The scalability and evolution of game engines *spawn*

The bold part is not correct. PS5 has the hardware for kraken decompression, but oodle works with all common compression formats (like zlib). The result of "oodle" is nothing that must get decompressed.
Oddle never gets decompressed or something it is just a "simple" datarestructuring with a texture compression on top.
This also works on PS4 & xb1 (even on xb360 and PS3).

Yes, kraken might be a bit more efficient (up to ~10%), but you loose much of the efficiency the smaller the data is. And as you want to chunk the data as small as possible (because you don't want to load whole e.g. 4k textures at once if you have a ssd) more and more of this efficiency get lost.

Oodle kraken is a generalist compression algorithm specialized on game data. It exists since 2016.

http://www.radgametools.com/oodlekraken.htm

You make a confusion between Oodle Kraken and oodle texture. Oodle texture release in June 2020. Oodle texture is a RDO compression tools restructuring the texture data to be more compressible by general compression algorithm like kraken or zlib or lz4. RDO compression is lossy and other tools did it before Oodle texture like binomial crunch.

http://www.radgametools.com/oodletexture.htm

Binomial crunch

https://github.com/BinomialLLC/crunch

And SSD work better with bigger file than with 4kb files, they work better with file of at least 64 kb.

Last edited:
You can't calculate oodle into this. Oodle is already used on PS4/xb1. It works with many compression formats. It is just not a PS5 only thing. And it is not the only compression format that restructures a texture so it can get compressed more efficiently.
And not to forget, it is not a lossless compression format.

It is good, but not the holy grail of texture compression ;)

Very true, but for the point of this specific size discussion Spider Man was being used.
I thought oodle was only released in 2020 so post dated Spiderman, so when looking to what the next generation version of this game could come in at, we have some metrics to use

Edit, must check eyesight as ninja'd by a good 3 hours :/

Last edited:
I have a 1TB SSD in my PS4 and it feels squeezed today especially when I had multiple MP shooters installed.

I expect that with next generation games that contains both multiplayer and single player campaign, you can delete the single player campaign to save some space.

Am I the only one more excited about the incoming deluge of DF style comparison videos than with the actual new consoles that they will be running on? I had no idea Spider-man:MM was coming to PS4 until today, and I can't wait to see the concessions that need to be made to support both consoles.

Nobody else did either. That's why it's such a trainwreck. LOL

Tommy McClain

I think the trainwreck was in thinking that Sony was done with making money off the ps4 user base. There are what 100m or so of them out there and 0 ps5s ? So why would sony cut out the possibility to sell to that crowd. I think the p5 and likewise the xbox series will sell well enough on their own this holiday and next holiday. Its the same as with halo. People keep saying oh they should cancel the xbox one versions. Why ? The game is basicly done on the xbox one they would loose 50m or more users that way. Spiderman was a competed game and engine on the ps4 how many sales would they loose out on in that instance.

it just makes the most sense.

according to wiki these are the sony published ps5 games announced, Seems 70% are ps5 only

These are ps5 only

Astro's Playroom
Demon's Souls
Destruction AllStars
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
God of War: Ragnarök
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal

these are ps5 and ps4

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Horizon Forbidden West

There doesnt seem many? Wheres the naughty dog games etc

Is God of War: Ragnarök confirmed as PS5 only. I'd have thought that if anything scales* well it'd be a GoW game.

*Can't quite achieve the punage this clearly deserves

according to wiki these are the sony published ps5 games announced, Seems 70% are ps5 only

These are ps5 only

Astro's Playroom
Demon's Souls
Destruction AllStars
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
God of War: Ragnarök
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal

these are ps5 and ps4

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Horizon Forbidden West

There doesnt seem many? Wheres the naughty dog games etc

Astros playroom, returnal, allstars ;)
Ratchet graphically better then fw all of a sudden? Last show it was the best looking one.

LOL. So PS5 exclusive games that aren't coming out until late 2021 or 2022 are somehow included as launch titles and showing some "clean break with past generations" Sony promised everyone a few months ago?

News just in: MS is making a clean break with this generation too as Fable, Avowed and new Forza are coming out in the "launch window" in 2022. LMAO!

LOL. So PS5 exclusive games that aren't coming out until late 2021 or 2022 are somehow included as launch titles and showing some "clean break with past generations" Sony promised everyone a few months ago?

News just in: MS is making a clean break with this generation too as Fable, Avowed and new Forza are coming out in the "launch window" in 2022. LMAO!

Yes now its enough, their both having ballpark the same strategies (cross gen). We have been hearing for about two or three months now from the sony side how much of a fckup everything is for MS thanks to cross-gen. Lets not go the same route for PS. That horse is beaten to death now.

All games look great, spiderman, FS2020, hellblade 2, fable, forbidden west.... scaling is king, those games are atleast a match for titles that are exclusive to a specific platform like R&C, cause honestly, aside from SSD tech, the rendering isn't so far ahead, looks like something that could work on PS4/pro.
If Sony would have dropped those 100´+ million users (and counting).... that would have been a large loss.

Il keep my PS4 for a while, i want to play FW, it's amazing they got that to run on 2013 hardware. Seeing the footage it looked very impressive, see the DF analysis on it.

Yes now its enough, their both having ballpark the same strategies (cross gen). We have been hearing for about two or three months now from the sony side how much of a fckup everything is for MS thanks to cross-gen. Lets not go the same route for PS. That horse is beaten to death now.

All games look great, spiderman, FS2020, hellblade 2, fable, forbidden west.... scaling is king, those games are atleast a match for titles that are exclusive to a specific platform like R&C, cause honestly, aside from SSD tech, the rendering isn't so far ahead, looks like something that could work on PS4/pro.
If Sony would have dropped those 100´+ million users (and counting).... that would have been a large loss.

Il keep my PS4 for a while, i want to play FW, it's amazing they got that to run on 2013 hardware. Seeing the footage it looked very impressive, see the DF analysis on it.

Where did you see Fable realtime footage? This is a offline rendering trailer like , Avowed or States of Decay 3.

Hellbade 2 is in engine at 60% of 4k and 24 frame per second. Forza is in engine at 4k and 30 fps.

Where did you see Fable realtime footage? This is a offline rendering trailer like , Avowed or States of Decay 3.

Could be representative of ingame graphics. It's like HB2 and FW's in-engine demos which basically could look a whole different when comparing to the final game. We don't know, as there hasnt been much ingame gameplay from many games so far, aside from R&C (and FS2020, then).

I doubt their straight out lying posting these screenshots. Probably of what to about expect, but not ingame. We will have to wait and see :p

Could be representative of ingame graphics. It's like HB2 and FW's in-engine demos which basically could look a whole different when comparing to the final game. We don't know, as there hasnt been much ingame gameplay from many games so far, aside from R&C (and FS2020, then).

I doubt their straight out lying posting these screenshots. Probably of what to about expect, but not ingame. We will have to wait and see :p

There is nothing reprentative of in game graphics. This is not even in engine. This is pure offline rendering trailer. The screenshot are made by Klobrille he is not a Microsoft employee but a fan of Xbox games.

There is nothing reprentative of in game graphics. This is not even in engine. This is pure offline rendering trailer. The screenshot are made by Klobrille he is not a Microsoft employe but a fan of Xbox games.

Aha ok, well we will have to wait and see how next gen games are going to look then ;)

Is God of War: Ragnarök confirmed as PS5 only. I'd have thought that if anything scales* well it'd be a GoW game.

*Can't quite achieve the punage this clearly deserves

Naah!, I don't think PS4 can render all those skin wrinkles and scars on Kratos when he has fought through Ragnarok:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back