Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

it's a resolution setting Sony... your 4K/8K TV sales aren't going to suffer because of it. SMH...

I don't think it's Sony trying to protect their TVs, because DF couldn't get 8K working either, which should be a real showcase for a full Sony entertainment setup. *shrug*

I don't think it's Sony trying to protect their TVs, because DF couldn't get 8K working either, which should be a real showcase for a full Sony entertainment setup. *shrug*

I guess. Sony just needs to get on the ball and head off issues which shouldn't have been issues to begin with.

Instead of waiting for demand, how about providing the damn feature regardless. FFS, it's a resolution setting Sony... your 4K/8K TV sales aren't going to suffer because of it. SMH...
Yes it's bullshit. I wonder what excuse did they have for the folders on PS4. People have waited years for those because...

"We feel like those folders are a threat for our stationery business".

Instead of waiting for demand, how about providing the damn feature regardless. FFS, it's a resolution setting Sony... your 4K/8K TV sales aren't going to suffer because of it. SMH...
In general, it's because you can't put every feature in day one unless you push back day one. But in this case, it's surely just a line in a config file. I know 1440p has really poor adoption in TVs so maybe it's more complex than it first appears? I can't think why, but why is this resolution otherwise so poorly supported? :???: I've mentioned before my Sony didn't it originally and then it disappeared in a firmware update, never to return.

I guess. Sony just needs to get on the ball and head off issues which shouldn't have been issues to begin with.

Could it be similar to why 15 KHz support was dropped from VGA, out of timing restriction issues? Could also be they'd need more support built into the display controller (maybe the display controller only supports more "common" resolution outputs for televisions?).

Interesting they say every game will have 3D audio...

yes, but their HRTF 3D audio is only for headphones connected via supported interface.

"What types of headsets can I use to enjoy 3D Audio?

The PULSE 3D wireless headset has been engineered to take full advantage of PS5’s 3D Audio capabilities. With a refined design, dual noise-cancelling microphones, and an array of easy-access controls, the PULSE 3D wireless headset offers a seamless experience.

Players can also experience 3D Audio on PS5 with a PS5-compatible headset that you may already own, either through the console’s USB connection, or by plugging an analog headset into the DualSense wireless controller’s 3.5mm headset jack."

I know 1440p has really poor adoption in TVs so maybe it's more complex than it first appears? I can't think why, but why is this resolution otherwise so poorly supported?

No idea, but there are lot of 1440p monitors with HDMI 2.0 and people obviously want to use it for the PS5.

Yes, the purely reactive 'let's wait until enough people complain' way of doing business is lazy at best, maliciously greedy at worst.

They will prioritize what a majority of their userbase wants and prioritize what they can based on resources availible at one time

1440p support literally is little more than them not prioritizing 1440p as an output due to seeing most of their users use tvs.

Like ps3 and ps4, ps5 will gain features over the gen after launch as the system is updated.

They will prioritize what a majority of their userbase wants and prioritize what they can based on resources availible at one time

1440p support literally is little more than them not prioritizing 1440p as an output due to seeing most of their users use tvs.

Like ps3 and ps4, ps5 will gain features over the gen after launch as the system is updated.

While I agree with the sentiment, Sony are ready for an 8K output update for... who exactly?

There are quite a few people with 1440p monitors and MANY MORE WITH ATMOS SETUPS but yeah let’s have 8K output.

What output resolution is used for PSVR or other VR headsets?

No idea, but there are lot of 1440p monitors with HDMI 2.0 and people obviously want to use it for the PS5.
That I get and I understand the HDMI bus way too much than any normal person should but not the HDMI protocols. You would think that 1440p should be easy to support for pretty much any 4K TV but it's not. Why is this? It makes no sense. :nope: There has to be more to it but I cannot think it anything that it could possibly be. Calculating bandwidth for video is literally, X * Y * bits * frame rate and it should matter what the resolution is, vs the colour format vs the frame rate.

They have confirmed that an update will come “soon” to enable 8K output *shrug*
Yes, this is in the FAQ. Which supports what I have been saying: everybody is using pre-release firmware. Very likely the same on Xbox as well. Whatever numbers, timings and experience people have had on both consoles before they are available to the public, really need to be reset and re-evaluated.

So its not there yet like VRR and 1440p support....and so what is your issue?

It's not released yet, is it? :rolleyes:

Back