Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Seems like these consoles will have launch growing pains. Makes sense, both companies will iron things out before long.

Even when 360 had a worst case scenario in red ring early on, the S model is still one of the best designed consoles of all time.

I doubt itll take a hardware refresh to iron out these issues tho

It is, I think they're saying is that Spider-Man Remastered is crashing the whole PS5 and its the crash that causes the drive repair screen.

This is likely a precautionary measure to ensure that the external drive, which certainly has a less robust filesystem than the internal NVME, is good (i.e. not corrupt). The PS5 cannot assume this because if the PS5 has crashed outright - any filesystem journaling logs would be automatically suspect.

Yeah that makes sense.

It is, I think they're saying is that Spider-Man Remastered is crashing the whole PS5 and its the crash that causes the drive repair screen.

This is likely a precautionary measure to ensure that the external drive, which certainly has a less robust filesystem than the internal NVME, is good (i.e. not corrupt). The PS5 cannot assume this because if the PS5 has crashed outright - any filesystem journaling logs would be automatically suspect.

Games crashing the whole console does seem to be one of those launch system woes, and this has been reported on Xbox as well. Expect Microsoft and Sony to be working hard to find the cause and fix them. I was having Assassin's Creed crash my PS3 even in late November 2007 - six months after launch (EU). I think I also had issues with Mass Effect Andromeda on PS4 Pro soon after the Pro's launch.

so basically sony copy-paste the exact same thing from PS4.

on PS4, even when you didn't play games from external storage, it'll check/repair the external storage if PS4 was not shut down properly (or crashed into full reboot)

Should work with your phone too since it should work with remote play?

I shall test it out after work. I also seem to have developed a copy of Assassins Creed Valhalla. Again for the PS5 though.. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.

The DS5 definitely feels meatier than the DS4.

That I get and I understand the HDMI bus way too much than any normal person should but not the HDMI protocols. You would think that 1440p should be easy to support for pretty much any 4K TV but it's not. Why is this? It makes no sense. :nope: There has to be more to it but I cannot think it anything that it could possibly be. Calculating bandwidth for video is literally, X * Y * bits * frame rate and it should matter what the resolution is, vs the colour format vs the frame rate.

it could be that 1440p is not native for any TV panel and who knows how would TV's handle upscale without chroma subsampling... speaking of weird TV behaviour, Sony X900H doesn't support 4k/120Hz from PC but it does from PS5, like what?
Do we know what format is PS5 sending out when 4k/120 is enabled?

Probably need one of those hdmi/edid/sniffers to see what's what.

so basically sony copy-paste the exact same thing from PS4. on PS4, even when you didn't play games from external storage, it'll check/repair the external storage if PS4 was not shut down properly (or crashed into full reboot)

I've only used an external drive with my PS4 in the last week or so, and only to prepare to move my library to PS5. But this makes sense and when your PS4 shuts down improperly, the console will always run a check on the internal drive so it makes sense for it to so for for the external drive.

The fix, obviously, to rectify what is causing the crashing. I know it's not bullet proof and there will always be exceptions, but games crashing the whole console shouldn't happen.

Well, thank you US for providing us Europeans with the week-long massive beta-testing.

Well, there's no better place to do idiot testing (as it's sometimes referred to) than with the biggest idiots, with 'Murica!

Disclaimer: This joke is not a political or religious statement, the stupidity runs much deeper than that.

This is fundamentally the point. I have never needed to change one either. While I'm sure it's happened on very rare occasions for people, it actually isn't a common fault of the controllers and the battery type that's used. I'd hazard a guess that it's more applicable to rechargeable AA batteries.

It's surely beyond coincidence that all of the Xbox folks are the ones complaining about PlayStation controllers.

:p The only console I own is a NSW. The only reason I have an Xbox Elite v1 controller is that it's, IMO, the best controller to use on PC that also has easily replaceable batteries.

So, uh, I guess include NSW folks as not wanting built in batteries? Also here's a hint, I wasn't complaining about the PS controllers. I was actually complaining about the Microsoft Elite V2 controller that other people were also complaining about. :p

But yeah, while I'm certainly interested in the new triggers and haptics on the PS controller (I really REALLY hope it gets universal support), I certainly wouldn't buy one for use on PC. But not because of the battery (although that would be part of it), but just because I don't like the analog stick layout. I much prefer the layout that both Microsoft and Nintendo use. But that's purely a preference thing and one isn't naturally better than the other. I know plenty of people that much prefer the PS analog stick layout.

Anyway, I really hope haptics gets universal adoption as I'd certainly be interested in seeing it come to PC games.

Regards,
SB

It looks like the voice coil actuators are controlled as speakers, which is why that other guy got the doom music going olgoing off from the dualsense's vibration.

Back