The same procedure as every year, James.”

Why are some people so impressed by Geekbench results? Every autumn/fall the same stuff: Yes, Apple has built a SoC for impressive Geekbench numbers. As an iPhone user for over 12 years: I am not impressed.

------
It will be like:
Apple: "Upto 20 hours watching videos with the Apple TV app".
Reviewers: "Nope, 10 hours only with VLC player"
Users: "Who cares about VLC player?"

Because it shows the performance of Apple CPU?

Benchmarks can show all they want to, its what happens in practice what matters. Another example is antutu where Apple almost always looses to snapdragon chipsets. It is said to be the most realistic benchmark because it takes all of the system in test instead of just the CPU.
Anyway, thats just benchmarks again on totally different OS and architectures. Using a S20 ultra and 11 pro max side by side, the former is the faster one for most things.
The SD875 will most likely be 'close or faster' in benchmarks again.

Benchmarks can show all they want to, its what happens in practice what matters. Another example is antutu where Apple almost always looses to snapdragon chipsets. It is said to be the most realistic benchmark because it takes all of the system in test instead of just the CPU.
Anyway, thats just benchmarks again on totally different OS and architectures. Using a S20 ultra and 11 pro max side by side, the former is the faster one for most things.
The SD875 will most likely be 'close or faster' in benchmarks again.

What’s your agenda?

Because it shows the performance of Apple CPU?

Blame lazy programmers :D
https://browser.geekbench.com/macs/macbook-pro-13-inch-mid-2019-intel-core-i5-8279u-2-4-ghz-4-cores

My iPhone 8's Single-Core Score is ~937. So it's faster than last year's MBP 13''- in Geekbench - and it cannot run Crysis.
------
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/4687764?baseline=4652718

Almost the same SC score, but you can see differences, where M1 wins, where Zen 3.
Geekbench 5 CPU workload: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj4__bul4ftAhWI66QKHY4WBasQFjABegQIAhAC&url=https://www.geekbench.com/doc/geekbench5-cpu-workloads.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0vtYROsatw3-nUwhuXtdhJ

I don't think, M1 uses its FF hardware

Last edited:
AnTuTu is the worst CPU benchmark I had the displeasure to study (well OK, dhrystone is worse). It was based on nbench and used to be compiled with Intel icc (which was demonstrated to make unreal optimizations on nbench code) to show Atom in a better light. I don't know where it stands now, but I don't care and I know where Geekbench stands.

AnTuTu is the worst CPU benchmark I had the displeasure to study (well OK, dhrystone is worse). It was based on nbench and used to be compiled with Intel icc (which was demonstrated to make unreal optimizations on nbench code) to show Atom in a better light. I don't know where it stands now, but I don't care and I know where Geekbench stands.

Yes, i wasnt implying antutu was any good indication either, its another benchmark. What the respective phones do in practice, the final results, thats what matters.
Otherwise i couldnt care about mobile phones, i have zero intrest in them performance vs another brand. Im a pc gamer not a phone gamer :p

I have an 11 pro max, and with IOS14 its close enough for me to an android. But say, comparing to my sisters S20 ultra side by side, it really doesnt matter much, they both do just about anything you throw at them, even if one is a second faster here and there. Its a matter of OS choice basically. And there is where i go for Apple just because i dont have to thinkoff OS updates, as i will get atleast 5 years of full updates plus another three for security updates.
Apps are also much better optimized on OIS, theres less shit on the app store and an iphone basically never needs a reinstall or reboot.
The drawbacks are usually the display and other tech, but hardware SoC is top notch (lol).

IE, i cant have a damn agenda for a mobile phone i only use when i dont have access to my ipad or pc.

https://browser.geekbench.com/macs/macbook-pro-13-inch-mid-2019-intel-core-i5-8279u-2-4-ghz-4-cores

My iPhone 8's Single-Core Score is ~937. So it's faster than last year's MBP 13''- in Geekbench - and it cannot run Crysis.
------
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/4687764?baseline=4652718

Almost the same SC score, but you can see differences, where M1 wins, where Zen 3.
Crazy what being in a desktop with a huge fan allows one to do. Now all I see in the ST results is that the largest discrepancy is in AES which is the less useful part of GB IMNSHO.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...orkloads.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0vtYROsatw3-nUwhuXtdhJ
What's your point exactly? That a 12 cores 100W TDP CPU beats a 4+4 10-15W TDP CPU? And by a huge factor of 2? All I see is that one of these Zen3 cores at 5 GHz is at about the perf of a 3.2 GHz M1 core, which is good for both of them.

I don't think, M1 uses its FF hardware
Do you mean fixed function? If so then yes GB doesn't use M1 fixed function or that would make it a poor CPU benchmark :)

Yes, i wasnt implying antutu was any good indication either, its another benchmark. What the respective phones do in practice, the final results, thats what matters.
Otherwise i couldnt care about mobile phones, i have zero intrest in them performance vs another brand. Im a pc gamer not a phone gamer :p

I have an 11 pro max, and with IOS14 its close enough for me to an android. But say, comparing to my sisters S20 ultra side by side, it really doesnt matter much, they both do just about anything you throw at them, even if one is a second faster here and there. Its a matter of OS choice basically. And there is where i go for Apple just because i dont have to thinkoff OS updates, as i will get atleast 5 years of full updates plus another three for security updates.
Apps are also much better optimized on OIS, theres less shit on the app store and an iphone basically never needs a reinstall or reboot.
The drawbacks are usually the display and other tech, but hardware SoC is top notch (lol).
Well that brings us back to the second part of my message above: blame the SW. With that CPU performance there's no reason your iPhone should feel significantly slower than an S20. But I think we already had this discussion months ago, didn't we? :)

IE, i cant have a damn agenda for a mobile phone i only use when i dont have access to my ipad or pc.
Same here.

Well that brings us back to the second part of my message above: blame the SW. With that CPU performance there's no reason your iPhone should feel significantly slower than an S20. But I think we already had this discussion months ago, didn't we?

Oh wow wait there, i never said the 11 pro max felt significantly slower then the S20 i compared it to. I just found they are a match in just about anything. IE, browsing the net, taking pictures, spotifty, they are about as fast. Maybe things change when video editing where the A13 is going to pull ahead ALOT. But i never do these things on a phone, most dont i think :) And even there i think a S20 would suffice for most too.

Also, blame the software? IOS is a much and much better and streamlined OS then android ever will be. Ive always seen it as Apple is doing more with less, in special the ram management. For example, i had a 5s and xperia z1 compact, both purchased around the same time. The 5s and xperia are neck on neck, IF you disable all the bloat the android phone comes with. And thats with half the memory amount for the 5s.

Back