Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2018 - 2020]

Still holds up, was ahead of anything else basically. When things wherent hold back.

Back when developers would still attempt to really push the hardware and design with an eye towards hardware that was on the horizon. Almost non-existent nowadays where almost all developers (still the rare exception on PC) just develop to an existing hardware target.

I still very fondly remember that game. Got it at launch and almost played through it in one sitting...in the dark...

Regards,
SB

Back when developers would still attempt to really push the hardware and design with an eye towards hardware that was on the horizon. Almost non-existent nowadays where almost all developers (still the rare exception on PC) just develop to an existing hardware target.

I still very fondly remember that game. Got it at launch and almost played through it in one sitting...in the dark...

Regards,
SB
it's still fun nowadays -even with that fake HDR-, at 1440p - 4k and 165fps, gosh. The campaign got me hooked til I completed it.

On a different note, Mass Effect 3 is an odd beast. I've been playing ME 2 on EA Access (Origin, love it), or other games that I had back in the day like Dead Space 1-3, etc, and those games run at a perfect 165fps (1440p).

So does Mass Effect 3, but sometimes the game gets stuck at 80-90fps for a couple of seconds -everything maxed out-. Thing is..., it's not a CPU or GPU issue, 'cos both run the game very comfortably at low temps and low usage -no fans spinning at all-, and I wonder why that happens.

I use this trick to play all ME games at 165fps.

PlayStation 2 Launch Games with Audi and John

PS2 launch games and SSX is covered. Thanks DF :)
I am just gonna say two word: DF xboxer. :D

Jokes and ironies aside, if I ever had a PS2 back then, I'd play Ridge Racer hours and hours no end.

RR and similar games are the pinnacle to me of what a good arcade racing game is: few cars -but you feel soooooooooo accomplished and that you evolved when you get one-, fun challenges, solid and outstanding driving -whether it is realistic or not it doesnt matter, it is perfect as it is, the cars differentiate a lot-, etc etc. My fav version ever is N64's which I played a lot via emulation.

I am just gonna say two word: DF xboxer. :D

Jokes and ironies aside, if I ever had a PS2 back then, I'd play Ridge Racer hours and hours no end.

RR and similar games are the pinnacle to me of what a good arcade racing game is: few cars -but you feel soooooooooo accomplished and that you evolved when you get one-, fun challenges, solid and outstanding driving -whether it is realistic or not it doesnt matter, it is perfect as it is, the cars differentiate a lot-, etc etc. My fav version ever is N64's which I played a lot via emulation.

I never got around to trying that RR. It always looked like a step back gameplay wise from Rage Racer.

I never got around to trying that RR. It always looked like a step back gameplay wise from Rage Racer.
on which system did you play Rage Racer? I've never played that game, only RR, and started with an emulated version of the N64 version, which is still my favourite to date, more so than the PS2 version.
The progression and obtaining cars was just perfect, at least for me. Lots of fun and perfect gameplay.

on which system did you play Rage Racer? I've never played that game, only RR, and started with an emulated version of the N64 version, which is still my favourite to date, more so than the PS2 version.
The progression and obtaining cars was just perfect, at least for me. Lots of fun and perfect gameplay.

PS1. Honestly, don't quite remember what my aversion to RRV was beyond it not doing something RageRacer did. :D

While it's been a fantastic year for new games, John Linneman and Audi Sorlie have been busy bolstering their retro game collections too. In this video, the duo compare notes on their retro purchases in 2020 - and show you exactly what vintage games they've enjoyed most.

I played Hexen on PC first, thought it was dumb. Classes? Hub worlds? I wanted more reskinned Doom (like Heretic). It was the N64 version that I played splitscreen with a friend that made me realize how good the game was. Actually, same friend became a room mate and we built new PCs and played Hexen 2 together a ton. N64 Hexen is a great retro gateway to Co-Op first person games.

Back