General external expansion discussion? *spawn*

To those buying the PS5 is this something that is acceptable? Isn't this something you expected to just work? Are you not frustrated & upset by this? I know I would be if it happened on my Xbox.

Tommy McClain

To those buying the PS5 is this something that is acceptable? Isn't this something you expected to just work? Are you not frustrated & upset by this? I know I would be if it happened on my Xbox.

I'll be be frustrated if it's not fixed by the time I run out of space on the NVME but that's going to be a while. It's worth stating that dumping PS5 games to an external SSD is my last case resort, I'm more likely gong to insert a 2-4Tb NVME to expand the internal storage.

Primarily my external SSD is for my massive PS4 game collective. I got one larger than it is to a) accommodate the Collection games I never got (The Last Guardian, Bloodborne, FF XV, Personal 5, MK X). Anything unused capacity is bonus emergency 'cold' storage for PS5 games.

Reactions: JPT
What process? Sony are very likely packaging their PS5 games using a variation of the fast install install they used on PS4, i.e. to allow the game to be playable before the whole game gas been downloaded/installed. This means the game package is quite complex. You can't just take a pre-installed game and retro-archive back like it used to be when first installed it - you need dev tools for this. You'll have to settle for archiving the live install into some kind of package/container and dumping it as is on the external drive. You ideally still want it to accessible so that it can be updated so when you copy it back to the NVME, it's ready to go.

This is a lot more complicated. :yep2:

I don't see why it has to be. I can copy folders, media files, executables, compressed application/game install packages, between different types of media with different file systems and across different host operating systems and yet moving PS5 game installs from one storage device to another on the same PS5 is difficult to realize somehow? It's not like this is a completely new idea where it could credibly argued that the engineers who designed the PS5's OS didn't expect to have to accommodate. If this is complicated someone screwed up.

Again, it isn't a big deal as long as it makes it in eventually. I just find it odd that it's not in yet.

I'll be be frustrated if it's not fixed by the time I run out of space on the NVME but that's going to be a while.

So you find it acceptable it's not there at launch? Is it acceptable if it's not there for 1 month, 2 months, or 3 months or even longer? You may not run out of space if you keep deleting games just so it doesn't run out of space. When is Sony going to get rebuked by its own base that they should have done better?

Tommy McClain

So you find it acceptable it's not there at launch? Is it acceptable if it's not there for 1 month, 2 months, or 3 months or even longer? You may not run out of space if you keep deleting games just so it doesn't run out of space. When is Sony going to get rebuked by its own base that they should have done better?

Tommy McClain
Each to their own, with any product there will be these kinds of issues where the customer will decide what the breaking point is.

It’s an inconvenience at worst- I can live with it, and we know Sony we’re talking about the ability to delete parts of games, so let’s wait until we know how it’s affecting people in the real world before getting the pitchforks out!

I don't see why it has to be. I can copy folders, media files, executables, compressed application/game install packages, between different types of media with different file systems and across different host operating systems and yet moving PS5 game installs from one storage device to another on the same PS5 is difficult to realize somehow?
You can copy files between filesystems when they share the the same or equivalent metadata, permissions and resource fork structures. When they don't, you can loose critical metadata that the filesystem may not report and you won't know you've lost the data until you copy files back and metadata has disappeared. If you're not familiar with the differences between filesystems it's not something I can easily explain here, it's a complex issue. It's the same reason you can't use NTFS for linux or macOS and you can't use ZFS for Windows. Filesystems are different.

It's not like this is a completely new idea where it could credibly argued that the engineers who designed the PS5's OS didn't expect to have to accommodate. If this is complicated someone screwed up.
Yeah, could be. You may recall in February 2013 Sony made a great deal of PS4's immediacy and demo'd the sleep/resume feature of PS4 that wasn't there at launch in November 2013, indeed it didn't arrive until March 2015 with firmware 2.50. Sometimes people screw up. :yep2:

When it becomes a problem. It's not a problem at launch and won't be for me for many months. If they fix it before it comes an issue, I don't care. If you paid attention you'll notice myself and London Geezer are highly critical of Sony when they screw up. Fans tend to be, it's what separates fans (the most critical) and fanboys (who defend anything). :yep2:

If PS4 games are able to move between both I doubt there is some radical change or different filesystem...
Most of the Sony patents we're seen emerge have ended up in PS5. And from somebody who understands filesystems, you just wouldn't want to use the filesystem Sony used for PS4 for PS5 - it's got a bunch of overheads that would undermine the whole goal of supercharging I/O.

If I can't convince you and you've going to dismiss the segment of Mark Cerny's talk where he explained they changed the entire I/O stack then I don't know what to say to you. :???:

Most of the Sony patents we're seen emerge have ended up in PS5. And from somebody who understands filesystems, you just wouldn't want to use the filesystem Sony used for PS4 for PS5 - it's got a bunch of overheads that would undermine the whole goal of supercharging I/O.

How is it possible to move PS4 games back and forth?

How is it possible to move PS4 games back and forth?
PS5's filesystem likely supports all the features of the filesystem PS4 uses. PS4's filesystem, being much older, is unlikely to support all of the [new] features of PS5. It's almost certainly

Filesystems become limitations, FAT16 was great until it wasn't. FAT32 was great until it wasn't. You can't copy long filesystems from modern filesystems to older ones. Hell, I run into this even now, macOS allows long filenames with all sorts of special characters like / and \ and NTFS can't cope with those, nor other Microsoft backend storage systems like Sharepoint.

