AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

I'm confused why CDPR has stated that AMD cards won't support RT at launch then.

The reporting on that is misleading because the original source was for an interview done for a magazine published mid October prior to the RDNA2 series even being announced. Even now RNDA2 information is not fully disclosed and still under NDA, so unless it's a partnered/cross marketing situation it would not make sense (or even be possible, as unless specific partnerships exist the developer won't be privy to advanced information either) for a developer to discuss it in an official capacity.

upload_2020-11-3_16-20-14.png

@Rys just released v6.0 of the AMD GPU services
What's new in AGS 6.0 since version 5.4.2
AGS 6.0 includes the following updates:
  • DX12 ray tracing hit token for RDNA2 hardware.
  • Shader intrinsic that exposes ReadLaneAt in DX12.
  • Shader intrinsics that expose explicit float conversions in DX12.
  • Refactored and revised API to minimize user error.
  • Added agsGetVersionNumber.
  • Detection for external GPUs.
  • Detection of RDNA2 architecture.
  • Grouped the more established intrinsics together into per year support.
  • Function pointer typedefs for the API

Looks like there are games where it won't work, depending on the amount of TWIMTBP-infection they have.

You mean the games using Nvidia’s Vulkan extensions because the main Vulkan api doesn’t support RT yet? I know it’s fun to hate on Nvidia but I don’t think this is one of those times.

What we don’t know is whether the DirectX/DXR games have any proprietary cruft. That would be quite stupid if they did.

You mean the games using Nvidia’s Vulkan extensions because the main Vulkan api doesn’t support RT yet? I know it’s fun to hate on Nvidia but I don’t think this is one of those times.

What we don’t know is whether the DirectX/DXR games have any proprietary cruft. That would be quite stupid if they did.

Yep. Vulkan didn't have a ray tracing api until March 2020. Up until that point it was NV extensions only. Wolfenstein Youngblood added ray tracing in January 2020, before the Vulkan api was available.

Can they (imaginary game studio) really claim its DX12U/DXR compliant game if it uses some weird vendor exclusive extensions that break it to the point where it only works on a single vendor? Not sure how MS feels about that.

Can they (imaginary game studio) really claim its DX12U/DXR compliant game if it uses some weird vendor exclusive extensions that break it to the point where it only works on a single vendor? Not sure how MS feels about that.

I think so. DirectX games use proprietary stuff all the time. Gameworks, nvapi etc.

I thought that some early "RTX" titles used some proprietary Nvidia Optix libraries to integrate raytracing. I'll honestly be surprised if every non-Vulkan game works out-of-the-box with RDNA2.

I thought that some early "RTX" titles used some proprietary Nvidia Optix libraries to integrate raytracing. I'll honestly be surprised if every non-Vulkan game works out-of-the-box with RDNA2.

I'm not sure. Maybe Minecraft RTX? Is it vulkan or d3d? I thought Direct3D did not allow proprietary extensions, so anything would be built on top of DXR, which should make it run on pretty much any family of gpu.

I'm not sure. Maybe Minecraft RTX? Is it vulkan or d3d? I thought Direct3D did not allow proprietary extensions, so anything would be built on top of DXR, which should make it run on pretty much any family of gpu.
Aren't things like GameWorks, NVAPI etc "on top" of Direct3D?

I'm talking about DXR specifically.

They could still claim DXR support. Using Microsoft's api technically doesn't prevent you from requiring other apis in your game.

Aren't things like GameWorks, NVAPI etc "on top" of Direct3D?

Some of the shader based stuff like TXAA and HBAO is based on DirectX. I think the physics stuff (Flow, Flex) uses CUDA though.

Metro Exodus...would be surprised/shocked if RT ran out of the box on AMD GPUs..

I fear for Cyberpunk to be honest. CDProjekt Red has a history of using nvidia-centric optimizations that hurt performance on AMD GPUs, like Hairworks on Witcher 3.

I fear for Cyberpunk to be honest. CDProjekt Red has a history of using nvidia-centric optimizations that hurt performance on AMD GPUs, like Hairworks on Witcher 3.
Agreed, I think people are going to be surprised at the number of titles that will be available. Publishers aren't going to update past titles either.

Well I guess it's good MS is buying all the game studios then. You won't see any GameWorks in those titles. It could be detrimental to Vulkan adoption though.

I'd be surprised if there were not some sort of legal clauses for all explicit RTX titles (some form of MDF agreement that is mutually beneficial for nVidia and the game devs themselves). What I mean, there can be no technical obstacles for those titles to run on the other DXR capable GPUs without any modifications but the devs might have to officially deny that or even implement some measures to prevent their products from running on an "unauthorized" hardware if it's permissible by law.

Back