Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no reason games can't support it from day 1 to speed up load times which can obviously scale from the slowest HDD to the fastest NVMe.

In terms of high speed streaming changing a games design in ways that can't scale down to slower drives, I can't see many games doing that outside of a hand full of PS5 exclusives for at least the next few years because all multiplatform and xbox exclusives will need to support slower PC configs too. It might be the case that some games would implement Oblivion style load screens where systems with faster IO would not.

Except many (most, all?) PS5 exclusives are also coming to PS4 for the next 1-2 years at least, so they'll also need to be designed with a way to operate on significantly slower HDDs than PC. I still fully expect them to target the PS5, but scaling is a wonderful thing that allows you to scale things down when needed.

Regards,
SB

Except many (most, all?) PS5 exclusives are also coming to PS4 for the next 1-2 years at least

Atleast indeed, sony boss jim ryan promises a 3/4 years cross gen period, while some are still in denial, i doubt he was lying. Spiderman will have the same general look to it on ps5 as ps4. Same for fw, sackboy and probably GoW as it comes very quick like DF noted, most likely ceoss gen too.
By looks of the visuals of R&C/DS, probably these too.

This leaves loading times as the main differentiator that PS5 should always be ahead in. But again. When streamed through PSNow, will someone notice if something loads in 0.5 seconds versus 1 second? 1 second instead of 2 seconds?
It's not just loads, it's data that is streaming during gameplay. If you bank of your game being able to reliably stream in 5Gb of geometry, assets and shaders and it can't, it's going to look a mess because no dev is designing their games to accommodate slower speeds than PS5's SSD offers.

Except many (most, all?) PS5 exclusives are also coming to PS4 for the next 1-2 years at least
It's three games. Three. Not most, nor even many. Three.

this is one of my favourite DF interviews, just because they talk face to face to a developer, and how they suffered to get there and stuff.

I'd definitely like to see more video interviews from them in the future. Some of the more memorable interviews were articles, which might just be to do with where DF were at the time.

(Odd for me to prefer video to text tbh. The internet must be ruining my brain. It wasn't great to start with)

MS and Nvidia have worked together to form a solution that's superior in terms of IO.

PC gaming will always provide the superior gaming experience with the right hardware, however, I feel motherboard manufacturers (along with Intel's, AMD's and Nvidia's input) should be the one's providing the uniformed/unifying standards and logic on supporting Microsofts's DirectStorage API and next-generation PC SSD profiles. This will reduce the headaches associated with proprietary hardware and increase developer usage/adoption rate across the PC platform. Having GPU card manufacturers providing competing and conflicting SSD I/O controller standards, doesn't usually work in the best interest of developers or consumers within the PC space, IMHO.

Question I'd like Rich to have asked - do the S|X still have little bits of hardware to enable 360 BC? Are they powerful enough to avoid this?

John says that the next intro to the next DF video will be the finest intro ever to a DF video. lol awaiting @Dictator to show the goods.

edit: @Dictator has outdone himself.

Hahaha, good job @Dictator that intro was hilarious. And good on you for spotting every single major difference and showing them up clearly for all to see. As a guy in the YT comments said "Alex put more work into comparing thia to tbe original than Saber seems to have". I'm glad your eandearement for crytek and the original crysis did not cloud your better judgement.

Hahaha, good job @Dictator that intro was hilarious. And good on you for spotting every single major difference and showing them up clearly for all to see. As a guy in the YT comments said "Alex put more work into comparing thia to tbe original than Saber seems to have". I'm glad your eandearement for crytek and the original crysis did not cloud your better judgement.
Thanks!
To you as well @iroboto

That video was quite the undertaking - I found myself thinking about it before I went to bed, dreaming about it, and then waking up thinking about it immediately for almost a week. Uff!

March 4, 2020
based on Dictator's work, I created a 165fps aggressive profille -too aggressive with a max drop of 0.25, but I installed a 1060 3GB that someone gave me some time ago, which has sentimental value, just for testing, so I wanted it to run at 165fps all the time no matter what-.

rs_enable 3
rs_dropMilliseconds 5.27
rs_raiseMilliseconds 5.0
rs_dropFraction 0.10
rs_raisefraction 0.01
rs_minimumResolutionScale 0.25
rs_forceFractionX 0
rs_forceFractionY 0

Does this still work on Doom Eternal? I have Doom 2016 on console and on steam but didn't buy Doom Eternal yet.

Microsoft is absolutely killing it with their games and support of other gaming systems. It's amazing what can be done with game scaling across even vastly different hardware even if it needs some finely tuned approaches.

Here's the intro portion from the Digital Foundry Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...of-the-wisps-switch-inside-an-impossible-port

Ori And The Will of the Wisps Switch Analysis: Inside An 'Impossible' Port
A stunning game runs at 60fps on a handheld - but how?

Moon Studios' Ori and the Will of the Wisps received critical acclaim when it released earlier this year and for good reason - its tight platforming action, gorgeous environments and evocative musical score serve as the foundation for one of the best 2D action games of the generation. It's a phenomenal follow-up to an already tremendous original game, and now, remarkably, that experience has transferred seamlessly to Nintendo Switch with few visual compromises. You can stack the game up against Xbox One X and it still looks great - and unlike many of these Switch miracle ports, it still runs at its original 60 frames per second.

Quite how developers are able to extract so much from Nintendo's hybrid has always been a matter of mystery and wonder for us, but this time we're able to offer an insight into how this technological achievement was delivered. I had the chance to speak extensively with Gennadiy Korol - the game's lead engineer and studio co-founder - who shared insights into the creation of Ori and the Will of the Wisps along with the techniques used to deliver what is surely one of Switch's greatest ports.

When first looking at Ori, you might be forgiven for thinking it's a simple 2D game - one that would run with ease on any modern platform - but this couldn't be further from the truth. The fact is, modern graphics engines are typically designed to accelerate 3D graphics. Z-buffering, early occlusion, order independent transparency, draw call batching and more are all tools developers can use to improve performance in modern 3D games. With a 2D game like Ori, most of this isn't applicable.

Dozens of high-quality layers scroll in every direction delivering a convincing parallax effect, the speed of the game and size of the levels means constantly streaming assets in and out of memory as you play while physics, post-processing and special effects tax the GPU. At its core, Will of the Wisps is built on Unity... to a certain extent. With full access to the source code for the engine, the team has essentially crafted their own highly tuned fork nicknamed 'Moonity' which offers the performance and features necessary to built a game like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back