How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Can we get a count on the forum who got their pre-orders? Maybe a poll? The breakdown probably all $500 models, but would still be neat to see how many who tried & failed to get theirs.

Tommy McClain

If you don't mind, maybe an RTX 3000 series census option as well.

MS was offering employees 15% off the xss/x(254/424) and 50% off accessories and they crashed the site lool

They also have cool Scarlett T shirts and a hoodie but I don't know if i want to spend $22 bucks on a shirt and 50 on a hoodie
Ha ha ha....

Amazon didn't do it any favors by not really having a page or section for next-gen for either Sony or Microsoft, at least not that I could find.

Anybody go All Access? The Microsoft Store pre-order page for the Xbox Series X actually updated with a link to the All Access order page about 2 minutes before the main orders went live. Looks like All Access Series X pre-orders are out of stock, but All Access Series S might have some stock left. The button doesn't show Out of Stock, but it's not letting me get past it either.

Tommy McClain

Amazon didn't do it any favors by not really having a page or section for next-gen for either Sony or Microsoft, at least not that I could find.

The PS5 actually came up on regular searches, that was a fighting chance I feel, on Amazon UK anyway.

For Series X you needed to find their gen9 page somehow (I never did whilst browsing / searching) and on there at the bottom was the link.
Also I think people who used smile had a very decent headstart to grab the allocation. I saw folks claim upto 30 mins which is an eon during pre order stampede.

I was fully invested in buying through Amazon, on a few chats about pre orders and failed to even locate the listing in time let alone play checkout roulette.

Anybody go All Access? The Microsoft Store pre-order page for the Xbox Series X actually updated with a link to the All Access order page about 2 minutes before the main orders went live. Looks like All Access Series X pre-orders are out of stock, but All Access Series S might have some stock left. The button doesn't show Out of Stock, but it's not letting me get past it either.

Tommy McClain

Tried in the UK via game website and their site crashed and burnt to the ground, it was still Mia about 2 hours later so doubt there was any stock left to use for all access even if you did complete it.

Gave up early on that and it seems folks were having issues for hours and no idea if later transactions will be available at launch

"sign up with retailers for updates, and expect more consoles to be available on November 10." makes it sound like they will have more available on release but not for pre-orders?

Correct.
As noted earlier. MS sent their entire allotment numbers for pre-order today. All retailers were provided full allotment from now to Nov 10. This is what the employee told me.

The allotment was very large compared to PS5. Sony is doing it per block, but the employee at two stores told me he has no idea when the next allotment will arrive. So I’m left to guess or jump as soon as we hear it’s in. I gotta drive to mall ASAP

Man! You put my heart in my throat! I was actually desperately reading through my email receipt!

Correct.
As noted earlier. MS sent their entire allotment numbers for pre-order today. All retailers were provided full allotment from now to Nov 10. This is what the employee told me.

The allotment was very large compared to PS5. Sony is doing it per block, but the employee at two stores told me he has no idea when the next allotment will arrive. So I’m left to guess or jump as soon as we hear it’s in. I gotta drive to mall ASAP

The allotments were larger than for PS5? They just seem so scarce I thought the numbers would be about even.

Man! You put my heart in my throat! I was actually desperately reading through my email receipt!

The allotments were larger than for PS5? They just seem so scarce I thought the numbers would be about even.
Yup. At least according to the employees I talked to. But that’s because they aren’t sending a second block

They do for the Series X but your couldn't preorder from it.

I had to search for "Xbox Series X preorder" on Google which pulled up articles that provided all the preorder links to applicable retailers. I got through the Target website, placed the order into the cart and went "Naw" at the last second. LOL.

I just have never been a fan of the preorder scheme. I give money now for something that you will give me weeks or months later? Fuck that. When I shell out money, I want whatever I bought in short order.

I am perfectly willing to wait.

They do for the Series X but your couldn't preorder from it.

I had to search for "Xbox Series X preorder" on Google which pulled up articles that provided all the preorder links to applicable retailers.

Searching directly on Amazon didn't/doesn't show any results for it. The only landing page for it I found was listed on other sites pointing to it. Real cluster fuck failure by Amazon.

The other retail sites had it pretty clearly hilighted and listed clearly. Only Amazon failed.

I pre-ordered an XSX from one of the three EB Games in my city of 300k people. The store I went to was allocated about 50 XSX (I was number 40 or so) and only about 5 XSS. My guess is that city wide EB got 100/10 units.

Good price in Canada $600 ~ $450 US

My take is that MS is making the hard-core get the X and saving the S for the Christmas shopping season.

I'm already paying for my brother's GamePass, so I'll like get him an XSX through All-Access if the pricing is good when revealed in Canada.

Naming virtually every other console 'X' is a biggest factor here. There will be a decent number of embarrassed moms and frustrated kids this holiday for want of a less confusing name.

Back