Cherno Reactions Reactions *spawn* [2020]

it has features even the pc doesn't have in addition to
2Zs4LP_0PcsiHxJ00
Colin responded to me there actually and the PC Version is being updated to included settings to add in things like ssgi and contact shadows. So the XSX will indeed not have anything above the PC version.

If you’re referring to my comments, they relate to the Halo video.

Tom’s Dirt video is fine.
Please explain to me how a video entirely negative about how halo infinite does not look good is "damage control". The halo video describes simply that there is a difference in game design and tech that is quired when a game chooses to use real time lighting ONLY. There is a compromise made to fidelity of lighting, and esepcially in shadowed regions of an image when the lighting has to be moveable and changable in real time. That difference means that material correctness, ocontrast, and a whole lot of things look a lot worse in shadowed regions in games that use traditional real time lighting. Halo Infinite looks a lot worse in those areas because its choice to use traditional real time lighting techniques and have a dynamic time of day. The video then further describes how the game's high resolution and framerate requirement (circa 4K at 60 fps) and how it targetting base xbox one as well is dragging down the visuals in other areas (the popin and LODs and general model quality). THe video then offered up a partial solution to fix the lighting issue by using ray traced gobal illumination, lumen, or some other screen tracing to make the real time lighting in indirect shadowed regions look better. I demonstrated that effect by showing metro exodus with ray traced GI on and off and showed how it suffered from very similar problems as halo infinite in its normal rasterised lighting as that game has real time fully real time lighting as well. I then say that such a solution would only fix that one problem perhaps and all others would persist.

And why that damages DF Brand? As I See it, it is literally one of the most negative Videos we ever made about a aaa game. And as far as I have Heard from other devs, it points out quite well how their is a Design conflict between Real time lighting and shadowing in games and static lighting.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, no "next-gen" looking games for the SeriesX have been shown, nor are there any solid release dates for when these will be coming for the console at the moment. There's not even a single game with raytracing enabled at launch, apparently.
This goes hand-in-hand with all the rumors claiming the PS5's devkits came well ahead and more mature than the SeriesX ones, and also with the fact that Microsoft's H1 2020 demo reels said they were running on PCs whereas Sony's said they were running on the PS5.

Microsoft's messaging for this generation was spot-on IMO, but the next-gen content is nowhere to be seen. I think this is what's leaving The Cherno so frustrated, and why he seems increasingly aggressive for each SeriesX trailer he's been asked to review.
The problem (for me) is that they kept on going on about all this power and so far we've not seen it. I think back to the bearded guy and the XSS video - essentially how are MS going to show 3x the power of the XSS after that!?

Thought you had watched it.

Halo and that video, you can't really say are good examples of even what you would expect from a crossgen title.

I feel the need to reiterate that I'm not saying dirt is a bad game, but that footage especially isn't something I would use as something to show off XSX.

Trouble is there isn't really anything, even gameplay trailer of games coming in the future that are running on XSX.

I've not watched the XSX Gears one, but wouldn't be surprised if it's currently the best example at the moment.
Should be some decent captures soon now that it's been whitelisted.
Not sure how many of you subscribe to DF Patreon, but the 4K video on Dirt 5 is heads and shoulders above in quality over the one recorded by IGN. They have no clue wtf they are doing over there. Dirt 5 properly recorded actually looks pretty good. It's not going to beat out the next Frostbyte title, but it's certainly can compete. There are areas where texturing needs work but it's not as bad as that youtube video.

And why that damages DF Brand? As I See it, it is literally one of the most negative Videos we ever made about a aaa game.
Dude, you totally missed the memo saying we live in the generation of hyperboles.
If it's not the worst gameplay footage you've ever seen, then the video isn't negative enough. ;)

Though I guess you should save that language for the analysis of the new Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trailer.

As for Yan Chernikov's off-handed comments on your Halo Infinite video, I agree that those weren't very productive.
Perhaps you could all turn them into something productive if you just ask him what he doesn't agree with and why. He seems like an accessible guy (at least his youtube persona does).

