Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I can’t find it anywhere!

I had to order my official PS4 charger as an import from Canada. I got the PS5 version from Argos! I really liked the PS4 charger but the interconnect mechanism required a specific angle of attachment whereas the PS5 model is more seamless because the contacts are virtually flat.

Good luck finding one!

Some monitors are able to receive 4k input and downscale to their native resolution, it's a feature of the monitor itself. They also need EDID that shows they are 4k capable.
Yeah, I was about to say this. This is almost certainly the monitor doing the work here. This marks the difference between good modern monitors and older models that almost ever only support upto the native display panel resolution.

Ok where are our xrays and caliper measurements for the SoC?
What's taking you so long, dear US people?

It seems for 1440p monitor, the PS5 downscale from 4k and does not upscale from 1080p

The good news is it supports 1440p downscaled from 4K.
The less good news is it's being recognized as a 4K HDMI 2.0 monitor, meaning it's limited to 60Hz.
The SeriesX still has an advantage in the way it natively supports a 1440p monitor, and through HDMI 2.0 it can send up to 120Hz.

Though it seems Sony is being quite fast at reacting to this demand.

I have shoes older than that :D
TIL I'm a child in the B3D scale, despite being 36.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news is it supports 1440p downscaled from 4K.
The less good news is it's being recognized as a 4K HDMI 2.0 monitor, meaning it's limited to 60Hz.
The SeriesX still has an advantage in the way it natively supports a 1440p monitor, and through HDMI 2.0 it can send up to 120Hz.

This is probably just a software thing, not a hardware limitation.

This is probably just a software thing, not a hardware limitation.

Probably software but also could be hardware and need a v2 board / chip.

IIRC all Xbox 360 was unable to output 16:10 but Microsoft managed to "hack" one of the chip and add "16:10" resolutions.

On the other hand Sony unable to do this kind of hack for ps3.

Or like how psvr v1 pu box can't pass thru hdr

Probably software but also could be hardware and need a v2 board / chip.

IIRC all Xbox 360 was unable to output 16:10 but Microsoft managed to "hack" one of the chip and add "16:10" resolutions.

On the other hand Sony unable to do this kind of hack for ps3.

Or like how psvr v1 pu box can't pass thru hdr

Don't leave out what Sony was able to do. They were able to include HDR support for even the PS4 despite the hardware being released before HDR was even a thing.

Don't leave out what Sony was able to do. They were able to include HDR support for even the PS4 despite the hardware being released before HDR was even a thing.
Sony have a history of using software-programme HDMI controllers in their devices, especially TVs. It's easier than it sounds, HDMI standards are agreed years in advance so for controller chips it's mostly about the ability to update the chip firmware and having the bandwidth, which is about the ability to clock the chip higher.

it nothing new, same situation in ps4 pro, it depands on monitor cause some 1440p can take 4k signal and downscale it to 1440p but older one usually can't, it's monitor feature not console
Yep, back in the day I remember some 720p tvs (1366x768 pixels, actually) accepted a 1080p signal, but downscaled it to 720p. I remember doing that on Xbox 360, and on PS3 specifically for MGS4, it had a unusual rendering resolution and 1080p scaled it better.

Reactions: snc

So the PS5 has coil noise according to Ryan.

Smartshift working or the high GPU speed fluctuating?

However if you play sound from your speakers or have headphones on, you aren't going to hear any noise.

On PC, high clocks do sometimes mean more coil whine. Many of my GPUs have had this when being in a menu of a game where the FPS can go through the roof. No idea if this is applies to the PS5 gpu though.

On PC, high clocks do sometimes mean more coil whine. Many of my GPUs have had this when being in a menu of a game where the FPS can go through the roof. No idea if this is applies to the PS5 gpu though.
Ha! My MacBook Pro makes tiny noise while under heavy I/O activities, even when it uses an SSD! Apparently coil whine explains it?

So the PS5 has coil noise according to Ryan.

So the way he describes it is that this is hardly an issue even when it does happen, but something that typically happens only to some units, also on PS4 Pro, PC, etc., but most consoles have been too loud for you to ever hear that. So accurate to say would be that PS5 is quiet enough to even allow you to hear coil noise and that *this* PS5 has coil noise. Whereas DFs PS5 for instance, clearly didn’t (and they do have db meters).

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that we can expect *some* Xbox Series X’s to have coil noise too, unless they did something special to prevent that.

Back