Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, and it is strange that 120fps is mentioned so much when it is only available such a tiny, tiny fraction of gamers out here.

maybe we'll benefit from 120fps if we play in theater mode on the PSVR 2.

Yeah, maybe MS needed to harp on the 120fps too because they may have a VR system down the line?

I got my 65" TCL when I got my XB1X mainly for HDR(I even sacrificed size 55" instead of 65"). I wasn't even thinking of frame-rate. Not even sure I could have gotten a 120Hz HDR10/Dolby Vision TV at my price point back then. The only way I get another TV is if one of mine dies. Better not happen within 2 years.

Hopefully, they don't cap framerate to refresh rate so I can test whether I can tell the difference.

Tommy McClain

Hopefully, they don't cap framerate to refresh rate so I can test whether I can tell the difference.

Tommy McClain

I mean, if someone hadn’t thought about it before, my 120-to-60 fps super motion blur idea would have been revolutionary, so I’m putting this down as a huge win for me and my brain.

Changing the world, one already-patented idea at a time.

Always wait until you get a 100%+ upgrade

Someone being on a 2080 going to a 3080 will get close to that in raw rasterization then. In ray tracing 200% or so. This early. I don't think that ever happened before going from one arch to another. Maybe the 90's?
Him going from a 1070 to a 3070 or 3080 will be a rather huge leap. Aside from ray tracing and pure rasterization performance, he will net some nice DLSS uplift with the tensor hardware and a large amount of other features like RTX IO.

maximum Crysis! Some kind of new Crysis but not. I didnt' expect a big difference, but it's obvious the GPU is not the issue.

What about a maximum framerate? -for CPUs-

As of currently I am waiting for what AMD has to offer GPU wise so 1440p 165fps on ALL games -or those unlike Ashes of Singularity- and I wonder if a maximum framerate article comparing CPUs could be interesting, 'cos most people has a framerate target and depending at which framerate you want to run those games, the CPU isn't a burden -I mean, at 60fps most 4 cores CPUs could do fine, 8 cores CPUs at 120, etc etc-

https://www.techspot.com/review/2041-ryzen-2700x-vs-3700x/
CSGO_1440p-p.webp

1080p at 120Hz at 299 is a hell of a deal. There, I said it.
Hate quoting myself, but this post has not aged well.

PS5 with more than double the power, more storage, much more RAM,all for 399? Now that is a Hell of a Deal, and I'm sorry to say that XSS has now been officially downgraded from Hell of a Deal to Limbo of a Deal.

Get it? Limbo? No? Never mind me, please proceed with your day.

PS5 with more than double the power, more storage, much more RAM,all for 399? Now that is a Hell of a Deal, and I'm sorry to say that XSS has now been officially downgraded from Hell of a Deal to Limbo of a Deal.

If you can find one :). Lol. I mean it seems like a unicorn price. It’s there to get people excited to get one, but I think most people are grabbing the disc version

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...is-how-xbox-series-s-back-compat-really-works

SSAA for ogXbox and 360 Enchanted titles:
Kicking off with games running on the vintage 2001 Xbox - the 'OG' machine - we've confirmed that Xbox Series S will run these games at an enhanced resolution. There's a 3x boost to resolution on both axes, meaning that titles targeting 480p on the original machine will hit a maximum of 1440p on Series S, presumably with a range of performance benefits. The good news continues with the enhanced Xbox 360 titles that were released for Xbox One X. These games will also be enhanced for Series S, this time running with a 2x2 resolution multiplier, bringing titles that ran at native 720p up to 1440p.

Similar boost operation (as unpatched games running on Scorpio):
Only the Series X will benefit from Xbox One X enhancements to existing games - which typically boils down to resolution boosts, higher quality textures and other graphics-driven effects. Xbox Series S brings its additional horsepower to bear in improving the experience of Xbox One S titles instead. This is more limiting in some respects (a game hard-coded to run at 900p will not run any higher on Series S, for example) but the new console benefits from increased resolutions in games that use dynamic resolution scaling, as well as improvements to texture filtering quality. Obviously, running games from solid state storage reduces loading times significantly, while the Auto HDR feature we've seen running on Series X also features on Series S - all games should present nicely on HDR screens, whether they natively support high dynamic range or not. It's a feature I personally can't wait to test. Finally, it goes without saying that CPU-limited titles should also deliver more stable performance at target frame-rates.

Select XO titles enchanted to double framerate:
"We designed the Series S to enhance the Xbox One S games in a way that the Xbox One X can't do," system architect Andrew Goossen tells us. "We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well. When games are updated, existing games can query to determine whether they're running on the new console. And in terms of the performance, the Series S provides well over double the effective CPU and GPU performance over the Xbox One, making it pretty straightforward for the games to do this. And in fact, the Series S GPU runs the Xbox One S games with better performance than the Xbox One X."

the compatibility team can step in with its own specific type of magic, opening the door to running 30fps games at 60fps and 60fps titles at 120fps

Well damn.

Last edited:

This gives me hope that more games will see framerate doubling for everyone with next-gen consoles (PS5 and Xbox Series).

DigitalFoundry Article said:
"There's no real perf tuning necessary when you do this, and so often it's just as easy as changing three lines of code, and then the game works." Goossen adds. "Even when it's not that easy, the fixes are still pretty minor. We had one triple-A title where doubling the frame-rate really worked perfectly, except that the crowd animation was twice as fast as normal. And so, those sorts of fixes are typically very, very easy for developers to go fix. We're working with game developers and publishers to update [their titles]. It'll basically be select games that run at a doubled frame-rate on the Series S."

Some games will be able to see this functionality enabled by the developer themselves, while others may be collaborations between the game maker and Microsoft's compatibility team.

1080p / 120fps or 1440p / 60fps for 299, plus GamePass for $ 10 a month with 250 games is clearly the DEAL for casual gamers.

Storage doesn’t matter because Xbox SS games take up less space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back