Dirt 5 [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

To me, the value of those opinions becomes secondary when I can watch footage and make my own opinion about it.
I don't need to form all my opinions by borrowing them from others.
Unless you've been playing the game on next gen machines, so you're just looking at incomplete game footage really. You have no idea how old that build is. Many next gen games don't have their patches for next gen unlocked until day 0.

This is just whataboutism, and IMO a poorly founded one. Feel free to find a trapezoid like that on other games though.
Perhaps we could just accept that not everyone needs to agree with each other on whether the game looks good or not, and past the expression of our opinion we don't need to compete it against others'? It's not like you need to prove me wrong.
I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I'm just noting that there should be a conversation about moving forward on how we critique games, otherwise we're just plain sniping. We've done that for many generations now. All games have compromises somewhere, search hard enough you'll find it, and then it's a target for sniping. It doesn't really serve a purpose. In the words of Richard, even DF needs to find different and better ways of measuring games, because resolution is no longer a defining feature.

Not all games have the same budgets, same goals, same talent, same everything.

Coupled with the most important aspect, that we critique things for what they are aiming to be, not for what we want them to be.

Unless you've been playing the game on next gen machines, so you're just looking at incomplete game footage really. You have no idea how old that build is. Many next gen games don't have their patches for next gen unlocked until day 0.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I'm just noting that there should be a conversation about moving forward on how we critique games, otherwise we're just plain sniping. We've done that for many generations now. All games have compromises somewhere, search hard enough you'll find it, and then it's a target for sniping. It doesn't really serve a purpose. In the words of Richard, even DF needs to find different and better ways of measuring games, because resolution is no longer a defining feature.

Not all games have the same budgets, same goals, same talent, same everything.

Coupled with the most important aspect, that we critique things for what they are aiming to be, not for what we want them to be.

Sniping??

@iroboto I'm just not going to continue this conversation. Obviously the fact that a bunch of people on the internet don't like this game's visuals is bothering you.. but it's just not my problem, sorry.
I've spoken positively about everything else in the game, and I've even said its graphics are not just Codemasters' fault, but my opinion on the graphics isn't going to change even if I'm accused of sniping (or.. gasp.. my opinion dares to differ from DF's).
This game on the new-gen consoles looks no better or maybe even worse than past generation racers on previous-gen consoles in my opinion. There are very obvious problems with the art direction and assets in my opinion.
I'm 100% okay with your opinion being different and I'm not going to try to change it.

Lastly: it's just a videogame..

i spent hours in the ridge racer series on PS1 exploring each cm of each track, to look at the scenery !
"Photomode" is one of the best games of this gen for me !

Raise your hand if you play racing games & stop the action long enough to look at the scenery along the road? Anyone?

Tommy McClain
I'm only responding specifically to this point nothing else. If people couldn't notice they wouldn't be improving the graphics as that's been said for the last 30 years.

Maybe, may not consciously see it but your subconscious probably does.
It's why you can see the same game with different settings and know one looks better but can't put your finger on it sometimes.

I'm only responding specifically to this point nothing else. If people couldn't notice they wouldn't be improving the graphics as that's been said for the last 30 years.

Maybe, may not consciously see it but your subconscious probably does.
It's why you can see the same game with different settings and know one looks better but can't put your finger on it sometimes.

True, not disputing that. The difference can be noticeable, but I think we're getting to the point of diminishing returns. Either way I'm not going to say this racing game is any worse or better than others in its same class. And I'm surely not going to take the time to go through hours of video gameplay just to find that one rock that looks like shit.

Tommy McClain

Raise your hand if you play racing games & stop the action long enough to look at the scenery along the road? Anyone?

Tommy McClain
♂️♂️ I do. Have you seen those screenshots threads that blew up this Gen because of sharing button and photo mode? GT staple feature is a beautiful backdrop where you can take a gorgeous photo of your car and scenery. Driveclub did make for some beautiful car scenery as does Horizon. I do understand what you mean though, in the grand scheme of things, while you're moving through the world at high speeds, you seldom notice the little flaws. But in some games you do notice the lack of detail in texture and geometry.

I would say taking a screenshot for later viewing & stopping a racing game to look at scenery are 2 different things. But yes, you're probably I small percentage that gives a flip. The point of driving games is to drive through them & not nitpick it to death. The games are designed specifically with this in mind. Go looking for flaws & you will definitely find them. Their driving simulators, not walking simulators.

Tommy McClain

@Karamazov would raise his hand but he's probably playing a game and taking a screenshot, and likely composing it within the game camera, then doing it again four seconds later, haha! I'm amazed he finishes any games!

Back