Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I don't see this happening. If I've built a game for PS4 and it works fine on PS4 then years after I've stopped updating it because I've moved onto other projects, Sony approach me to say this doesn't work on PS5 I don't see that as my problem. That's Sony's problem for not having a better b/c solution. Nor am I revisiting a codebase I've not touched for three years. :nope:

Maybe I'll think twice about releasing further games on Sony consoles if Sony expect me to maintain the game in perpetuity so it runs on hardware not available to me when I develop the damn game.

Well, if Sony can cover the costs of that, I don’t see it as a huge problem.

Pretty sure BC is handled by the developers. Sony would just identify a game with the problem but the developer would have to deal with BC and maybe some assistance from Sony.

Those initial 10 games that weren't listed for BC were all referred to the developers to fix.
BC is handled by Sony!
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/dev_eager_to_fix_ps4_game_not_backwards_compatible_with_ps5
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...ll_receive_ps5_backwards_compatibility_update
Two developers from the PS4-only list are working on patches to fix backwards compatibility

Well, if Sony can cover the costs of that, I don’t see it as a huge problem.
Revisiting a complex software project you may have worked on 5-6 years ago using techniques that were sound in your mind at the time but which you've since learned are dumb and looking at a codebase with minimal comments and documentation and trying to work what the hell does what. Definitely an issue. :yes: Anybody here who has revisited years old code will instantly recognise that looping-WTF thought process as you review your old code wondering did you really write this crap, and how does this even work and will it continue to work if you change things because it's basically a murder hornet nest of binary insanity. :runaway:

Then you try to recompile changing nothing but all the middleware libraries have updated, because those old libraries don't support the modern runtime environment, and now you have 702 warning messages from the compiler. If you're lucky it's only a few hundred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revisiting a complex software project you may have worked on 5-6 years ago using techniques that were sound in your mind at the time but which you've since learned are dumb and looking at a codebase with minimal comments and documentation and trying to work what the hell does what. Definitely an issue. :yes: Anybody here who has revisited years old code will instantly recognise that looping-WTF thought process as you review your old code wondering did you really write this crap, and how does this even work and will it continue to work if you change things because it's basically a murder hornet nest of binary insanity. :runaway:

Then you try to recompile changing nothing but all the middleware libraries have updated, because those old libraries don't support the modern runtime environment, and now you have 702 warning messages from the compiler. If you're lucky it's only a few hundred.

Are you suggesting that a programmer's code documentation is insufficient?! :D
(I may not be a programmer, but the ones I do know wander between laughing and crying at reviewing old, undocumented code.)

it is scary how accurate this post is.

the only thing you’re missing is: original developer is too busy on another project. Sub-contracts the conversion to another developer to do it. That developer runs into the same issues as above but has 0 understanding of the code.

and now we are complete.

Last edited:
I don't see this happening. If I've built a game for PS4 and it works fine on PS4 then years after I've stopped updating it because I've moved onto other projects, Sony approach me to say this doesn't work on PS5 I don't see that as my problem. That's Sony's problem for not having a better b/c solution. Nor am I revisiting a codebase I've not touched for three years. :nope:

Maybe I'll think twice about releasing further games on Sony consoles if Sony expect me to maintain the game in perpetuity so it runs on hardware not available to me when I develop the damn game.
And yet you have developers reply and say they aren't sure why it isn't working but they will try make a patch before the PS5 releases i.e. DWVR, he says that it uses UE4 so he isn't sure why it's not working as many other games using the engine does work.

the developer of DWVR – a PlayStation VR first-person shooter – is working on a patch to fix the release’s incompatibility with the PlayStation 5. .. a member of Mad Triangles said: “I’m working on a patch to fix the issue. Hopefully, it can arrive before the PS5 releases.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/dev_eager_to_fix_ps4_game_not_backwards_compatible_with_ps5

Shawen developer says he won't fix the problem and has no intention to fix it.

The dev also doesn't have any plans to patch PS5 backwards compatibility support into the title — something the team behind DWVR is eager to do. "We're not doing updates to Shadwen on any platform, so debugging this issue or creating a new version would take quite a lot of effort. Therefore we have decided to keep Shadwen as a PS4 only game."

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/why_shadwen_wont_be_backwards_compatible_on_ps5

Last edited:
Just saw this after I posted the above but how is BC handled by the Sony when the devs are saying they will look at getting patches out? Sony did the tests to see which games worked and which didn't. They then reported to the game devs to fix. Some will, some won't.

Only games I see Sony working on BC for is their own 1P titles.

Last edited:

So you're saying devs will hand over the entire game code to Sony to fix?

Sure, here's all our trade secrets, engine, and documentation. I'm sure my shareholders wouldn't mind that.

Just saw this after I posted the above but how is BC handled by the Sony when the devs are saying they will look at getting patches out? Sony did the tests to see which games worked and which didn't. They then reported to the game devs to fix. Some will, some won't.

Only games I see Sony working on BC for is their own 1P titles.

Again, I may be on a bit crude, but ‘handled by Sony’ to me means ‘paid for by Sony’. They’ll cover whatever it will cost the devs (in man hours etc) to get the patch done and call it a day. That’s what I would do.

Again, I may be on a bit crude, but ‘handled by Sony’ to me means ‘paid for by Sony’. They’ll cover whatever it will cost the devs (in man hours etc) to get the patch done and call it a day. That’s what I would do.
Yes. As that was me. Sony will provision funds if they deem it important. The original developer will receive the funds via a publisher etc; but it may not necessarily mean it’s converted by them.
I was brought in to do this exactly basically.

Must atleast say that im more excited for the PS5 then PS3 and 4, their launches went under the radar for me, didnt even notice those consoles basically. Probably due to the lack of games. PS2 (and OG xbox) where the last intresting consoles to me as a pc gamer. They offered graphics never seen before. Now its not the graphics anymore so much but the exclusive games and controller, also the fast loading. Whats missing is a SSX PS exclusive with next gen graphics at launch like the ps2. That game BC would be something atleast but ok :p

Back