Not sure how many of you subscribe to DF Patreon, but the 4K video on Dirt 5 is heads and shoulders above in quality over the one recorded by IGN. They have no clue wtf they are doing over there. Dirt 5 properly recorded actually looks pretty good. It's not going to beat out the next Frostbyte title, but it's certainly can compete. There are areas where texturing needs work but it's not as bad as that youtube video.

Yeah, the irony of the cleaner image was that the repeated textures were a bit of an easy spot...outside that I don't think it looks too bad and hopefully will be fun to play.

Yeah, the irony of the cleaner image was that the repeated textures were a bit of an easy spot...outside that I don't think it looks too bad and hopefully will be fun to play.
yea, but at least it doesn't look like a game with no texture filtering on.
lol. When you see pristine texture detail everywhere, it provides a very good 'next-gen' feel right off the bat. When everything is a blurry mess, your mind immediately goes back to last gen or this gen.

Here's Tom narrating the upgrades to Dirt 5. Mind you, all this commentary is certainly much more agreeable with the HVEC download, their youtube is better than most, but still a ways out from their HVEC quality.

02:38 physics are rewritten since onrush while
02:41 track detail is ramped up enormously
02:44 the engine is far more scalable too
02:45 factoring in current gym machines as
02:47 usual
02:48 but also now series s x and pc it even
02:51 includes a four player split screen mode
02:53 something we just rarely see in racing
02:55 games these days
02:56 oh and to top it off a new playground
02:58 mode lets you build and share custom
03:00 levels
03:01 more on that later
03:05 the first thing that strikes you about
03:06 dirt 5 is its terrain
03:08 from the gravel of an italian mountain
03:10 route with this tessellated effect
03:12 to the reflective mud tracks of a china
03:14 circuit every location is crammed with
03:17 detail
03:18 there's a great three-dimensionality to
03:20 the ground and most of this
03:21 is best seen from the bumper cam
03:23 onrush's workflow depended on
03:25 photogrammetry capture taken from drone
03:27 footage

and then you watch the same 4k60 garbage that IGN put out. And you're just confused AF as to what Tom is referring to here. Game looks like there is no AF once you go more than 2m infront.
If you compare it to what Cherno is referring to here, he's actually largely bitching at so much of the issues regarding the terrain. Which IGN encoder did nothing really but make the video look even worse.

Last edited:
Here's Tom narrating the upgrades to Dirt 5. Mind you, all this commentary is certainly much more agreeable with the HVEC download, their youtube is better than most, but still a ways out from their HVEC quality.

and then you watch the same 4k60 garbage that IGN put out. And you're just confused AF as to what Tom is referring to here. Game looks like there is no AF once you go more than 2m infront.
If you compare it to what Cherno is referring to here, he's actually largely bitching at so much of the issues regarding the terrain. Which IGN encoder did nothing really but make the video look even worse.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

The mud and water splatters look like 2D effects, the dust clouds leaving the tires come up on a completely different lighting than their surroundings creating that off-putting "Hanna-Barbera" effect, the cars' general shading really looks horrible with everything looking super shiny and squeaky clean regardless of lighting and weather conditions, the vegetation looks like something brought from a >10 year-old speedtree library, and how bad the geometry gets to be is really only explainable through a screenshot that I even took from DF's supposedly good footage:

P3KFqoB.png

pHiCswL.png

And this block of terrain arrived directly from 1999 has nothing to do with video compression. Youtube is perfectly fine to detect this stuff and it's not a 50Mbps HEVC video stream that is going to bring more triangles to this.. thing.

This just doesn't look like a decent looking videogame for the 2013 consoles, let alone for a cross-gen one coming in 2020.
Sure, maybe the game is super fun but that's not what The Cherno is evaluating in his reactions.

