Microsoft Xbox Series X|S Storage Cards

I hope Richard & crew at DF take one apart & figure out how it works. Would be cool if you could make your own from a standard M.2 SSD. Put it in a special housing & off you go.

Tommy McClain

My plan for dealing with 1TB internal reaching capacity is replacing the external 4TB HDD with a larger one and using the 2TB SSD as the warm-spare staging area for Xbox Series X optimized games. That is if I have some I may play from time to time but not weekly. The external HDD will be for cold storage.

Let's hope other manufacturers come along to force competition. Definitely going to put off the purchase of one for as long as possible.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09...xbox-series-s-custom-storage-solution-primer/

Xbox Wire: Will all Storage Expansion Cards come from Seagate or could we see them from other companies as well?

Jason Ronald: Seagate, with a storied history as a critical innovator in the storage industry, was our first choice to collaborate with to provide expandable storage solutions for the Xbox Velocity Architecture. Xbox is continuing to invest in the Expandable Storage category on Xbox Series X|S with goal of offering choice for Xbox fans, including additional capacities and implementations in the future.

Xbox Wire: Let’s start with the size of games and how that relates to Xbox Series X|S?

Jason Ronald: A significant portion of the overall size of a game is comprised of texture data. As Xbox Series S was designed with a performance target of 1440p at 60 FPS with support for up to 120 FPS, many games will not require their highest level of 4K textures resulting in smaller game sizes overall, often up to 30% smaller on average.

I mean if you are digital only the store itself acts as cold storage....
With external local storage, especially if you use SSD, you probably can transfer a 50GB games from your external SSD to internal storage in less than 1 minute. It would take much longer to re-download the game.
I do wish they also implement smart delivery when you want to grab a game from your local storage. You pick a game that you want to play from your cold storage, it downloaded the menu or something, thus you can enter the game while the transfer is happening in the bg.

with goal of offering choice for Xbox fans, including additional capacities and implementations in the future.
What does implementations mean?

So far all the console prices lined up to my guesses, but this is crazy expensive.

I'm guessing it will drop in price reasonably quickly but still.

Another reason why full fat usb would've been nice, but for most people i dont think juggling with usb hdd/sdd will be a major issue.
Especially if they make some updates to mobile app and ui so to handle it smoothly.

What does implementations mean?

So far all the console prices lined up to my guesses, but this is crazy expensive.

I'm guessing it will drop in price reasonably quickly but still.

Another reason why full fat usb would've been nice, but for most people i dont think juggling with usb hdd/sdd will be a major issue.
Especially if they make some updates to mobile app and ui so to handle it smoothly.

I'm assuming other manufacturers offering products, implementing the solution Microsoft has to keep the drive cool and guarantee performance. There's other Q&A on that page, so his answer flows a bit better if you read it.

My plan for dealing with 1TB internal reaching capacity is replacing the external 4TB HDD with a larger one and using the 2TB SSD as the warm-spare staging area for Xbox Series X optimized games. That is if I have some I may play from time to time but not weekly. The external HDD will be for cold storage.

I will also have a 3 level storage hierarchy when I move my SSD and 2.5inch HDD over. Too bad they only support USB3.1 Gen1 which was a bad move. USB-C with Thunderbolt would have been nice.

Back