Thinking of replacing my monitor for a bigger one, eyes are getting old.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I currently have a Dell u2312hm, but my eyes are starting to suck a bit more and I was thinking of getting a slightly larger one. Also want to try freesync and higher refresh rates, but I'm cool with 1920x1080.

Any good deals/recommendations? I have no clue what the market is like right now.

if your eyes are starting to go make sure you get 4k in a larger screen. It really helps a lot.

i was going to get the 40 inch vizo that came out this year for tv but the one feature its missing is free sync. I'm hoping next years model has it

48 inch 4k lg CX would be nice.

You can use it as ultra wide too. Just let the top 1/3 unused or put "things at a glance" there (clock, notes, calendar, etc).

I used to use 49 inch 4k and it's really nice for work stuff. Now I use 55 inch 4k and it's too wide, but windows 10 power toys window management solved that issue

I was thinking about a 27" screen or something, I'm still on a budget and my screen is about a 2 feet from my face.

I'm not sure how I feel about curved displays or ultra-wides. I had a lot of experience with WSGF so am a bit leery of odd display resolutions.

Thanks for the input so far though, it's just 32" seems massive to me!

What's Digi's budget? Cheap brands like Vizio, TCL, got 4k TV at 200-300 usd, I think. TCL on the US also way better and cheaper than the one in my country. On the US it got local dimming, roku os, etc.

On bestbuy Screenshot_20201107-072529.png
Dunno its the one with local dimming or not. You can check rtings for the tests

Seems cheaper than curved ultra wide Screenshot_20201107-072858.png

Edit: I missed Digi's post of 27-32 inch screen size. Yeah at that size, a monitor have better resolution & quality than a TV.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not looking for a TV. Definitely a monitor. 24" 1920x1080 is getting a little small, that's why I was just gonna bump the size up a bit.

Mebbe try 1440, but is it as well supported as 1080? The freesync and higher refresh rates I think would make a huge difference too.

Oh, and I checked and I got this monitor 7 years ago.

Yeah, I'm not looking for a TV. Definitely a monitor. 24" 1920x1080 is getting a little small, that's why I was just gonna bump the size up a bit.

Mebbe try 1440, but is it as well supported as 1080? The freesync and higher refresh rates I think would make a huge difference too.

Oh, and I checked and I got this monitor 7 years ago.

1440p with VRR would be awesome. Actually VRR is a must if you can't stand tearing and and don't want to be limited to the usual 60/30fps dichotomy.

Case in point, me: for some games my pc hovers at 50-60 fps at 1440p at high.

Because I don't have VRR display, I'm forced to lower some quality to medium to get it locked to 60fps. With VRR, I'll still be able to put the quality on high and the 50-60 fps range won't be an issue.

Edit:

Btw ultra wide is really nice. I don't have an ultra wide but sometimes I play games in windowed in ultra wide aspect ratio (I put emails, etc on the unused desktop area) and I don't miss the chopped off vertical field of view.

It seems games are designed more for horizontal fov than vertical fov. I think it only gets hectic only for titanfall 2.

Thanks Eastmen, I will. Great link, GREAT help! I am looking for a cheap-but-good deal and that's a perfect place for it.

I've only decided on things I don't want so far. I don't want a curved display, I don't see the advantage. Don't want too big of a display, anything 30+ is pushing it a bit I think but then again it's been 7 years since I bought a monitor so what do I know? I have an awful temptation to go to the local hardware store just to look at sizes/features, but this damned plague seems more important when I could just mock up the size with cardboard if I want. (Yeah, taking covid insanely seriously lately since my government stopped worrying about it and my country's infection rate is going through the roof. Some people I know are just learning what "geometric progression" means in a real world context, but in the most awful way possible)

I'm also trying to go cheap on this so it's not a piss-the-honey off type thing. I got 1-1/2" spacers I'm about to toss on her Jeep so her over-sized wheels she got can actually turn lock to lock without rubbing then I have a steering dampener coming later today to replace hers. It's literally bashed open from hitting a rock too hard, and while I'm down there I was gonna check a few crucial bolts to get rid of her death wobble. Then I have new rotors/pads/pins/bushings for my rear wheels I gotta put on, ( I didn't know my rear lower pins with the weird tip were supposed to have a rubber cap on them and it's either gone/stuck in the caliper so it borked my rear brakes, got all the right bits and a bit more knowledge this time.)

Once I do that I figure I can get away with a monitor under $200 without any issues, and I plan on having it all done by Thurs. Biggest problem is Jeep availability since she works, but once I fix my crunchy rear brakes she can take my car and I can do it all then.

Only thing is it got bloody cold suddenly. It was in the 60s all week for the last month, it's felt like 20-30k for the past 5 days since I got the parts. :|

Thanks again for the link East. I'll still fight you in RPSC, but that don't mean I think you're bad people. Hope you realize that. :love:

I would go for a 4k screen, especially for a bigger size (anything over 26”) that feels a must and it’s so much nicer to read and scaling looks much nicer as well ... but maybe I missed a part where you explain why that is not an option.

I have a 3 monitor set up. A 27inch curved 1080p monitor (work gave it to me for work from home and i removed a 24inch panel) I have a 24 inch panel next too it which is an ips 1080p. Then i have an older monoprice 32 inch 4k hdr monitor above both of them. The hdr is kinda lousy but I do love the larger screen.

I was thinking of buying a vizio 40 inch v series from costco its $230 and giving my nephew my 24 inch panel and putting the 32 inch in its place. The biggest con for the vizio is no variable refresh

Dell has a 24 inch on sale right now for $70 if you check the link i gave you

Yeah, it's basically the exact same monitor I have at Dell with slightly different inputs and a different base. I did notice that because the part numbers were close. LOL

How do you like the curved monitor? Is it a plus, minus, or just different? Did you take to it right away or have to get used to it.

The only advantage I see is glare reduction since it wouldn't be as flat a reflective surface, but I'm probably wrong and missing something on that one.

Don't want too big of a display, anything 30+ is pushing it a bit I think but then again it's been 7 years since I bought a monitor so what do I know?
Dependent on form factor IMO. For an ultrawide, 30"+ is a requirement since you are losing too much vertical space otherwise. A 34" ultrawide is similar to a 26" widescreen, just much wider.

This one sort of caught my eye, cheap but still a big upgrade for me. :)

EDITED BITS: Meant to post this yesterday but I guess I forgot to, came to this thread and the site had saved it to post. Kudos to the fine people who wrote such forgiving and thoughtful software. :love:

Back