My main problem with Dirt 5 is the screen-tearing. When the graphics are starting to look OK with some nice reflections and bad weather then suddenly the screen tearing is breaking the illusion and it reminds me of a PS3 game.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

The mud and water splatters look like 2D effects, the dust clouds leaving the tires come up on a completely different lighting than their surroundings creating that off-putting "Hanna-Barbera" effect, the cars' general shading really looks horrible with everything looking super shiny and squeaky clean regardless of lighting and weather conditions, the vegetation looks like something brought from a >10 year-old speedtree library, and how bad the geometry gets to be is really only explainable through a screenshot that I even took from DF's supposedly good footage:

P3KFqoB.png

pHiCswL.png

And this block of terrain arrived directly from 1999 has nothing to do with video compression. Youtube is perfectly fine to detect this stuff and it's not a 50Mbps HEVC video stream that is going to bring more triangles to this.. thing.

This just doesn't look like a decent looking videogame for the 2013 consoles, let alone for a cross-gen one coming in 2020.
Sure, maybe the game is super fun but that's not what The Cherno is evaluating in his reactions.
The geometry yes, is not perfect. But that wasn't his only gripe. That's also not the major hit against looking next gen. He's much more critical about it here.

I'm referring to exactly this:

And that's all video compression problems.

These are pulls from DF video at HVEC quality, I reduced the resolution to 1080p for the sake of this site.
But still, this is a world apart from the crap you're looking at on IGN. On my b7 screen with HDR and 4K, this looks significantly better than this POS BenQ monitor I'm posting with.

Please let me know what you think of the car shaders as well as track view distance and quality. So much detail was lost reducing from 4K. Ie last screen shot you lose out on the name of the car beside the license plate to the right. That's very clear at 4K raw. I just want to point out, that yea, it's not the best looking racing game I've ever seen. But common, I think if Cherno saw this at 4K, he's respect it a lot more than the IGN video.

3AGeps5.png

Yt96CRN.png

dGZGILP.png

ex2B5Rj.png

it's a cross gen launch game, i was just responding to that claim about mobile graphics.

at ps4 launch CoD: Ghosts was not vastly superior to PS360 versions.

now compare it to 2019 CoD.
Was tongue in cheek.

Pretty much everyone has agreed the title of video was pretty click baity.
But the content of his video based on footage he was given most people agree with.

Being cross gen had little to do with it.
He has been begging for some xsx games to critique and that is what he was given cross gen or not.
That's like saying cross gen can't look good yet the smaller trailer I just posted and some of the others posted proves it's far from as bad as that original example.

The geometry yes, is not perfect. But that wasn't his only gripe. That's also not the major hit against looking next gen. He's much more critical about it here.

I'm referring to exactly this:

And that's all video compression problems.

I haven't seen the DF hq video, but even I knew those were low quality video transcode issues, and I'm a hobbyest goober. He's either unable to identify or understand this, or choses to feign ignorance to drive a click bait agenda.

And the whole "I don't know if this is good footage or not I just got sent it please leave a comment and admire my edge lol" doesn't work for me. To film, edit, and publish a video where your credibility as a professional is the hook, but to spend not even 10 seconds checking how representative or accurate the source you're evaluating is, is pretty bad.

In any remotely professional or academic environment you would be evicerated for this. Wilful ignorance is not a defence for saying things that are, frankly, a bit dumb. I haven't seen many of his videos, but this is is the opposite of what you'd want on your C. V.

Currently, I'm edging towards the idea that he knew exactly what he was doing by misinterpreting what were obviously the effects of a shitty stream, because the alternative is frankly even more depressing.

A great looking game doesn't need super high quality footage to show it off. Dirt 5 is not a great looking game. It's usually looking OK. GT7 on PS4 (and 60fps) usually looks better than this.

A great looking game doesn't need super high quality footage to show it off. Dirt 5 is not a great looking game. It's usually looking OK. GT7 on PS4 (and 60fps) usually looks better than this.
You mean GTS?
GT7 isn't coming to PS4?

And I agree, to some extent, yes it's true you don't need super high quality footage to show off a game. See Driveclub.

But I don't think anywhere here has made that type of commentary. We're just discussing whether half of how harsh he was, was actually justified enough to call it a mobile game.

Back