Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again it has probably more to do with how the PS4 and XB1 version were coded than the speed of the PS5 SSD.
I just don't see why they'd be particularly different between the two consoles considering they're essentially the same architecture. The differences between 4Pro and OneX aren't that crazy.

edit: Did they only add higher resolution textures for OneX :?: That would make more sense given the difference in RAM capacity.

hm....

That was the original game release for 2013 consoles. CDPR released mid-gen One X and Pro patches but I've not seen a comparison of them. One X got a 60fps performance mode!
Ah right.... just found the article.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-witcher-3-xbox-one-x-analysis

All we can do is just wait and see when non-bc games make it to the consoles to see which one loads faster. Just five days left.
I have no idea at all what console is going to load faster, atleast will be fun to watch DF's videos.

Aside from this, the new CoD is going to be cross-platform multiplayer, i hope every MP game will be that from now, as population on consoles is fairly low aside from anything CoD, mixing in the pc there will be more populated servers.

I just don't see why they'd be particularly different between the two consoles considering they're essentially the same architecture. The differences between 4Pro and OneX aren't that crazy.
Not in hardware terms, but perhaps file and object I/O APIs are very different. We recently saw new PS4 firmware slash loading times in Until Dawn and The Last of Us Remastered - this required no patches to the games themselves.

Perhaps Sony has some higher-performance I/O APIs that not all games use because devs favour parity for code maintenance reasons. It could be a lot of reasons so unless Sony, Microsoft or devs speak out, we'll have to keep guessing.

Digital Foundry: In terms of visual settings, texture filtering takes a hit in quality next to the 4K mode too, as does the presentation of shadows - but otherwise the two are like-for-like in core asset quality, draw distances and effects. The main dividing point is in resolution.​

All we can do is just wait and see when non-bc games make it to the consoles to see which one loads faster.

These are the only games I could find that are currently available for Pre-Order in the Microsoft Store that are X|S Optimized and can't be played on the Xbox One:

Bright Memory(not the Infinite version shown at the May showcase)
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
NBA 2K 21 Next Generation
Observer: System Redux
The Medium

Here are some cross-gen games that don't support Smart Delivery but you also get a separate Xbox One version with them.

COD Black Ops Cold War
Control Ultimate Edition
FIFA 21
Madden NFL 21

These might be good candidates for comparison too.

Tommy McClain

That was the original game release for 2013 consoles. CDPR released mid-gen One X and Pro patches but I've not seen a comparison of them. One X got a 60fps performance mode!
Really don't remember there was a performance mode. But I guess it was 1080p up to 60fps. What I really want is 4k max details 60 ;)

Not in hardware terms, but perhaps file and object I/O APIs are very different. We recently saw new PS4 firmware slash loading times in Until Dawn and The Last of Us Remastered - this required no patches to the games themselves.

Perhaps Sony has some higher-performance I/O APIs that not all games use because devs favour parity for code maintenance reasons. It could be a lot of reasons so unless Sony, Microsoft or devs speak out, we'll have to keep guessing.

Digital Foundry: In terms of visual settings, texture filtering takes a hit in quality next to the 4K mode too, as does the presentation of shadows - but otherwise the two are like-for-like in core asset quality, draw distances and effects. The main dividing point is in resolution.​
odd... as far as I remember they made a patch to use the extra memory for better textures ... but well, maybe I just don't remember it correctly.

Than the loading difference just makes no sense. The IO isn't that much faster (and you could fill more than 20GB of memory in the time difference) and the cpu slower. That it might just be some kind of "driver"/API issue.

Last edited:
I think we need a mini BC face off list so we can see which console has the best version of a game in BC mode as it’s not a straight win for XSX...has anything been put together yet?

It should be a broad mix of titles without midgen upgrades, with midgen upgrades, and with OneX BC enchantments (9x scaling or texture increases), and SeriesX BC enchantments like Double Frame Rate. Even then you have to weigh having 16x AF and the option for AutoHDR. Its going to be quite extensive amount of work to do properly.

edit: Did they only add higher resolution textures for OneX :?: That would make more sense given the difference in RAM capacity.

hm....

Ah right.... just found the article.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-witcher-3-xbox-one-x-analysis

RDR2 on PS5 and XSX load at 40 MB/S I think there is some other problem than SSD speed. Wait Next gen games for compare SSD speed.

Also do you have Until Dawn on your system?
Yes. version 1.03 is installed and it's the latest version. That was released in 2015. Incidentally the latest version of The Last of Us Remastered is version 1.11 with the patch note being "Miscellaneous bug fixes".

And it loads faster?
I have not played it since the patch, but it's been widely reported as have massively reduced loads. Many articles cited game patches but not all the games had patches but all the performance improvements did trigger after firmware 8.0 dropped at the same time.

Other sites all report it was various BC enhancement patches for individual games, all first party.
There has been no patch for Until Dawn, the speed improvement can only be attributed to firmware 8.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Case closed?
It depends on what your conclusion is? ;)

Until Dawn got a massive boost without any game patches but after firmware 8.0 released. The Last of Us Remastered was patched in mid-October but did to exhibit a loading boost before or after firmware 8.0?

So with regards to TLoU:R, was it the game patch that boosted loading or something in firmware 8.0? If it wasn't firmware 8.0, without a specific patch how do you account for the sudden improvement in Until Dawn?

Really don't remember there was a performance mode. But I guess it was 1080p up to 60fps. What I really want is 4k max details 60 ;)
It's dynamic resolution, just like the quality mode, but the highest value recorded by DF in their analysis back when the patch landed on One X was 1332p. Apparently it had the same upper and lower bounds as the quality mode though (1080p on the low-end, and full 4k on the high-end), so it scales nicely on the Series X.

It depends on what your conclusion is? ;)

Until Dawn got a massive boost without any game patches but after firmware 8.0 released. The Last of Us Remastered was patched in mid-October but did to exhibit a loading boost before or after firmware 8.0?

So with regards to TLoU:R, was it the game patch that boosted loading or something in firmware 8.0? If it wasn't firmware 8.0, without a specific patch how do you account for the sudden improvement in Until Dawn?
fucking magic lol.
I wish they told us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back