Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be flushing drive writes or kicking off TRIM runs for the SSD/NVME or other housekeeping tasks before it shuts down comletely, so when you hit power button again in that state it just wakes up. At least on last-gen Xbox consoles the power light would pulse in this mode.

hmm that is curious behaviour.
That is actually normal, you probably just don't notice it. When you power-up from 'cold', most of the hardware 'winds up' slowly in terms of power and heat and many more complex devices (incl. TVs) will not go from zero-to-60 instantly. Many devices won't fully power up until the capacitors are at optimal and this can take several seconds. Additionally, the device will not have time to assess it's environment like ambient temperature and even humidity in some cases and many devices monitor these. If it's already warm, it'll power up and become responsible much quicker.

Shove your laptop in a fridge and see how long it takes to boot from cold, it'll shock you.

Xbox One S I believe is in some semi standby mode if you power it on within a minute after you have shut it down as the logo with green background screen is not present.. I think that was the case.. Can't remember all details but I was a bit surprised.

That is actually normal, you probably just don't notice it. When you power-up from 'cold', most of the hardware 'winds up' slowly in terms of power and heat and many more complex devices (incl. TVs) will not go from zero-to-60 instantly. Many devices won't fully power up until the capacitors are at optimal and this can take several seconds. Additionally, the device will not have time to assess it's environment like ambient temperature and even humidity in some cases and many devices monitor these. If it's already warm, it'll power up and become responsible much quicker.

Shove your laptop in a fridge and see how long it takes to boot from cold, it'll shock you.
nice this is a great answer

DF reports here:
One final note on power: Rest Mode is extraordinarily efficient at just 1.5W average utilisation once the system is fully dormant

yup.. I think you're onto it. Explains the inconsistency on the suspend modes

What next gen games? We only have crossgen multiplats and even then no comparisons

Does that mean anything releasing on PC isn't considered next-gen, since the PC is such a wide variety of hardware capabilities and the titles usually scale?

Does that mean anything releasing on PC isn't considered next-gen, since the PC is such a wide variety of hardware capabilities and the titles usually scale?

Next gen games are title made with next-generation as minimal spec.

For example using raytracing for visual or non visual effect or using a LOD system based on mesh shader or PS5 geometry engine like the Nvidia meteor field demo and with all model with a high level of geometry, design the streaming and game design around SSD, use 3d audio into gameplay mechanism.

Next gen games are title made with next-generation as minimal spec.

For example using raytracing for visual or non visual effect or using a LOD system based on mesh shader or PS5 geometry engine like the Nvidia meteor field demo and with all model with a high level of geometry, design the streaming and game design around SSD, use 3d audio into gameplay mechanism.
hmm.. I do wonder when we'll see those. I suspect it won't be for another year or so, aside from exclusive titles that may have had enough time in advance with the kits and features to implement it.

Well since consoles dictate game design for multiplat titles id argue anything only on these next machines and pc.

Altho you may be right that lower range pcs may hold things back? Or devs will just lift requirements.

hmm.. I do wonder when we'll see those. I suspect it won't be for another year or so, aside from exclusive titles that may have had enough time in advance with the kits and features to implement it.

I suppose from maybe some end of 2022 and most of them from 2023. The games beginning development in second half of 2019/2020 will be the game to show what the consoles are really able to do.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not that hyped about SSDs at all. Feels like 2020 mobile phones to me, anything "objectively" fast is good enough for me. Seems like most of advantages will be visible to developers who are not designing levels and streaming tech like they had to up until now, but I literally don't care if loading is 2s, 5s or 10s. For me, if it's not frequent long loading - doesn't make 1% difference.

I remember loving GTA V first installation just to check artworks and stuff. I know it takes a while to load, but once its loaded I never thought "God if it only loaded 30s faster". Basically, I don't see why are people hung up on few seconds here or there, for me much bigger differentiator is ZEN2 CPU. Now THAT will make a big impact as I always felt 7th to 8th gen jump was mainly prettier textures and graphics, physics, ai and animations took backseat.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not that hyped about SSDs at all. Feels like 2020 mobile phones to me, anything "objectively" fast is good enough for me. Seems like most of advantages will be visible to developers who are not designing levels and streaming tech like they had to up until now, but I literally don't care if loading is 2s, 5s or 10s. For me, if it's not frequent long loading - doesn't make 1% difference.

I remember loving GTA V first installation just to check artworks and stuff. I know it takes a while to load, but once its loaded I never thought "God if it only loaded 30s faster". Basically, I don't see why are people hung up on few seconds here or there, for me much bigger differentiator is ZEN2 CPU. Now THAT will make a big impact as I always felt 7th to 8th gen jump was mainly prettier textures and graphics, physics, ai and animations took backseat.
It's relieving as many bottlenecks as possible so that the GPU is the only bottleneck, and graphics scale very easily compared to the other two. That's sort of the goal of this generation.

It's not just for load times. Where were you all those past months ?
And it's ssd tech + fast IO etc...
No, I understand its not just load times. Its more about game design, but I am saying its severely overhyped. This will mostly serve developers, which I am very glad for, but in general? Let's see. Most bottlenecks with game design were not related to streaming the data but actual CPU bound aspects IMO. Ok, few corridors or lift rides here and there, but I never considered it to be game breaking. But 8th gen games being literally souped up 7th gen with visuals? I blame Jaguar cores clocked at pathetic clocks more so then drives in those consoles.
It's relieving as many bottlenecks as possible so that the GPU is the only bottleneck, and graphics scale very easily compared to the other two. That's sort of the goal of this generation.
And I completely understand that, I am just saying its overstated how good this will make game look. Even if they put 1GB/s SSDs there they would not be a bottleneck. Now we are at a point where people are discussing 1-2s faster or slower load times...

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this went against what I thought the results would be.
In nearly all examples shown, XSX was faster. In some benchmarks, notably faster (like 2x)

I can't come up with any reasons. Going to need to wait to hear some thoughts from others.
edit: going to chalk this one up to BC restrictions on CPU or something for PS5. And XSX and XSS running unlocked all the way for their BC. Its the only thing I can think of for now. The alternative would be much worse.

The real battleground for load times will be when those 3P games come out this week, but this was an interesting look at things.

article:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/h...ompatibility-load-times-compare/1100-6484057/

BC load time comparisons between PS5 and XSX

Compared to itself this is interesting, so I think there is a BC bottleneck somewhere, but I'm not sure what.

I'm a little perplexed.

Most perplexing to me, around the 9:20 mark of this CNET PS5 review video, the load up time for The Last of Us 2 was 50 seconds longer on PS5 than PS4 Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back