Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Looks like SONY was thinking ahead with the USB and wireless, nice. That means you could use Bluetooth headphones. It's super lame XSX doesn't have optical out this time which means I can't use my Toslink to Bluetooth adapter on XSX. This along with the slower USB ports is pushing me towards PS5. Basically can't use Bluetooth headphones with XSX, *facepalm* Think I'll just get a PS5 and skip XSX.
Unless you're using HDMI 2.1, you can easily solve that with a HDMI audio extractor with optical output, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/NEWCARE-Extractor-Converter-Optical-Adapter/dp/B083DDGGZ4

I don't know if getting two adapters in series (audio extractor + bluetooth adapter) will get you too much latency, though.

Ideally, Microsoft should just support USB Audio cards. That way you could use a USB Bluetooth adapter like this one and stream directly from the console to the headphones.
I use that on my PS4 to connect bluetooth speakers and bluetooth headphones and it works pretty well.

Wasn't the PS3 fat bigger?

Tommy McClain
The first PS3 "fat" had a 400W PSU. 384W@12V and 15W@5V.
https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Power_Supply

Come on, the sense of accomplishment of being able to secure PS5 stuff, must be better than the normal day job stuff :p
Now managed the get the Media Remote. The DualSense Charging Station is unavailable which means I didn't click refresh often enough and the first lot fo stock has sold out. Maybe I can grab one later. My DS4 charging station I had to import from Canada!

Unless you're using HDMI 2.1, you can easily solve that with a HDMI audio extractor with optical output, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/NEWCARE-Extractor-Converter-Optical-Adapter/dp/B083DDGGZ4

I don't know if getting two adapters in series (audio extractor + bluetooth adapter) will get you too much latency, though.

Ideally, Microsoft should just support USB Audio cards. That way you could use a USB Bluetooth adapter like this one and stream directly from the console to the headphones.
I use that on my PS4 to connect bluetooth speakers and bluetooth headphones and it works pretty well.

The first PS3 "fat" had a 400W PSU. 384W@12V and 15W@5V.
https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Power_Supply

I currently have everything (gaming wise) going into a 4K UHD compat splitter and then out to the TV. My TV has optical out which feeds my amp.

I guess the best option for me is to get the best optical out headset and split the TV output? I don't want to degrade the 3D aspects of next gen...I've pre-ordered the PS5 Pulse but will also game on Xbox and Switch so maybe I should put my £90 elsewhere? If so (considering I need to use it with PSVR and Oculus etc) - any idea on the best headset?

I like the fact sony will keep supporting ps4 for 4 more years. It's much better option for consumer than killing ps4 and then bringing in a new console to ps4 pricepoint. This paves way for generationless consoles,... No reason not to buy ps5 asap. PS5 will be supported for very long time and the cost gets amortized over long time. Should also bring in big mass and money for sony which then shows up as quality games. Those single player short(ish) triple a games are not cheap to make.

I also like that ps4 gamebundle idea that comes with psn+ for ps5. That's a great way to give something back to consumers and also get people try out new ip. This potentially leads consumer buying the ps5 versions as they liked the ps4 version and got it "cheap". Buying expensive ps5 version feels not as bad as the previous game was cheap/free.

Last edited:
So with a good number of the games being available on PS4 without the DS5 controller, does anyone realize or feel the sting of Sony not supporting the existing DS4 controller on the PS5 for "PS5 games"? And instead being forced to spend another $70 for a second controller?

I like the fact sony will keep supporting ps4 for 4 more years. It's much better option for consumer than killing ps4 and then bringing in a new console to ps4 pricepoint. This paves way for generationless consoles,... No reason not to buy ps5 asap. PS5 will be supported for very long time and the cost gets amortized over long time. Should also bring in big mass and money for sony which then shows up as quality games. Those single player short(ish) triple a games are not cheap to make.

I also like that ps4 gamebundle idea that comes with psn+ for ps5. That's a great way to give something back to consumers and also get people try out new ip. Thos potentially leads consumer buying the ps5 versions as they liked the ps4 version and got it "cheap". Buying expensive ps5 version feels not as bad as the previous game was cheap/free.

Yes abit like Apple it seems, where older products dont get burried right away, you get a near experience even on the older hardwares.
Scaling is so good these days that it doesnt matter all that much anyways. Spiderman looks really good, a real leap from the first spiderman. Same for FW. We can blame the hardware for that too, since we didnt really see such a huge jump aside from SSD and RT tech.

Scaling can be done worse too, Infinite engine didnt scale that nicely, hence the delay to fix that. Cross-gen isn't so bad, so has sony shown now.

Keep your PS 4Pro and wait for a PS5 Slimmer edition?
I repeat my question: how wide is the support of ps4-pro enhanced games on ps5 ? Ps5 is guaranteed to be 99% BC with ps4. But with ps4pro ? Well days ago we knew that XSS is NOT BC with OneX enhanced games.... So my question is not so trivial.