When it becomes a problem. It's not a problem at launch and won't be for me for many months. If they fix it before it comes an issue, I don't care. If you paid attention you'll notice myself and London Geezer are highly critical of Sony when they screw up. Fans tend to be, it's what separates fans (the most critical) and fanboys (who defend anything).

Sorry, but I keep seeing excuses by the Sony base. Not just on this basic feature but other stuff too. If Microsoft would have done something like this they would have gotten eviscerated. But since it's Sony they don't.

Tommy McClain

Who is excusing what? :-?

You. You said it's no big deal it's not there at launch, because it doesn't affect you. You keep excusing it due to it's a new different filesystem. Why not just say it sucks instead of trying to explain it away? There shouldn't be any defense for missing such a basic feature.

Tommy McClain

You. You said it's no big deal it's not there at launch, because it doesn't affect you. You keep excusing it due to it's a new different filesystem. Why not just say it sucks instead of trying to explain it away? There shouldn't be any defense for missing such a basic feature.
So let me get this right. You are angry that I am not angry about something that doesn't impact me? :???:

Ok. I really don't know how to respond to that. I already said I'd be frustrated if it became a problem.

Sorry, but I keep seeing excuses by the Sony base. Not just on this basic feature but other stuff too. If Microsoft would have done something like this they would have gotten eviscerated. But since it's Sony they don't.

Tommy McClain
Probably already OT, but I'll throw in my 2c.

It's the nature of being the challenger. And make no mistake, xbox is since the start of this gen.

Little point in getting too worked up about it.
MS has to execute better than Sony, and on more fronts.

It may seem unfair, but it really is just the nature of challenger and being the incumbent.

So let me get this right. You are angry that I am not angry about something that doesn't impact me? :???:

Ok. I really don't know how to respond to that. I already said I'd be frustrated if it became a problem.

I'm not upset or angry. That's you trying to read emotion that's not there. I think it's a double standard here that Sony gets a pass when it shouldn't.

Tommy McClain

I'm not upset or angry. That's you trying to read emotion that's not there. I think it's a double standard here that Sony gets a pass when it shouldn't.

I'm not sure what double-standard you're talking about? I'm not giving "Sony a pass", it's something that doesn't impact me. Did I give Microsoft "a pass" for not caring that Halo Infinite isn't a launch game? Seriously WTF?

I think where I am is perhaps you need to get some perspective. These things are basically toys. In the crazy world out there, this shit just isn't important. :nope:

I'm not sure what double-standard you're talking about? I'm not giving "Sony a pass", it's something that doesn't impact me. Did I give Microsoft "a pass" for not caring that Halo Infinite isn't a launch game? Seriously WTF?

I think where I am is perhaps you need to get some perspective. These things are basically toys. In the crazy world out there, this shit just isn't important. :nope:

You spend most multiple times a day, for the past 13 years, reading & posting on a videogame forum that's not important to you? That's a lot of wasted time on what amounts to just toys. ;) It's very important to me. I've been here since 2002.

BTW, what happened to you wanting 2Tb of backup space for PS5 games on an external SSD?

No, do it! :yes:I'm going with a 4Tb external SSD for the PS5 (approx 2Tb for the PS4 games I never delete and 2Tb backup space for PS5 games) and hold out on the NVMe as long as possible. I have no back catalog for Xbox so the Series X so that need is less urgent and I have a spare 4Tb HDD if push comes to shove.

Now that you can't do that & you can't install to the internal NVMe storage either, it sounds like you'll be forced to juggle games. Something you quite clearly wasn't expecting. Why aren't you giving Sony more grief?

Tommy McClain

There's genuine frustration with MS that they bang on about having the most powerful console ever but they have yet to show anything to back that up.

If this issue was the case on XSX then people might be concerned because MS are selling a proprietary add-on that works, whilst the non MS add-on didn't. But this isn't the case here. There's nothing to gain for Sony and they've never said you could do this so...

As for the expansion slot, Sony themselves said that drives would not be out until nearer the PS5 release - really this is like someone trying to make an issue that isn't there because...just because.

You spend most multiple times a day, for the past 13 years, reading & posting on a videogame forum that's not important to you? That's a lot of wasted time on what amounts to just toys. ;) It's very important to me. I've been here since 2002.

I absolutely love games but minor niggles don't bother me. If I did I would not have been gaming on consoles since the original PlayStation because all have had shite resolutions, shite frame rates and shite loading times compared to PC.

BTW, what happened to you wanting 2Tb of backup space for PS5 games on an external SSD?

Yeah, I still want that. But do you understand that I don't need that right now or anytime soon because the PS5 comes with 600Gb of free space and I don't buy that many games as I've said many times before, in terms of the hours I spend gaming, I'm a hardcore casual gamer. I'll play a games like Witcher, Cyberpunk, RDR2 and The Last of Us a lot in short spurts but other than these blockbusters, I'm not gaming much. I am not every gaming every day, every week or even every month.

This is just not an issue for me any time soon and I can't get exercised about it. I am more likely to slot in a 2Tb or 4Tb NVME drive into my PS5 long before I even run out of internal space. The external SSD is the absolute worst fallback because I just don't want to have to move games back and forth to play them.

Back