Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Depends how many people in the household are sharing the console. 2 or more and that limit might be reached pretty quickly. Personally I tend to have one or two big AAA action/adventure games on the go, a racing game on the side (for the change) and then a library of VR titles for the experience (e.g. having a drink, break out Beat Sabre).

But my wife also has 1 or 2 AAA's on the go at the same time, and as she games way more than I do she's always a few games ahead of me.
To be clear I'm not saying it's ideal, just that we don't know the install sizes and actual amount of games generally played concurrently.
Even your situation may be workable without to much problems by the sounds of it (xsx)
But a service like GP could really make trying out and downloading games a lot more prevalent.

Imo still easily a worthy trade of to have ssd.

Out of curiosity how long does 50GB take to copy across a decent usb connection?
Think external storage is going to be even more a thing than it is currently.
Be nice if you could also manage it remotely via app. Feel like playing a game, start it copying before even get home etc.

Depends how many people in the household are sharing the console. 2 or more and that limit might be reached pretty quickly. Personally I tend to have one or two big AAA action/adventure games on the go, a racing game on the side (for the change) and then a library of VR titles for the experience (e.g. having a drink, break out Beat Sabre).

But my wife also has 1 or 2 AAA's on the go at the same time, and as she games way more than I do she's always a few games ahead of me.

buy the hard drive expansion and plug and play.

You can get a 1TB for VR a 1TB for your wife and and 1TB for the dog.

buy the hard drive expansion and plug and play.

You can get a 1TB for VR a 1TB for your wife and and 1TB for the dog.

I'm on PC so storage isn't a concern at present given there's no need for a high speed NVMe.

But I am concerned about next gen storage requirements. I'll be getting a Gen4 NVMe for sure, but they're crazy expensive and I'm concerned 1TB or even 2TB won't be enough, as I like to have a wide variety of games on easy access at any given time.

Consoles have it good in this respect since storage is hot swappable by default.

I'm on PC so storage isn't a concern at present given there's no need for a high speed NVMe.

But I am concerned about next gen storage requirements. I'll be getting a Gen4 NVMe for sure, but they're crazy expensive and I'm concerned 1TB or even 2TB won't be enough, as I like to have a wide variety of games on easy access at any given time.

Consoles have it good in this respect since storage is hot swappable by default.
Yea I like the fact that the Series X and S storage expansion cards are hot swappable. But I doubt the PS5 will be, right? You'll likely have to power down the system and open it up.

On my PC I plan on getting some USB enclosures for my Gen 3 drives and throwing my Gen 4 drives on the motherboard. I want to be rid of HDDs once and for all.

You can just move non-used games to another drive that doesn't have to be NVME? I have a 8TB HDD for storage in my main pc, but game installs go to the nvme when i want them to.

Quick resume has nothing to do with the size of the installed game, but the size of it's footprint in RAM. I believe Microsoft is using a 40 - 50 GB portion of the NVME for it's Quick Resume functionality. Think of it as hibernation file for a game.

But yes, if you want to install more games than you have room for, you'll have to juggle. You can run original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One, and Xbox One X games from any typical external USB HDD.

From memory footprints, here's roughly the various sizes from what I can guesstimate: a little over 64 Meg for Original Xbox games, 512 Meg for Xbox 360 games, 5 GB for Xbox One games, 9 GB for Xbox One X games, 8 GB for Xbox Series S games, and 13.5 GB for Xbox Series X games.

Also, saves are also persistent to the cloud. If the game is part of xCloud, then you can pick up and play from your last save point on your Android device or anything that supports xCloud.

This is one of the reasons why I am a proponent of that 100 GB available to games is a giant preloaded page file. Why write 13.5 GBs of data back to the SDD when a large portion (textures) already resides there? Instead of pointing and loading from memory addresses comprised of redundant data just point to and load that data that's been there since install.

The writes to the SDD to facilitate quick resume can be much smaller for XS designed games.

I would imagine that with the faster speed of ssd vs the hdd they would be able to reduce the size of games some what. But hey moving to a new medium always has issues.

The move from cart to cd did have a benefit but also introduced the need for memory cards. Dvds eventually became to slow and required hard drives and so on and so forth.

Official dimensions...

Eh53HatWoAIwQwg

4.4 kg for our non-US brethren.

11.85in x 5.94in x 5.94in for my US brethren.

Why the mixing up of units? SMH

Tommy McClain

Thank god guys , AMD has confirmed that the xbox series will run navi 2

This is also interesting:

"driven by key, new hardware-accelerated features such as seamless content paging from the SSD to the GPU"

I might be stretching but this sounds like a reasonable description of HBCC to me which would also fall in line with how Microsoft describes a portion of the SSD being accessible for games.

If they bring that tech to the PC along with Direct Storage compatible GPU accelerated decompression like RTX IO, then we would essentially be seeing the full velocity architecture on PC which would potentially give them an advantage over Nvidia.

The Series X specs page is showing 3.66Ghz with SMT on, that is a slight upclock from initial specifications.
It is more like that this is not really interesting. The series x has also a bit more than 12 TF, but, well who cares ;)
Those exact numbers are only interesting if you not have the fastest "console" (from the numbers). Then every small step that reduces the gap is interesting for marketing. For everything else -> keep it simple.
It was more or less the same with the current gen, where MS always communicated the precise TF number for the xb1.

Back