Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

So looks like the ability to cycle through at least the last 4 games played. I wonder if that's a hard limit or if it'll allow swapping between more games? Although honestly, 4 games is already a pretty decent number to be switching between regularly...unless you have a lot of kids.
This is a tricky one. If Microsoft are allocating a maximum amount of 'swap' usage space on the SSD it should be as many games that fit but because of the variable size of games, it could be three games or maybe ten if you frequently play a bunch of indie titles, then it becomes inconsistent and unpredictable. I'd lean toward X number with it always being X number.

This is a tricky one. If Microsoft are allocating a maximum amount of 'swap' usage space on the SSD it should be as many games that fit but because of the variable size of games, it could be three games or maybe ten if you frequently play a bunch of indie titles, then it becomes inconsistent and unpredictable. I'd lean toward X number with it always being X number.
Four full fat Series S games is a 32Gb reserve, assume no compression. That's doesn't seem too bad. I don't see how they could avoid having that max reserve and maintain the experience they're going for.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...is-how-xbox-series-s-back-compat-really-works

Kicking off with games running on the vintage 2001 Xbox - the 'OG' machine - we've confirmed that Xbox Series S will run these games at an enhanced resolution. There's a 3x boost to resolution on both axes, meaning that titles targeting 480p on the original machine will hit a maximum of 1440p on Series S, presumably with a range of performance benefits. The good news continues with the enhanced Xbox 360 titles that were released for Xbox One X. These games will also be enhanced for Series S, this time running with a 2x2 resolution multiplier, bringing titles that ran at native 720p up to 1440p.

heh. There's that number again. :p

"We designed the Series S to enhance the Xbox One S games in a way that the Xbox One X can't do," system architect Andrew Goossen tells us. "We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well. When games are updated, existing games can query to determine whether they're running on the new console. And in terms of the performance, the Series S provides well over double the effective CPU and GPU performance over the Xbox One, making it pretty straightforward for the games to do this. And in fact, the Series S GPU runs the Xbox One S games with better performance than the Xbox One X."

I'll take the framerate target boost over 4K. Wonder which titles will be enhanced.

Last edited:
OG xbox BC is a need, there arent that many 2001 og xbox out there, and theres basically no emulation and/or roms available. The console had quite many games that never made it elsewhere or in a downgraded form (halo pc).

OG xbox BC is a need, there arent that many 2001 og xbox out there, and theres basically no emulation and/or roms available. The console had quite many games that never made it elsewhere or in a downgraded form (halo pc).
Indeed. I'd say the best of the bunch for me was Ninja Gaiden Black. It basically looks like the magazine bullshots with a perfect framerate.

It's just a shame that there are licensing issues for so many titles.

Indeed. I'd say the best of the bunch for me was Ninja Gaiden Black. It basically looks like the magazine bullshots with a perfect framerate.

Yes that game was something else graphically back then, a generation apart from GCN/PS2, together with the liandry conflict (went undet the radar?) defined what the OG xbox could do.
It was also a masterpiece gameplay wise, a very hard game at that. But rewarding when you came further. There was Ninja Gaiden and NG black i think the latter was some sort of 'DLC'. I have both installed on the HDD/OG xbox.

Wow that was a huge win for XSS. Double framerate is a nice clarity boost!! Hopefully they have a lot of titles being supported in this way.

Wow that was a huge win for XSS. Double framerate is a nice clarity boost!! Hopefully they have a lot of titles being supported in this way.
I'd be very curious if they could support 120 ->60Hz downsampling since most folks have 60Hz TVs. So.... Killer Instinct & Forza @ 120fps running on 60Hz sets.

Hopefully, they showcase all the supported titles at launch soon. Maybe Tuesday?

I'd be very curious if they could support 120 ->60Hz downsampling since most folks have 60Hz TVs. So.... Killer Instinct & Forza @ 120fps running on 60Hz sets.

Hopefully, they showcase all the supported titles at launch soon. Maybe Tuesday?
Maybe so! Certainly makes XSS have a lot more appeal. Seems like a purchase for me here. The TV upstairs is old; lacks the features of smart TVs and kids play all the older titles. The speed of XBO is so slow; can’t stand it lol

Last edited:
Four full fat Series S games is a 32Gb reserve, assume no compression. That's doesn't seem too bad. I don't see how they could avoid having that max reserve and maintain the experience they're going for.

Or it could just be limited to how much space you have left and one of those things the OS could ask you if you want to clean it up when you run out of disk space.

Back