I use a usb DAC/amp for my headphones when I travel, so its plug and play with the PS4. The only way to do it on xbone was to have DAC with optical-in and now that option is gone with the newer systems.

I use a usb DAC/amp for my headphones when I travel, so its plug and play with the PS4. The only way to do it on xbone was to have DAC with optical-in and now that option is gone with the newer systems.

A lot of the current audio options seem to have a firmware upgrade so they can function through the USB port going forward. This was linked around here somewhere earlier, but I can't find it right now.

I got mine from smyths, wow now only a couple places left with stock! The hunger is real!

I'll just wait. The console, second controller and media remote were my must haves. The charging station is a convenience thing.

So with a good number of the games being available on PS4 without the DS5 controller, does anyone realize or feel the sting of Sony not supporting the existing DS4 controller on the PS5 for "PS5 games"? And instead being forced to spend another $70 for a second controller?

No. if Sony allow DualShock 4 controllers to control PS5 games, there is little incentive for devs to properly support DualSense features. Sometimes you just need to cut ties with the past and force people to upgrade otherwise we'd all still have digital directional buttons like the original PlatStation controller.

@steveOrino @ToTTenTranz

Found one of them more recent, seems a $40 hdmi audio extractor for PS5 and simple free firmware update for SeriesX: https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/0...ies-x-upgrade-a40-a20-mixamp-firmware-update/

Thankfully, Astro have revealed just how their various headsets will be able to handle the jump to the next generation, with a mixture of new headset releases, firmware updates, accessories and workarounds. With neither PlayStation 5 nor Xbox Series X featuring a TOSLINK optical audio out, this has created a few conundrums to solve.​

To solve this on PlayStation 5, Astro are releasing a $40 HDMI Adapter that will breakout optical audio from the PlayStation 5’s HDMI output, enabling sound and voice chat to be mixed.​

Meanwhile on Xbox Series X, there will be firmware updates released to add USB support for the headsets on Xbox Series X​

I also don't see the big hoopla, now if it turns out no game over the next year is a PS5 exclusive then I can understand.
There is hoopla, people didn't expect Horizon and Spiderman to be cross gen, Sony never even implied it but definitely benefited from all beating MS took and then riled on it some more. (even though Matt Booty confirmed not all 1st party devs will deliver cross gen games in first 2 years, and its not requirement).

But they are coming of the back of some serious profit/years, its now they should take the hit. Unless they do not belive they can migrate enough people over to PS5 fast enough. If they where able to migrate 100% of all their PS4 customers to PS5 now, you think would not have grabbed that with two hands and Tyson ear bit?
So then its just a question what is the % that is enough to take the hit and do they belive they can do it?
Of course there will be people, like me, that will shell out 499 instead of 399 if I can not get a hold of a 399 box, but I assume that all people are not like me in the PS4 userbase.
That cash doesn't go into a piggyback even if that would deliver them a war chest for later fights. Any company with the kind of warchest necessary to fight like this would be at risk from a reverse takeover by activist investors. It's why so many companies are "asset light" because if you sit on actual cash or high value real estate some poxy vulture fund will up and buy you to gut you.

There is hoopla, people didn't expect Horizon and Spiderman to be cross gen, Sony never even implied it but definitely benefited from all beating MS took and then riled on it some more. (even though Matt Booty confirmed not all 1st party devs will deliver cross gen games in first 2 years, and its not requirement).

I'm not saying there isn't a hoopla but there isn't one for me. I will say I'm disappointed that Forbidden West is being held back by current gen.

I'm not saying there isn't a hoopla but there isn't one for me. I will say I'm disappointed that Forbidden West is being held back by current gen.
Does FW being on PS4 change the way it looks? Nah, so why care? Hoopla issue is only duo to beating MS left and right by everyone on this topic just to do the same. Otherwise, makes 0 diff for me. Games are getting bigger, they are more expensive and no body should be surprised if good amount of 1st party games end up on last gen consoles. Always was the case, now its even easier duo to lack of HW differences.

The exclusives new is a tad upsetting but the PS5 still has some exclusives;
GoW
Returnal
Astro
Demon Souls
Destruction Allstars
Project Athia
R&C
GT7

And talk of Silent Hill reboot.

Does FW being on PS4 change the way it looks? Nah, so why care? Hoopla issue is only duo to beating MS left and right by everyone on this topic just to do the same. Otherwise, makes 0 diff for me. Games are getting bigger, they are more expensive and no body should be surprised if good amount of 1st party games end up on last gen consoles. Always was the case, now its even easier duo to lack of HW differences.

It's a shame we won't have an open world PS5 exclusive game to show us what SSD brings to the design table.

Back